Albums of the year 2011

From Three Dimes Down:

David Barbe will be playing bass in our upcoming shows. He has been part of the DBT family since 2000.

http://threedimesdown.com/

Didn't Barbe play in the Screwtopians (as well as produce most of the DBT records?)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't get mumford.

I am in perfect congruence with you. They just seem to swell with emotion and earnestness at every perfect and calculated arc. It's like they're desperately trying to empathize with you with every vague event. They can make all the music they want, but they really are a label's act trying to make money by pandering emotionally as widely as possible. There is no beauty; it's just Splenda.

You think? I disagree.

I think ABAAC is the worst out of the last four -- but it does contain one of my favorite DBT songs.

The Big To-Do is back in rotation in my car. It's heavier than BTCD and Go-Go Boots for sure, but definitely has that southern soul edge their music has now. I like the addition of the keys/organ to their sound and I think the songwriting is as strong as ever. That being said -- BTCD is a bit bloated. They could've trimmed some fat on that one.

DBT has just really disappointed me lately. I thought The Big To-Do was going to lead to their righting the ship, but I really dislike Go-Go Boots. And I don't think the songwriting is even close to what they did through The Dirty South. Plus, Shonna's songs were terrible.

As for the other mentioned bands, I really like Bon Iver, can't stand Mumford & Sons, and don't like Dawes. So there. :)

Didn't Barbe play in the Screwtopians (as well as produce most of the DBT records?)

I believe Barbe has produced every DBT studio album except Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance. And he was a Screwtopian. And before he started producing records, he was the bassist in Sugar. He also has a couple albums of his own (which I highly recommend).

416N1PXY0GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

3417960312-1.jpg

it's just Splenda.

hey, that's a good way to express it. the sweetness is there, but, at zero calories...there has to be some trade-off, somehow, somewhere, and i guess it's the trade-off that keeps me away from splenda.

and mumford.

No love for TV On the Radio? That may actually be my favorite of the year in front of Tom Waits.

i'm catching up on some albums now that i've some downtime. one i'm catching up on is tv on the radio, and i'm liking it. two others that haven't gotten any love on this thread yet that i think may be worthy are beirut's and m83's. both are pretty solid, i'm discovering, spin after spin. the m83 is particularly interesting.

i'm catching up on some albums now that i've some downtime. one i'm catching up on is tv on the radio, and i'm liking it. two others that haven't gotten any love on this thread yet that i think may be worthy are beirut's and m83's. both are pretty solid, i'm discovering, spin after spin. the m83 is particularly interesting.

I thought TV On The Radio made a good album, but not quite great. M83's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is very good: it's like a giant John Hughes tribute.

Little top ten I whipped up just now, first half critical darlings, second half playful:

01 Wilco - The Whole Love

02 The Decemberists - The King is Dead

03 Girls - Record 3: Father, Son, Holy Ghost

04 Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo

05 Bill Callahan - Apocalypse

06 The Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing

07 Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know

08 Slow Club - Paradise

09 Emmy The Great - Virtue

10 Seapony - Go With Me