Nels named in Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Guitarists of All-Time List

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah including Lou Reed is a joke...and Bruce Springsteen? c'mon. i guess i know who Jon Landau voted for...

including Paul Simon is really stupid too. yeah, he gets in, but not someone like Steve Howe.

another WTF moment...Leslie West at 66? really?

where is John McGeoch? he only contributed vitally to bands like Public Image Ltd, Magazine, and Siouxsie and The Banshees... i know it's RS so i should expect it, but still...

i would like to see the individual ballots of the voters:

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

This is a very age centric list, and about what you would expect from Rolling Stone.

There are only 5 players on the list under the age of 50 and only 1 under the age of 40.

Rock isn't dead...it's simply afflicted with dinosaurs telling us what is relevant.

Peter Buck at spot #94

And Peter Buck is 55 years of age (or will be soon).

Rolling Stone acts as though ROCK music ceased being relevant after Kirk Cobain ate the shotgun.

From Richard Thompson's website:

Rolling Stone slips to number 69 in Thompson poll

11/27/2011 (updated 11/28/2011)

Rolling Stone, the popular music and related arts and culture magazine, dropped 50 places in Richard Thompson's annual assessment of periodical publications. When asked to comment on the sudden decrease in popularity, Thompson said, "It was a close-run thing for number 68, but I thought Cheese Gourmet Monthly just edged it for their terrific piece on Blue Wensleydale in the August issue. I placed RS above Woman's Realm, which has had some fairly insipid knitting patterns lately." Rolling Stone were unavailable for comment.

yeah including Lou Reed is a joke...and Bruce Springsteen? c'mon. i guess i know who Jon Landau voted for...

including Paul Simon is really stupid too. yeah, he gets in, but not someone like Steve Howe.

another WTF moment...Leslie West at 66? really?

where is John McGeoch? he only contributed vitally to bands like Public Image Ltd, Magazine, and Siouxsie and The Banshees... i know it's RS so i should expect it, but still...

i would like to see the individual ballots of the voters:

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Well...Springsteen can play. But Paul Simon? Joni Mitchell?

From Richard Thompson's website:

Rolling Stone slips to number 69 in Thompson poll

11/27/2011 (updated 11/28/2011)

Rolling Stone, the popular music and related arts and culture magazine, dropped 50 places in Richard Thompson's annual assessment of periodical publications. When asked to comment on the sudden decrease in popularity, Thompson said, "It was a close-run thing for number 68, but I thought Cheese Gourmet Monthly just edged it for their terrific piece on Blue Wensleydale in the August issue. I placed RS above Woman's Realm, which has had some fairly insipid knitting patterns lately." Rolling Stone were unavailable for comment.

BAHAHA!

Well...Springsteen can play. But Paul Simon? Joni Mitchell?

I'm philosophically opposed to ranking talent, but I'd much rather have Paul or Joni's guitar skills than Bruce's.

Listen to either of these and tell me Paul Simon can't play.

51aPnljXgsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41x7-tqlHoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One of the 100 greatest of all time?

Perhaps not. But I wouldn't say he can't play. I see what you're saying. :cheers

It would be nice if RS would clue into what's going on out there NOW. I don't know who the 50 best guitar players who aren't dead and under 30 are. I used to use RS as a clue for what might be going on and what might be interesting to look out for.

Now it is a conpendium of what was.

It would be nice if RS would clue into what's going on out there NOW. I don't know who the 50 best guitar players who aren't dead and under 30 are. I used to use RS as a clue for what might be going on and what might be interesting to look out for.

Now it is a conpendium of what was.

They have done this.

They have done this.

One issue every year just doesn't cut it. And I don't care about some bs RS promotion for some obscure indie band they in whic they have an interest (maybe even financially).