Nels named in Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Guitarists of All-Time List

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't look at the list, as I am not really interested in lists anymore.

But I will say that people such as Joe Bonamassa, Joe Satriani, and Steve Vai all do things I could never do, but they don't move me.

Look up Fleetwood Mac - Worried Dream (live) on Youtube - that's guitar playing with feeling.

Of course, it all comes down to what you are into.

Hendrix always ends up at the top of those lists, he did years ago, and he will the next time they do such an issue. That's cool.

I can watch Rainbow Bridge clips all day long - particularity, the second take of Hey Baby from the film.

This List has for the most part changed the most since last time ; for those North of position 50

for me A Guitarist that Plays With or Evokes Emotion should do well of course needing to be a real gunslinger is understood..

not that you were asking me.....

One issue every year just doesn't cut it. And I don't care about some bs RS promotion for some obscure indie band they in whic they have an interest (maybe even financially).

OK. I was just trying to point out that RS has indeed done these lists for "current" guitarists.

Not sure what criteria is in these things. Do know, however, that Nels versatility is surreal. He can roll Minutemen or flamenco. That has to count for something. Plus, anyone who has heard Impossible Germany knows the man has range. Never understood these things. Hendrix, Townshend, Van Halen, they are the true greats. Know I missed some other geniuses, but also know that if I had any musical ability, wanted to have a chice of where my guitar goes, Nels would be in charge.

OK. I was just trying to point out that RS has indeed done these lists for "current" guitarists.

I must have effectively communicated my disdain for RS and their 'lists' if you are trying to soothe me.

I consider my work here done.

Hendrix always ends up at the top of those lists, he did years ago, and he will the next time they do such an issue. That's cool.

It really is cool. Hendrix at #1 on a best guitarists list is so spot-on that it's nearly infallible. Anyone arguing against it (which is something I've never actually seen) looks like a crazy person.

Not sure what criteria is in these things.

We assembled a panel of top guitarists and other experts to rank their favorites and explain what separates the legends from everyone else. Featuring Keith Richards on Chuck Berry, Carlos Santana on Jerry Garcia, Tom Petty on George Harrison and more.

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Not a bad set of voters... though I agree that some of the rankings on the final list made me scratch my head.

They should have ranked them in order of date of birth.

austin_powers_withthetwinscopy.jpg

Anyone arguing against it (which is something I've never actually seen) looks like a crazy person.

The list is only Rock or Blues guitarists though. Well at least from the one's that I read (only saw the top 10 or so). Was Hendrix the best jazz guitarist? No... I'd say Wes Montgomery or Django Reinhardt was. But Rock guitarist? Yes, Hendrix without a question.

The list is only Rock or Blues guitarists though. Well at least from the one's that I read (only saw the top 10 or so). Was Hendrix the best jazz guitarist? No... I'd say Wes Montgomery or Django Reinhardt was. But Rock guitarist? Yes, Hendrix without a question.

Excellent point on Django Reinhardt and Wes Montgomery.

Chet Atkins and Les Paul were on the list.

that's always been RS's mode of operation...the 500 best bands list a few jazz, soul, blues or reggae artists and then the rest of the 97% is just rock. i wonder why they even bother...

Ranking them By height would have been my choice. Saw a lot of anger Clapton wasn't number one. Think when he stole Patty from George it knocked him down a few pegs. Hendrix is number one and if this was a fair contest 2 through 5 would be eliminated. You can take the live stuff Hendrix did, the first album, and that would be enough. The experimental nature of Electric Ladyland may still be ahead of its time. All this aside, Nels belongs a little deeper in the list, say the 20's or 30's. His work with Wilco is one thing. Anyone who goes on We Jam Econo and cites D Boone as his mentor has more to offer than just his current catalogue. Nels should be closer to the top.

And to be clear, Rolling Stone lost credibility when Hunter Thompson left. Any article from a publication that hasn't been relevant for more than a quarter century is not one I will bother to look up the criteria for one of their best of lists. Thought their 100 greatest Beatle songs special edition, that helped to pay hush money to Jann Wenners ex wife to keep quiet about his affinity for male suitors, stands as a bellewhether re: the credibility of Rolling Stone.

I really don't have a problem with the list but certainly the order is somewhat subjective (ok, the list is all subjective). For example I think Prince is way too high on the list but I know others will disagree. Hendrix is always number 1 and should always be number 1. One of those nice absolutes in life that are so rare. I don't know how you can argue that. One listen to Machine Gun from Band of Gypsy's and the matter is settled, Jazz, classical, whatever.

Peter Buck is turning 55 on December 6, while Marisa Tomei turns 47 on December 4.

http://www.wftv.com/...dec-4-10/nFpr5/

Yeah...but Tomei can't play... :badger

For example I think Prince is way too high on the list but I know others will disagree.

You know what's funny is I am a massive Prince fan, and I think he is a fantastic player, but when people point to the Hall of Fame 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' solo as "the best solo of all-time", all I can think is "but it's not his solo..."