Encore:

Passenger side

Heavy metal drummer

I'm the man that loves you

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an okay show. Would rank last for me on my list of Wilco shows I've been to. The band never really seemed into it. Probably because the crowd never got into it.

I've been to almost 100 concerts, but this was my first Wilco show. Overall, I enjoyed it but yeah it was one of the weirdest crowds I have ever seen. They couldn't decide whether to sit or stand? It was just bizarre! Of course you stand! Whole sections would stand when a song would start and then sit a few seconds into it..just weird.

I was looking at previous Dallas setlists and saw that the 07 and 09 shows at the palladium had a lot more songs on the setlist. Is there any reason why they are playing shorter shows now? I was pretty disappointed about the under 2 hour playing time.

Well shit.

I had a good time.

I guess that's all I really care about.

Well shit.

I had a good time.

I guess that's all I really care about.

I had a good time too..and will definitely see Wilco again...thought they were great. Just thought the crowd was off for the first half..it got better as the show went IMO.

The sound was amazing at this show. Also probably the most angular, aggressive set I've ever seen Wilco play in person. They hit all their touchstones but the set was definitely heavy on the noise and the new material, which I'm guessing is why some of the more casual fans weren't into it. They would've played longer I'm sure but there was a hard 11 p.m. curfew, hence the short encore. Probably the best light show I've ever seen at a rock show, though. Personally I loved it, even if it was a strange show overall.

The sit/stand sit/stand was driving me insane. I would say most of the venue was standing most of the time. My section was up and down constantly. So eventually my girl and I just said forget it and stood the rest of the time, and then people started yelling obscenities at us. So of course we weren't sitting after that. It would be one thing if it was one or the other, but people were up and down all night. When we went to get a beer, some guy followed me out and tried to get in my face over it. I immediately got in his and retorted that 80% of the venue was standing, and I wasn't going to be bothered to pay attention to his status all night and obey accordingly. He just stared at me, said okay, and walked back inside.

And as someone else said, the band notices. They weren't into it at all, because the crowd wasn't into it at all. Everyone started the show standing, and collectively sat down at once about half way through One Sunday Morning. Can't imagine what that does to a band's energy, mentally. Eventually someone threw a bottle at us so we went down front and stood along the wall and had a much better time.

Overall, the worst Wilco experience I've had yet. Awful crowd, dull as dirt set. Very nice venue though.

And as someone else said, the band notices. They weren't into it at all, because the crowd wasn't into it at all. Everyone started the show standing, and collectively sat down at once about half way through One Sunday Morning. Can't imagine what that does to a band's energy, mentally. Eventually someone threw a bottle at us so we went down front and stood along the wall and had a much better time.

Overall, the worst Wilco experience I've had yet. Awful crowd, dull as dirt set. Very nice venue though.

I'm inclined to agree, at least with the awful crowd and dull set part. From what I could see, only one couple and maybe one or two others in the pit could even be bothered to stand up until the rest of the crowd stood to applaud at the end of the main set. It's just human nature that the band would be more engaged when the people in their immediate line of sight seem engaged, or conversely tune out a bit when people they can see seem to be tuned out. Of course, the band can put on a "professional" show with the best of them and most people would never know. But they did seem a bit detached to me last night.

It seemed to me like the crowd was largely made up of people like spouses or significant others who were dragged along; people who claim to be fans of the band yet chattered or looked at their phones for a bulk of the show; or people who claim to be fans of the band yet don't seem to engage with the music in any way whatsoever. I understand that people respond to music in different ways and not everybody is demonstrative, but I just personally don't get how some folks can listen to a song like "A Shot in the Arm" and just remain completely motionless. (Or for that matter, sit in the front row with arms crossed for an entire show. I've seen that on more than one occasion.)

Last night, there was one older gentleman a couple of rows in front of me who looked like he was asleep for most of the show. The most emotion he showed the entire evening was when he tried to take photos a couple of times and was told by an usher that photography wasn't allowed. When the usher warned him one final time and apparently threatened to take away his camera or phone, the guy got into a glaring contest with the usher. It was weird, but a fitting symbol of this audience.

One last note: There may indeed have been a strict 11 p.m. curfew, but there's no question Jeff and Co. significantly amended their encore. I took a look at a printed setlist after the show and the planned encore was:

Via Chicago

Passenger Side

Heavy Metal Drummer

War On War

Standing O

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Red-Eyed/I Got You

Outtasite

So it seems like maybe they could have played past 11 if they had wanted to? Otherwise, why have such a long encore planned? Certainly the show they planned to play would have been a lot closer to two hours (they played about 1:43 -- on at 9:17 p.m. and off at exactly 11).

At least the room was quite good, acoustically speaking... :pirate

Maybe if they didn't play OSM there would be a longer setlist. It's also a very muted (and a little boring) 15 or so minutes to start a show.

I hate to even question a "setlist" with wilco becuase they are one of the few groups that actually change it up nightly but after listening to many recordings of this tour I have to agree it is maybe a mistake to start with OSM. It is very ballsy I will give them that. I guess that is what these discussions are about on this board. I think maybe 10% of the fans get it when it comes to trying to pull off a 10-12 minutes "mellow" song for s concert opening song.

what an embarrassment! One of the worst / emotionless crowds Ive ever been apart of. What a joke! People were throwing garbage/trash and

individuals who were standing?!? I mean c'mon! YOU ARE AT A ROCK CONCERT! Sorry for the vent but I was seriously embarrassed to be a Wilco

fan from Dallas last night.

I think maybe 10% of the fans get it when it comes to trying to pull off a 10-12 minutes "mellow" song for s concert opening song.

I get it allright I just don't think it works. I've been to plenty of shows with a quiet opener and it worked. The show I saw in the Netherlands a few weeks ago started with OSM and it didn't.

I don't think I would go to a Wilco sit-down show either. I've seen them six times, all standing. The only sit-down concerts I've seen were a Magnetic Fields 69 Love Songs show and an acoustic Beck gig. Is it an American thing?

I was more disappointed than embarrassed last night regarding the crowd. Never felt like they got into it.

I was done on the front row on the far right (if you are looking at the stage) with my GF and I think us and the couple right behind us were the only ones standing in the vicinity. Luckily, we didn't have anyone give us any trouble about it.

I will say one thing though, this venue stepped up their game regarding cameras, camera phones, etc....one usher was all over the place at the front shutting people down.

i guess I'm in the minority in liking the gig last night. I sat some, i stood some, i didn't realize i was being graded on my rock etiquette. :worried But i did focus on the music more then how everyone around me was acting. IMO it was typical energy from a Dallas audience on a Tuesday evening. I can't think of anything i would have rather been doing last night then watching Wilco play some new tunes.

I love seated venues for the main reason that you don't have to get there real early to get a good spot and you can sit when you want. The two seated venues I've been to before this were the Will Rogers in Fort Worth and the lecture hall in Denton. Everybody stood for those shows and they were great shows. This was the strangest crowd I've ever seen. And I have no doubt that the band felt disengaged and cut everything short. Combine this crowd with the fact that they couldn't sell the place out, and I'd be surprised if they return to Dallas. I wouldn't.

As for my experience, I sat for the first three songs because everyone else was, but as they were winding up Art of Almost (which sounded great) I thought to myself how ridiculous it was that everyone stayed still. So me and my friend stood. The people behind us started kicking our chairs. When I went to sit down a few songs later, I discovered that the douchebag behind me broke my chair. So I stood the entire show (which I had planned to do anyway).

The place sounded great and the band sounded great. It was just a weird show.

Weird vibe all night. Felt like it was a chicken and egg thing between the band and the audience.

OSM, as much as I love it, unfortunately set the tone for this show.

I really enjoyed Nick Lowe. Thought he was great- but I wonder how different the rest of the night would have been with an opening act from a full-band, or no opening act at all. Just a thought.

Will always enjoy any Wilco show I go to, and last night was no different. It just had a weird vibe back and forth.

The sitting standing thing is interesting from the fan perspective.

From Wilco's perspective, however, i think it is pretty clear - when the crowd is "into it" the band sounds more "into it."

I've seen three shows this Fall (Ryman Night 2, madison, and Berlin). Ryman Night 2 and Berlin - the crowd was heavily into it and the band responded with, in my opinion, exceptional performances.

On the other hand, Madison's crowd was seated mainly and seemed not into it (e.g., "lets go brewers, lets go brewers") and the band's energy didn't seem to be there to me...and as a result the show suffered into lethargic performance.

It is really not something that can be controlled. Either the crowd is into it or not.

Cutting the encore is interesting. While the 11:00 curfew is the likely answer, it is plausible that the band got sick of the show and cut early. The Berlin show's encore was extended by three additional songs per the printed set list.

I was in the rear orchestra so I had a view of most of the crowd. I kept thinking to myself throughout the show that it was like the majority of the crowd didn't want to be there. There was just no energy and no connection between the band and the audience. It also seemed like there was a mass exodus during One Wing. I do hope they come back to Dallas as I would love to see the band again. I'm a relatively new Wilco fan so it was nice to hear some older songs that were new to me. Overall, I'd have to still say it was a good show as it left me wanting more after my first Wilco concert :) Not sure if the weirdness was due to the venue or what? Maybe people thought they should sit since it was in a music hall?

Sorry some of you had a bad experience, but I agree, the sitting/standing thing can ruin a show for sure...

Not to get off topic, but I saw Paul McCartney at Wrigley Field this past summer, and almost got into a fight because of it. I'm 27 and the gentleman behind me was probably near 50, and he was screaming at me to sit down every time I stood up (he was the only one sitting down in the section, but because of the angle, if I sat down, he'd be able to see sitting down). He yelled at me through the first 5 songs, and tried spitting at me. He quieted down, and continually drank his beers, and by the time Paul played Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da (the only song this guy knew the words to) he was standing up singing and dancing. I politely told him that Paul was in the Beatles and they have many other great songs besides this one, and if he wanted to borrow my records sometime I'd be glad to drop them off at his house. Lucky for me that song was soon followed by I've Got A Feeling with an (awesome) extended jam session, which he did not enjoy and he headed to his car where he proceeded to drunk drive and listen to Ob-La-Di on repeat (I can only assume).

If you're going to sit at a show, you are not entitled to be upset at those standing. Every person in non-handicapped seating has the option to sit or stand, and should be able to do so and still enjoy the show. Don't get me started on people talking throughout a whole entire set....

Not sure if the weirdness was due to the venue or what? Maybe people thought they should sit since it was in a music hall?

I think that had something to do with it. That venue seems designed to dampen crowd noise as well--good for sound but maybe bad for energy. Everyone around me seemed pretty into the show.

The sitting/standing thing wasn't that big a deal. I'm sorry people had their chairs kicked, but sometimes you have to go with the flow. If the folks in front of me stood, I stood. If they sat, I sat.

Had they played the same set they played in Denton last night, I think the crowd might have been a little more into it. But I thought it was pretty awesome.

I think that had something to do with it. That venue seems designed to dampen crowd noise as well--good for sound but maybe bad for energy. Everyone around me seemed pretty into the show.

The sitting/standing thing wasn't that big a deal. I'm sorry people had their chairs kicked, but sometimes you have to go with the flow. If the folks in front of me stood, I stood. If they sat, I sat.

Had they played the same set they played in Denton last night, I think the crowd might have been a little more into it. But I thought it was pretty awesome.

That's the thing. It made no difference to me as I preferred to stand. But destroying property at a nice venue because someone in front of you chooses to stand makes no sense to me. I don't understand humans.

This was the first Wilco show I've been to since they toured for AGIB. Egads that was over three albums ago! This show definitely drew heavily on the last four albums. I thought it was a great mix of the "angular" stuff and the more traditional. I was kind of surprised to not hear anything from Being There, which used to provide several staples of the live show. "Passenger Side" got a good reaction, but I wouldn't mind if they skipped this one next time -- it's such a throwaway. There are better songs on AM in my view.

I was in the forward middle section, and we were up and down all night. We finally stood for good about 2/3 of the way through. The front left section never sat down the whole show. Me, I'm a sitter....if I've paid for a seat, I want to use it, and stand for ovations and the like. But I'm old that way.

Terrible parking bottleneck getting out after the show.

Great light show.

Overall a lot of fun for someone who doesn't get out to see this talented band very often.

I think almost every Wilco fan would be a bit disappointed in that set. Wilco played just 2 songs pre-YHF and didn't sprinkle in any mild surprises (songs like Magazine, Hell is Chrome, Pot Kettle Black, Lonely One, Candy Floss, How To Fight Lonliness, Airline To Heaven, Secret of the Sea, etc...).

The planned encore would have spiced things up a lot, so maybe a curfew or bad crowd prevented that.