Dallas 11/29/2011

I enjoyed the show. Just not as much as every other Wilco show I've been to. It wasn't solely because of the crowd necessarily, but my own perception of a lack of energy in the band, which I attribute to the disengaged nature of the crowd in general.

It was a professional but by-the-books performance. But Tweedy had very little to say, seemed a little disinterested in playing to the crowd, and played a three-song encore. Those were all firsts in my experiences with Wilco shows.

what this guy said

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but this thread is kind of ridiculous.

Yeah, this is kind of a strange thread, isn't it? It's good to read that more than a few folks enjoyed the show. Honestly, you wouldn't have known that it was anything less than a solid show if you hadn't seen a bunch of others before, so it's cool that the people who were seeing the band for the first time seemed to enjoy it.

For the more experienced fan, certainly it wasn't the band's finest night ever but as I think I wrote earlier, we really don't always know everything behind why some songs might get cut off a setlist or the various machinations that go on with putting on a show. Likely there was some combination of a curfew, some part of the crowd not being as into it, the first show back after a holiday break and who knows what else? Maybe Jeff really wasn't feeling well and just did a good job of not letting on. Any number of things go into making a show what it is.

Obviously the band has put on great shows in Dallas before, so maybe just chalk this one up to not being quite up to their usual high standard and hope that they blow the roof off the joint their next time through town.

Yeah, this is kind of a strange thread, isn't it? It's good to read that more than a few folks enjoyed the show. Honestly, you wouldn't have known that it was anything less than a solid show if you hadn't seen a bunch of others before, so it's cool that the people who were seeing the band for the first time seemed to enjoy it.

For the more experienced fan, certainly it wasn't the band's finest night ever but as I think I wrote earlier, we really don't always know everything behind why some songs might get cut off a setlist or the various machinations that go on with putting on a show. Likely there was some combination of a curfew, some part of the crowd not being as into it, the first show back after a holiday break and who knows what else? Maybe Jeff really wasn't feeling well and just did a good job of not letting on. Any number of things go into making a show what it is.

Obviously the band has put on great shows in Dallas before, so maybe just chalk this one up to not being quite up to their usual high standard and hope that they blow the roof off the joint their next time through town.

No curfew. Band could have played until the cows came home according the the venue manager.

I guess they can't all be epic (and the 09 Palladium show was epic).

Just an okay show. Would rank last for me on my list of Wilco shows I've been to. The band never really seemed into it. Probably because the crowd never got into it.

... Overall, I enjoyed it but yeah it was one of the weirdest crowds I have ever seen. They couldn't decide whether to sit or stand? It was just bizarre! Of course you stand! Whole sections would stand when a song would start and then sit a few seconds into it..just weird.

I was looking at previous Dallas setlists and saw that the 07 and 09 shows at the palladium had a lot more songs on the setlist. Is there any reason why they are playing shorter shows now? I was pretty disappointed about the under 2 hour playing time.

Overall, the worst Wilco experience I've had yet. Awful crowd, dull as dirt set. Very nice venue though.

I'm inclined to agree, at least with the awful crowd and dull set part. From what I could see, only one couple and maybe one or two others in the pit could even be bothered to stand up until the rest of the crowd stood to applaud at the end of the main set. It's just human nature that the band would be more engaged when the people in their immediate line of sight seem engaged, or conversely tune out a bit when people they can see seem to be tuned out. Of course, the band can put on a "professional" show with the best of them and most people would never know. But they did seem a bit detached to me last night.

It seemed to me like the crowd was largely made up of people like spouses or significant others who were dragged along; people who claim to be fans of the band yet chattered or looked at their phones for a bulk of the show; or people who claim to be fans of the band yet don't seem to engage with the music in any way whatsoever. I understand that people respond to music in different ways and not everybody is demonstrative, but I just personally don't get how some folks can listen to a song like "A Shot in the Arm" and just remain completely motionless. (Or for that matter, sit in the front row with arms crossed for an entire show. I've seen that on more than one occasion.)

One last note: There may indeed have been a strict 11 p.m. curfew, but there's no question Jeff and Co. significantly amended their encore. I took a look at a printed setlist after the show and the planned encore was:

Via Chicago

Passenger Side

Heavy Metal Drummer

War On War

Standing O

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Red-Eyed/I Got You

Outtasite

So it seems like maybe they could have played past 11 if they had wanted to? Otherwise, why have such a long encore planned? Certainly the show they planned to play would have been a lot closer to two hours (they played about 1:43 -- on at 9:17 p.m. and off at exactly 11).

At least the room was quite good, acoustically speaking... :pirate

I had a good time. My son had a good time.

If I didn't read this freaking board, I wouldn't have any idea how much the crowd sucked and just how much was amputated from the encores.

Moral of the story: Don't read this section after a show.

I'll read Noah's reviews in the Observer.

I've got one last post and then I'll stop 'pissing all over this thread' and stop 'whining'.

There.

I'm done.

Seriously, give it a rest if you're so sure you had a good time.

no

I'm way late the the party... other taper here. It was my first Wilco show, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Sure I wish they would have played a few more songs as an encore, it would have evened out the discs a lil better too. ;)

But I've played my discs or keith's several times, almost daily since getting them finished. It was a more mellow, laid back show. Everyone band gets/needs one occasionally.

I'm way late the the party... other taper here. It was my first Wilco show, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Sure I wish they would have played a few more songs as an encore, it would have evened out the discs a lil better too. ;)

But I've played my discs or keith's several times, almost daily since getting them finished. It was a more mellow, laid back show. Everyone band gets/needs one occasionally.

Thanks for your taping.

MY SON and I have it in our rotation.

why did you capitalize my son?

Because apparently I am no longer allowed to refer to him by the nickname I gave him years before I came to this board.

Because apparently I am no longer allowed to refer to him by the nickname I gave him years before I came to this board.

You're allowed to, but I then am allowed to make fun of you.

You're allowed to, but I then am allowed to make fun of you.

You're one cold muthafucka, J-man.

I tend to like long jammy things however.

MScottDBrent1-127x92.jpg