The RTT

Guest Jules

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like a lot of them, imo, particularly the flu vaccine.

Lots of folks have strong opinions on the flu shot. I'm not one of them. I'll get it if its free or if the media scares the pants off me about the flu season. I have a pal who thinks the flu shot is a government plot of some sort. I've asked for details but I get nothing but hot air as a response. And so it goes...

It's interesting how people will often trust their own lay opinion on this subject and ignore the expert opinions of many doctors and ignore the numerous studies behind those opinions.

It's interesting how people will often trust their own lay opinion on this subject and ignore the expert opinions of many doctors and ignore the numerous studies behind those opinions.

Kinda like all the climate change deniers......

Yep. Although that seems rooted more in politics. Whereas the anti-vaccine crew seems to be more rooted in crazy.

Right. Crazy because it goes against your research. Good lord.

I'm not going to get caught up in a comparison of people's research war, but there are plenty of people who don't buy into 100% of the vaccination scare and are just fine. To each his/her own when it comes to what gets put into one's body (or that of their kids), medicinally speaking.

I saw them live, open for Wilco at the Hammerstein. my husband and I wanted to pull our hair out. excruciating.

I had the exact same response to Bon Iver when I saw them open for Wilco. I believe I referenced an "icepick in the forehead."

on another subject, I'm going to say in this thread that I think the band Low sucks. I saw them live, open for Wilco at the Hammerstein. my husband and I wanted to pull our hair out. excruciating.

I bet there's a vaccination shot you can take for this....

And here I thought Bon Iver was a dude.

Right. Crazy because it goes against your research. Good lord.

I'm not a doctor or a scientist, so I haven't done any personal research on the matter. Aside from the supposed autism link, what other research is there that demonstrates vaccines are ineffective or dangerous? The 1998 "study" that showed a link between the MMR vaccine and autism was falsified and the lead doctor on the study lost his medical license because of it. And it has been repeatedly shown that there is no link.

Furthermore, there have been outbreaks in small pockets of the nation of diseases like measles and pertussis, which had largely been eradicated in the developed world. Most of these outbreaks center around populations of people who don't get their children vaccinated. It happened up here in North Texas with measles and a church. This can further expose infants who might be too young to get certain vaccines.

To each his/her own when it comes to what gets put into one's body (or that of their kids), medicinally speaking.

Agreed.  But I haven't seen any research that convinces me that the chance/degree of adverse affects on vaccinated children, is worth the risk to community-wide immunity due to children not being vaccinated.

edit:  bleedorange got there first, and all of his sentences actually make sense. :)

Overall, I think the need for vaccinations is over-stated, particularly with flu shots. In general, there is a valid use for some vaccinations. Not too complicated, at least in my brain.

Turns out, due to my age, it appears unlikely I was vaccinated for the whooping cough.

Overall, I think the need for vaccinations is over-stated, particularly with flu shots. In general, there is a valid use for some vaccinations. Not too complicated, at least in my brain.

Part of the reason people get flu shots is so that they don't spread the flu to other people, who would be in greater danger from flu.  Anyone who has contact with small children, older people, people with underlying conditions that might lead to complications associated with the flu, should all get the flu shot.  The more people who get the shot, the more protected everyone is.  This doesn't seem too complicated to me.

(In the mid-1980s, my dad was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre, which had been considered to be a risk of getting the flu shot after the big push for swine flu-vaccination in the 1970s.  I've spent a lot of time reading about the risks associated with flu shots compared to the benefits, and I get the shot every year.)

Turns out, due to my age, it appears unlikely I was vaccinated for the whooping cough.

I was vaccinated a few years ago, when several of my cousins started having babies.  I knew I was going to be spending a lot of time with them, and whooping cough was on the rise in California at the time, so it made sense for me to get it.

I made the switch from blackberry to android and today I'm dealing with the results of that decision. I freely admit that I'm an infant when it comes to all things technology so this is a pretty steep learning curve. Why does it have to be so effing complicated?