The RTT

Guest Jules

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made the switch from blackberry to android and today I'm dealing with the results of that decision. I freely admit that I'm an infant when it comes to all things technology so this is a pretty steep learning curve. Why does it have to be so effing complicated?

ooh.

Our chief tech guy at work says that Androids account for 90% of all hacked phones, and almost a third of Androids are hacked before they're even shipped. sorry.

Well yes and no.  The real problem is malware -- apps that say they do one thing and are actually maliciously trying to steal info from your phone -- vs. someone "hacking into" your phone.  Android devices are more susceptible to this because the security model for android apps is different than for iOS apps -- basically it is impossible** for one iOS app to read the data that another app saves; this is not true for android apps.  Also, the requirements for getting listed in the AppStore vs. GooglePlay vs. Amazon are very different, with Apple being the most restrictive (and painfully slow, from an app creator's perspective) than the others.

I use an iPhone as my personal device and I don't have any additional security apps running (honestly, I'm not sure if they really exist).  My android devices are for work/testing, so I don't really care for them as much as I would otherwise.  I think if I used an android phone as my primary personal device, I'd probably install a security app.  But realistically, as long as you only download well-known apps from a known marketplace like GooglePlay or Amazon you're probably fine.

** with the caveat that nothing is ever truly impossible, but I'm not aware of any exploits in iOS for this.

The bigger security concern, which applies to all phones and tablets, is sending unencrypted data over a public wifi network.  Just be extra careful about what you do online while waiting for your nonfat decaf latte at Starbucks.

Well yes and no.  The real problem is malware -- apps that say they do one thing and are actually maliciously trying to steal info from your phone -- vs. someone "hacking into" your phone.  Android devices are more susceptible to this because the security model for android apps is different than for iOS apps -- basically it is impossible** for one iOS app to read the data that another app saves; this is not true for android apps.  Also, the requirements for getting listed in the AppStore vs. GooglePlay vs. Amazon are very different, with Apple being the most restrictive (and painfully slow, from an app creator's perspective) than the others.

I use an iPhone as my personal device and I don't have any additional security apps running (honestly, I'm not sure if they really exist).  My android devices are for work/testing, so I don't really care for them as much as I would otherwise.  I think if I used an android phone as my primary personal device, I'd probably install a security app.  But realistically, as long as you only download well-known apps from a known marketplace like GooglePlay or Amazon you're probably fine.

** with the caveat that nothing is ever truly impossible, but I'm not aware of any exploits in iOS for this.

The bigger security concern, which applies to all phones and tablets, is sending unencrypted data over a public wifi network.  Just be extra careful about what you do online while waiting for your nonfat decaf latte at Starbucks.

thanks bro, much appreciated.

another question....can phones or computers get viruses from streaming....like from youtube or one of the pron sites?

Just to reiterate what was said earlier.  The google play store is much more free and loose than the apple app store.  ALWAYS when downloading an app, check to see what permissions you're giving.  

Why would a "game" app need access to your calls??  It probably doesn't don't download it.  I like my Galaxy, but I'm a bit paranoid after having heard about some of the security issues with droid.

I had a granola bar a little while ago.  It was okay.  

it's my last day to be a bachelor, so I may splurge and have some coffee here in a bit.

what a great time it's been being married to this awesome ladyperson.

Apples and oranges. Those who deserve the flu, get the flu.

Bill Daggett: I don't deserve this… to die like this. I was building a house. Will Munny: ''''Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.'''' [aims gun]

I've never had a flu shot and never had the flu. Same with my 3 kids. Luck of the Amish, I suppose....

last time i had a flu shot was in 2004... and i got the flu a month later. never since and i havent even had a common cold since then!