Wilco - Civic Opera, Chicago

Don't have a comprehensive set list, but let's start with the end... a three song encore starting off with Nick Lowe singing lead on "Cruel to Be Kind". Then an appearance by Ms. Mavis Staples, who sang "You're Not Alone" before leading to the finale with Nick coming back on stage for a great sing-along version of "The Weight" with Mavis taking the first two verses, Nick taking the third and Jeff taking the fourth. Great finale.

Other highlights were "Candyfloss" with an operatic ending and "Outta Sight, Outta Mind" with a jingle bell theme during the solo. Some other crowd pleasers: "Box Full of Letters", "Misunderstood", "Pot Kettle Black", "War on War" and "Poor Places" Songs from the new album were plentiful and sounded terrific...

Must sleep now. I have a Wilco show to go to in just 18 hours.

Civic Opera House — Chicago, IL — 12/12/11

One Sunday Morning

Poor Places

Art of Almost

I Might

Misunderstood

I Am Try To Break Your Heart

One Wing

Rising Red Lung

Impossible Germany

Far Far Away

What Light

Born Alone

Jesus, etc.

Capitol City

War on War

Box Full of Letters

Pot Kettle Black

Dawned On Me

Shot In The Arm

---

Whole Love

Heavy Metal Drummer

Candyfloss

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Outta Mind (Outta Sight) [holiday version, with falling snow and roadies on sleigh bells]

---

Cruel To Be Kind (w/ Nick Lowe)

You Are Not Alone (w/ Mavis Staples)

The Weight (w/ Mavis Staples & Nick Lowe)

Choice Tweedy quote of the evening: "You guys are rowdy. I don't know if they smoke this much weed at the opera usually. You smell high."

What a show! My wife had tried, during the pre-sale to purchase tickets and, not knowing where BBB was located, threw those back and got some for "J." Needles to say, the term "BBB" was a euphemism for a major screw up around our house. So imagine our surprise as we received our tickets from the box office and they were for row CCC. Well, it turns out that someone was caught scalping, and the tickets were taken away from them. Instead of selling those tickets, they bumped up a bunch of people, including us. Another example of how Wilco takes care of their people.

Love this band!

Oh...the show?

Great Set list, Venue was beautiful, wonderful opener, and Mavis and Nick on the Weight? COME ON!

Two words:

Re - diculous

Wilco at the Opera House. Not a very rock n’ roll venue, but the band and the crowd were great. It helped that this was the first event in memory (of my bartender) that alcohol was allowed at the seats. I was lucky to have a great seat. There are a lot of seats very far from the stage. This may be the best tour to see the band from a distance. The lighting has really improved. I don’t know if I just missed it due to the obstruction in Nashville when I saw them or if they’ve improved it that much since then, but it was a great light show.

The setlist was typical for this tour. That is not a bad thing entirely. We did get all the most playeds: Jesus, I am Trying, I’m the Man, A Shot. We also got a ton of Whole Love, a few deep cuts and one hell of an encore.

Highlights for me were Red Rising Lung, Outta Mind and Poor Places + the 2nd encore (wow).

Great opening set from Nick Lowe. Such an experience seeing him as an opening act. Loved that the crowd on the floor stood the entire show. Chicago is in for a treat this week. Will other special guests join the band? It would be fun to see Andrew Bird reprise his Riviera Theatre 7th band member role tonight.

Good show. It was not sold out until show time BTW. Anyone could have walked up within the hour prior to the show and gotten in. I have no idea why it was advertised as as being sold out. Great venue and good set list heavy, as excpected, no the new material. As all have said, the second encore was pretty special.

LouieB

It was sold out for a long time, Lou. I know, as someone who tried to get tickets during about five different ticket sales. They released more tickets yesterday, probably production holds.

Seeing Mavis up there with Nick Lowe and the band for The Weight was wonderful!

It was sold out for a long time, Lou. I know, as someone who tried to get tickets during about five different ticket sales. They released more tickets yesterday, probably production holds.

Technically it was sold out. I know that they hold tickets for friends and family and industry folks and then put them on sale. Maybe some of the seats had bad sight lines. I don't iknow. It was just sort of shocking none the less.

Does that mean that all the rest of the shows may also have tickets? I guess it depends.

LouieB

Technically it was sold out. I know that they hold tickets for friends and family and industry folks and then put them on sale. Maybe some of the seats had bad sight lines. I don't iknow. It was just sort of shocking none the less.

Does that mean that all the rest of the shows may also have tickets? I guess it depends.

LouieB

Tickets for the Riv/ VIc could be found on etix.com yesterday. I think it is very possible there will be some at the door too.

I may be wrong but I think I saw bbop side-stage during the show last night, and on stage with the roadies during Outta Mind (Outta Sight).

Was that you, Paul?

Uhhhhh...

Much as I would have liked to get snowed on and jingle some bells, that wasn't me. But I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about.

I was kinda discouraged with the beginning of the set, same exact 10 songs to start the show in Milwaukee, obviously I knew the trend had to be broken at somepoint, I know they get into setlist trends, but I thought 10 songs was kinda a bit too predictable... I really hope they kinda mix-up the early part of the set over the next few shows here in Chicago. That being said, you'll never hear me complain about getting too much of Misunderstood. Pot Kettle Black was a definite highlight for me, and obviously the second encore was EPIC. Great Chicago crowd....you could immediately tell Wilco was on their stomping grounds from crowd reactions to songs new and old. Very stoner friendly crowd as well, I was shocked that so many people were puffin, let alone risking it in the Opera House. That never bothers me, I just prefer not to puff at shows anymore. BIg thanks to Wilco for making their show posters available in the wilcoworld store the day after, posters were long gone by the time we got to the Opera House. I was super-bummed when I saw how beautiful they were, and thankfully, I won't have to wait long to have one. Ready for Round 3 tonight!

LouieB

I bought a ticket 2 hours before the show. Perfect sight line!

Tonights poster. White, metallic gold & red velvet on maroon paper...

Wilco-CivcOperaHouse-12122011.jpg

Anyone have an extra poster for sale/trade from this show? I'm going to the Metro show and could pick up a Metro poster in exchange for an Opera House poster.

Also would be interested in seeing if anyone could pick me up a poster at the Vic and Lincoln Hall.

I see the Opera House poster is on the website, but not sure if all shows will be or not and I'd like to get a full set.

I was SO impressed by Nick Lowe. I googled him and saw he played the Old Town School of Folk music last year and am sad I just learned about him. The guy next to me last night was at the show just to see Lowe. I hope to get another chance to see him.

I was SO impressed by Nick Lowe. I googled him and saw he played the Old Town School of Folk music last year and am sad I just learned about him. The guy next to me last night was at the show just to see Lowe. I hope to get another chance to see him.

Yes, Nick has played a handful of times in Chicago the past few years.

I've seen him solo acoustic at Park West and The Green Mill 2008 (also attend by Mr. Sansone), plus full band at Old Town.

I talked to him after the Monday show and he said that he was working out a U.S. tour for the Spring of 2012 and that Chicago would most likely be on the list. He actually asked about other venues that might be good for him. We suggested Lincoln Hall. Later I realized I should have suggested SPACE.

My wife had tried, during the pre-sale to purchase tickets and, not knowing where BBB was located, threw those back...

Wow, she really Triple B'ed that one. :ninja

A kind and generous band, indeed. The people sitting next to us had the same thing happen and were ecstatic to be in the third row. Our row was definitely feeling the "whole love" Monday night. Sometimes it would be nice to poll the people who are in the first couple rows to see if they're going to be sitting down, checking their watches and applying lip gloss for most of the night or engaged in the show. Because it's just as cool to check your watch/phone and apply lip gloss in row X, and there are probably some row Xers who would love to bring their own whole love down to the front.

The snow. THE SNOW! The snow with the non-bbop jingle-bellers and the second encore with Mavis and Nick Lowe (oh, and Candyfloss...and Pot Kettle) made the show for me. I love to hear Donny Gerrard on The Weight, but Nick Lowe filled in nicely. He is one cool cat.

Later I realized I should have suggested SPACE.

Why? Beause Nick and his fans are all old? LH would be a great place to see him. SPACE has great sound and nice seats, but otherwise is inferior to LH.

I would like to see him with his own band though.

LouieB