Mermaid Ave III - Anyone seen this?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

A Woody Guthrie museum is being built in Oklahoma: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/arts/music/woody-guthrie-gets-a-belated-honor-in-oklahoma.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&smid=fb-nytimes. The George Kaiser Family Foundation is paying $3 million for the Guthrie archives, which will be used to create the exhibition and study center.

Billy's facebook post seemed a little smarmy. I think there is a disconnect between what each camp perceives as the value of releasing additional material. I seem to remember Jeff's "Billy is full of shit" comment in some interview. I suppose that's more than a little smarmy.

Billy's facebook post seemed a little smarmy. I think there is a disconnect between what each camp perceives as the value of releasing additional material. I seem to remember Jeff's "Billy is full of shit" comment in some interview. I suppose that's more than a little smarmy.

Maybe because the additional material features duets between Billy and Natalie Merchant...

• 1 month later...

According to http://musictap.net :

Nonesuch Records will release a 3CD/1DVD Box called Mermaid Avenue: The Complete Sessions with bonus from the Grammy-nominated 1998 classic by Billy Bragg & Wilco. This expanded, Deluxe Edition is scheduled for March 20 in a Limited Edition roll-out.

Thanks for the link. Nice to see confirmation of the DVD. Can't wait to see the track list for disc 3.

From Billy's facebook...

Thanks to the people at CKUA in Edmonton, Alberta for posting this trailer of the documentary of the making of Mermaid Avenue. It's quite timely as, in a few months, Mermaid Avenue Vol I and II will be reissued in a special package with also features a third volume of songs from the original sessions and this film on DVD. Mermaid Avenue: The Complete Sessions is being released to commemorate Woody Guthrie's centenary and I'll be doing a number of shows throughout the year that focus on Woody's legacy and the songs that I wrote for this project.

i heard it was going to retail for 39.98. so, with whatever pre-order deals amazon offers, that won't be bad for a 3 CD/1 DVD set.

-justin

Here's the amazon listing for the box set. i've been checking daily, and i hadn't seen it until today, so they must've just put it up. It'll be interesting to see if the price changes from now til release day.

http://www.amazon.com/Mermaid-Avenue-Billy-Bragg-Wilco/dp/B0072X2NHQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I399GFPH9FWI7S&colid=3RNMK88BGBEU1

According to http://musictap.net :

Nonesuch Records will release a 3CD/1DVD Box called Mermaid Avenue: The Complete Sessions with bonus from the Grammy-nominated 1998 classic by Billy Bragg & Wilco. This expanded, Deluxe Edition is scheduled for March 20 in a Limited Edition roll-out.

I have been predicting this for years. I am sort of amazed that it is happening so soon, but Billy needs the money and attention more than Wilco. I am fine with whomever he pulls out of the vaults including Natalie Merchant. A full accouting of the sessions is needed. Let's hope it really IS EVERYTHING and that they don't pull this BS on us again 10 more years down the road.

LouieB

While I'm really hoping for some sort of vinyl box set, I'm really hoping they don't put it out for Record Store Day, because then it will be really expensive and really difficult to get.

I'm hoping for vinyl too. I would quibble a bit with the above though - although the Wilco-related RSD stuff has not been in any way cheap, it has been fairly readily available. At least compared to other releases.