Mermaid Ave III - Anyone seen this?

I have no idea who owns the rights to this stuff and who profits (or even how much say Billy has in any of it) but I think they pressed 5000 copies of Kicking Television for RSD at $60 or $70 a crack. Depending on your cut, that could be some serious money. Anyway, I have no real opinion on how they do it, just make sure you do it on vinyl.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well considering they took a few years to actually sell off KT, I am not sure they made any money on it. Heck there may still be copies floating around out there.

And who is ordering them to press this on vinyl anyway? I thought we "heard" they were, but now it doesn't appear so. The only thing in the package that seems to be coming is the third disk of outtakes, etc. I have all the rest.

LouieB

And who is ordering them to press this on vinyl anyway? I thought we "heard" they were, but now it doesn't appear so. The only thing in the package that seems to be coming is the third disk of outtakes, etc. I have all the rest.

LouieB

The demos may be pretty close to this set: http://wilcoarchive.com/Wilco%20Bragg%20-%20Mermaid%20Ave%20Demos/. Which anyone who wants it already has. Hopefully I'll find something about this box that makes me want to buy it, but I am really struggling to see the appeal of it. It's not like what we already have needs an audio upgrade.

--Mike

I still have not seen a track list, but I did find this by way of an Ebay listing:

Mermaid Avenue, Vol. II (remastered)

Mermaid Avenue, Vol. III; a third disc of 17 previously unreleased recordings made druing the Mermaid Avenue sessions

Man in the Sand, the 1999 full-length documentary of the Mermaid Avenue sessions

48 page full-color booklet with liner notes by Geoffrey Himes and Greil Marcus, full lyrics, archival photographs, and facsimilesof lyric sheets and sketches by Woody Guthrie

jay farrar says on a New Multitudes preview video that he was approached by Bragg before Wilco. Farrar's project comes out in a few weeks. from what i hear, farrar only has two songs on it. yim yames has no business at all being on it.

http://www.billybragg.co.uk/blog/?p=228

"To commemorate the 100th anniversary of Woody’s birth, Nonesuch Records will be releasing ‘Mermaid Avenue: The Complete Sessions’, a four disc set, comprising of remastered versions of Mermaid Avenue Volumes I and II as well as a new collection of 17 songs from the original sessions, ‘Mermaid Avenue Volume III’. The fourth disc will contain ‘Man in the Sand’, Kim Hopkins’ 1999 film, which documents the collaboration between Woody, Wilco and me."

The good news: The cover artwork for the boxset has been released.

The bad news: According to at least two cd websites i saw, the boxset has been pushed back to April 21st.

And still no track list. I still think the unreleased stuff has to be made up of these tracks:

Billy Bragg & Wilco: Mermaid Avenue Demos

1. She Came Along To Me

2. All You Fascists

3. Agin’st The Law

4. Agin’st The Law

5. When The Roses Bloom Again

6. California Stars

7. Hesitating Beauty

8. Greenback Dollar

9. My Flying Saucer

10. Hoodoo Voodoo

11. Ain’t Gonna Grieve My Lord No More

12. Give Me A Nail

13. Birds & Ships

14. She Came Along To Me

15. I Guess I Planted

16. Eisler On The Go

17. The Unwelcome Guest

Wilco Bragg - Mermaid Ave Demos

01 She Came Along To Me

02 All You Fascists

03 Agin'st The Law

04 Agin'st The Law

05 When The Roses Bloom Again

06 California Stars

07 Hesitating Beauty

08 Greenback Dollar

09 My Flying Saucer

10 Hoodoo Voodoo

11 Ain't Gonna Grieve My Lord No More

12 Give Me a Nail

I don't recall seeing Wilco do any press about this box set.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/exclusive-heres-the-track-listing-and-cover-art-fo,70084/

Track listing for Disc 3:

Bugeye Jim

When The Roses Bloom Again

Gotta Work

My Thirty Thousand

Ought To Be Satisfied Now

Listening To The Wind That Blows

Go Down To The Water

Chain Of Broken Hearts

Jailcell Blues

Don’t You Marry

Give Me A Nail

The Jolly Banker

Union Prayer

Be Kind To The Boy On The Road

Ain’ta Gonna Grieve

Tea Bag Blues

I’m Out To Get

Jolly Banker and When the Roses Bloom Again have been previously released. And it was established in other threads long ago that When the Roses Bloom Again wasn't actually written by Woody. But I won't complain about getting it on CD.