Wilco — 12/18/11, Chicago, IL (Lincoln Hall)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I get a 'great', Louie? :lol

That was embarrassing!!

I would have to say the Spiders done last night was radically different than the usual krautrock version usually done. This one was really moving.

Since I was on a smart phone earlier I did not try to link up the Inspiration info then. Here it is now. I am sure they would appreciate any additional donations from Wilco fans who could not make it and that can be done here. If you do it online you can even mention Wilco. Again I highly recommend the restaurant they run on the west side near Garfield Park Conservatory. Make a day of it sometime and visit a part of Chicago you might not ordinarly go to and get a great meal. The restaurant has been completely rehabed and is at 3504 W. Lake St. More info on the restaurants is at this site. Wilco put it all out there for these folks at the end of a long tour. Kudos to them for this.

LouieB

So, this was basically a Wilco living room show. And it was awesome. One by One killed me. And it was only the SECOND song. Just blow after blow after blow of beautiful, emotional songs that get me every time. I feel so fortunate to have been able to be there.

Also, Fred Armisen was great, but was only on for 15 minutes :( I was kinda disappointed, was looking forward to much more. His set was music-themed, and included impressions of Elvis Costello, Prince, and Jeff's butt.

P.S. One of my favorite parts of last night's Lincoln Hall show (beside the ridiculously intimate environs) was all of Jeff's various shoutouts and banter with friends toward the front. Can I get a 'great', Louie? :lol And 'twas an admirable defense of the meteorological profession, Mr. virtualreason!

You're just pleased it wasn't you this time!

One other thing about the extremely close quarters was forgetting that the whole crew could easily hear pre-show conversations. :wine

The setlist choices were perfect for the venue. The quieter songs came through with great clarity, and then seeing songs like "Art of Almost" and "Laminated Cat" in that setting was just ... holy shit. Also, the small crowd was mostly very well-behaved. There were shouts and such between songs, but being able to hear the final note (or scrape of a finger on a guitar string) of many full-band songs before the ovation began is something I don't remember experiencing before at a Wilco show. I'm not saying that's a "better" way to respond to a show, but it was pretty awesome last night.

I have to say that by only attending one other show this week, I was a little disappointed at the pacing of the set list. There were a ton of great songs played last night. Most of which I've never heard live. I just felt like there was a real anticipation and energy in the crowd before the show, and that energy kind of died by the slow tempo of the entire set. A good show, but I was expecting a bring down the house finale for a week of hometown shows.

Yee gods. What a run. Can't wait for the torrents to start popping up for this last show in particular, but every show this week had something special.

Some people were asking me after the show last night about how many songs they played over the five nights this time and I just went through and counted them up. I came up with a total of 100 different songs played over the course of this run.

That includes Outtasite (Outta Mind) and Outta Mind (Outta Sight) as separate songs, but only counts Spiders once, even though the acoustic version is a vastly different song than the regular one. And it also includes Cruel To Be Kind, You Are Not Alone and The Weight from the first night (doesn't that seem like a long time ago?)

Not sure exactly how that compares to the Residency — don't have time to go back and count those up right now — but still a pretty awesome run overall. Thanks, Wilco! :thumbup

I have to say that by only attending one other show this week, I was a little disappointed at the pacing of the set list. There were a ton of great songs played last night. Most of which I've never heard live. I just felt like there was a real anticipation and energy in the crowd before the show, and that energy kind of died by the slow tempo of the entire set. A good show, but I was expecting a bring down the house finale for a week of hometown shows.

Everyone experiences things differently, but this was a show in a fairly small venue in front of a very respectful and interested crowd. The band could see and hear everyone in the room (sometimes to our embarrassment) and after a long tour and energetic week (the Riv and Opera House shows I saw were intense), they decided to dial it back for the first half. That was pretty cool I thought. The second half there were some real barn burners, although nothing as intense as any of the other nights I suspect. Jeff appeared to be so fucking happy to be playing a gig like this and just down the street from Lounge Ax, that it was incredibly moving I thought. There were plenty of tickets for the Opera House at show time. Sorry you missed that because it was quite the affair.

LouieB

The handful of people I know went to all 5 shows truly experienced a spectacle over the last week. I really wish I could have attended another show in the run, but I feel lucky to have experienced every aspect of yesterday: the camaraderie in line, the tiny--sparsely decorated--stage, the once-in-a-lifetime set, and the cookies. My god the cookies.

I really enjoyed being able to watch Nels working his pedals, trying to bleed every last sound out of a guitar. Even thought it was a mainly low-key set, not one constructed for noise and dissonance, it was a treat to see exactly how he makes those little flourishes in the quieter songs.

The set was spectacular. I missed out on hearing the full band version of Laminated Cat during the "evening with" shows, but I finally saw it here. That's one of my favorite Wilco(ish) songs and I thought I would never get to see that played outside of a solo show. In that same vein, the circa 2003 arrangement for Spiders was very special.

And 'twas an admirable defense of the meteorological profession, Mr. virtualreason!

I kind of felt like a dick after that, so I hope I didn't come off as one. That was also my opportunity to goose him about not having snow in the forecast!

Oh, Nels totally stole the banter show with (paraphrasing) "After the song, there are...subtle notes of optimism."

I can definitely understand the setlist in context to the other shows. The lyric was the other show that I saw, and I thought it was terrific. Maybe it was because I was far back in the balcony and having to sit during the show? I was just pumped to be able to be that close and rock out in an atmosphere that wasn't so "formal".

What great time! : venue > crowd > setlist !

Via Chicago is the Best website. Thanks to all VC contributors / collaborators : you make every fan feel tuned in.

It's funny that when Jeff "scolded" a person named Lou last night; I kinda knew right then it was LouieB.

( im guessin it was his turn? Bless 'em )

Wilco at Lincoln effing Hall. Holy shit. What an amazing night. Maybe I can post something of substance after I've slept.

(Since I got home I haven't stopped sneezing. I'm allergic to not being in Chicago and not going to shows!)

"Holy shit"

i love the fact that someone posted something like this

But the night also belonged to Nels, maybe because I was standing on his side. On the two other nights the entire band was louder and he was submerged in the overall mix. Last night he seemed to get more play and jeff seemed to be featuring him. He also seemed to be enjoying the attention and even talked at one point near the end.

J

LouieB

I think the big deal with Nels last night was the fact that he was using a majorly pared down set up as far as his effects were concerned. H had none of the loopers and no chaos pad, that he usually uses with his hands set up. All the sounds he produced were a little more live and organic. He didn't miss a beat doing it a different way and he sounded great. That man is WICKED!

One other cool thing was the sound of the room. I noticed during Misunderstood, that during the "nothing" break down, that the sound would just soak into the curtains, or walls, or whatever. There was no after "ring" of sound between the "nothings," giving it a totally different live dynamic that was really cool.

I loved hanging out all day/week with you guys.

What an experience.

PS

Way to go Road crew and Techs!