Agreed. And it might not be such a crazy idea, since there's a strong Jeff Tweedy/Fred Armison connection, and of course Fred/Carrie/Portlandia. Speaking of which, wouldn't it be fun to see Jeff do a guest stint on Portlandia?

Agreed. And it might not be such a crazy idea, since there's a strong Jeff Tweedy/Fred Armison connection, and of course Fred/Carrie/Portlandia. Speaking of which, wouldn't it be fun to see Jeff do a guest stint on Portlandia?

Awesomeness

Jeff could definitely pull it off well. Eddie Vedder is in the new season, and it is a very funny skit.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Janet Weiss and Glenn Kotche on dueling drum kits.

I know I've posted this somewhere before, but it's been a while and it's sort of related to the topic at hand. This thing just cracks me up, because I have never seen Jeff looking this unkempt--those pit stains! that hair! (And he's usually so immaculately groomed, of course.) Still, it's a fun watch.

http://www.myspace.com/video/artist-on-artist/artist-on-artist-fred-armisen-jeff-tweedy/3425517

I know I've posted this somewhere before, but it's been a while and it's sort of related to the topic at hand. This thing just cracks me up, because I have never seen Jeff looking this unkempt--those pit stains! that hair! (And he's usually so immaculately groomed, of course.) Still, it's a fun watch.

http://www.myspace.com/video/artist-on-artist/artist-on-artist-fred-armisen-jeff-tweedy/3425517

I have not seen that before. Thanks.

I saw the Portlandia road show in Seattle recently. That was a treat.

Thanks for sharing. Anybody get a bit of a Television vibe off this particular song? I can definitely hear parts reminiscent of "See No Evil" and "Venus De Milo".

I'd love to see a more energetic band support Wilco. Looking forward to seeing White Denim in February.

Thanks for sharing. Anybody get a bit of a Television vibe off this particular song? I can definitely hear parts reminiscent of "See No Evil" and "Venus De Milo".

I'd love to see a more energetic band support Wilco. Looking forward to seeing White Denim in February.

They played See No Evil when I saw them last year in Birmingham.

I always wondered how Fred and Jeff met - thanks for the link.

There's a piece on Fred and (mostly) Carrie in a recent New Yorker, and it says Fred used to be in a band in Chicago called Trenchmouth. Maybe that's where the Jeff/Fred connection started.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Trenchmouth

It's a great article if you're a fan of Portlandia. Made me want to check out Wild Flag, too.

There's a piece on Fred and (mostly) Carrie in a recent New Yorker, and it says Fred used to be in a band in Chicago called Trenchmouth. Maybe that's where the Jeff/Fred connection started.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Trenchmouth

It's a great article if you're a fan of Portlandia. Made me want to check out Wild Flag, too.

In the footage that Wilco Me posted, Fred said he use to work for Sue Miller and is a friend of the family. I'm sure Miller booked Trenchmouth.

Fred's bits in IATTBYH always cracked me up - I don't think I heard of him before seeing that doc.

Yeah, what nalafej wrote.

Edited by calvino

I have to admit, I feel a little uneasy about how Wild Flag is becoming an entity that is treated as inseperable from Portlandia. On a local blog that I read, there was a comment thread on favorite albums of the year. I mentioned Wild Flag, and got a string of Portlandia jokes in response, as if Wild Flag is Flight of the Conchords, or something.

That is a good New Yorker article. I'm not too concerned after seeing a few of Wild Flag's videos, and listening to the whole album. I love Portlandia, but I'll listen to the album more than I'll ever watch repeats of Portlandia, and Janet Weiss isn't in Portlandia (maybe she has been, but I don't place it).

Janet Weiss is easily one of the best drummers in rock today. Carrie seems to know how to write a great song, she shreds guitar, and she has a Townsend like magnetism on stage. That said, I miss having Corin Tuckers vocals to mix with all of those strengths.

Wild Flag is definitely cool, though.

Not trying to make this into a Armisen thread, but below was an interview in today's Chicago Tribune (mostly about his time in Chicago).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-ent-0112-fred-armisen-chicago-20120111,0,5048552.story

Armisen: I lived on Wolcott, on Division. I remember Tortoise had this loft where they would record and I loved that I became part of that scene, not the Cubs scene. I don't carry those fights with me now, but then, I was like, "I never go into that neighborhood!" (Musician/producer) Steve Albini became a huge influence on me, which I don't know if he knows. He had this philosophy on how to live and be and gave me advice that I still keep in mind. … I started to work at Lounge Ax, too. (Owner) Sue Miller was my boss, which is how I got to know Jeff (Tweedy, Miller's husband, the leader of Wilco). I stamped hands, answered the phones.

Steve Albini: Yeah, I met Fred at Lounge Ax. I wasn't a fan of Trenchmouth, so that's not why we would have become friends. He would do these outlandish karaoke nights and would host them in character and do impressions of the people who sang. He once showed up as Hitler, which didn't go over so well with Sue.

Sue Miller: Actually, he was dressed like Jesus and Hitler. One time he was a hipster Wicker Park girl. Fred was also my assistant when Mark (Greenberg, former Lounge Ax booker and member of the Coctails) was on tour, and when Fred was around I never got anything done. I think he started honing his characters on our phone. He would lie to everybody. He would tell people that Mark was working as a mime at Great America, or when bands called he would tell them send us a tape and draw a monkey on the envelope, so I would get all these envelopes with monkeys. Fred was such a horrible person! But I also love him so much.