New Neil Young album - with Crazy Horse!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I love Neil. But this new album is just not doing it for me.

I like it. It has everything I want from Neil and the Horse - it's loud, loose, and rough. Jesus's Chariot is my favorite. Sure, it's not the very best thing that Neil and the Horse have ever done, but it still makes me want to turn the volume knob up to 11.

it's better than Fork In The Road...

lol

Folks, this is what is referred to as 'damning with faint praise'.

For kicks I tried getting tickets for his Chicago show - tried for general admission/floor tickets and got lucky with 2. With fees it came out to $87 each - that's not too bad.

They only time I saw Neil and Crazy Horse was at a HORDE Fest in 1997 at the Tinley Park World Music Theater - a horrible, horrible storm blew through as they were playing - the PA system lost power and all you could hear was the stage amps for a time. We were under the pavilion and sheets of rain blew right through as water was pouring in on the floor. We were standing in about a foot of water. It was my most surreal concert experience, ever. Of course, it being in my younger days, I was under the influence of various things, which made it even more surreal.

Looking forward to the show.

This reminds me of the Bob Dylan Christmas album.

Have not heard this album, but unless Neil is donating the proceeds to a charity of some sort, this is NOT the same thing.

LouieB

Have not heard this album, but unless Neil is donating the proceeds to a charity of some sort, this is NOT the same thing.

LouieB

I didn't say that, nor did I mean to imply it. But the two albums have something in common in that they both exclusive feature familiar (mostly American) standards that you would never expect to be covered by rock-and-roll icons. And the results are suitably weird.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

red rocks setlist 8/5/2012

classic neil! puts out a new album of covers, goes on tour, plays none of the new album, but plays a shit load of new original songs!!

1. Love And Only Love 2. Powderfinger 3. Born In Ontario 4. Walk Like A Giant 5. The Needle And The Damage Done 6. Twisted Road 7. For The Love Of Man 8. Ramada Inn 9. Cinnamon Girl 10. F*!#in' Up 11. Psychedelic Pill 12. Mr. Soul 13. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) --- 14.

Over And Over

i guess they had one tune off the Americana album (Jesus Chariot) but dropped it from the setlist. i'm surprised they're not playing Cortez. i guess the new originals will be on the next CH record due next year. interestingly, one of the new tunes is called Twisted Road which was the name of his solo electric tour and the working title for what would become Le Noise. from concert reviews, a few of the new songs are 15min or longer :)

Oh man!!!

2012-08-03, The Pavilion, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

w/ Crazy Horse

1. Love And Only Love

2. Powderfinger

3. "Ontario"*

4. Walk Like A Giant*

5. The Needle And The Damage Done

6. Twisted Road*

7. For The Love Of Man*

8. "Every Morning Comes The Sun"*

9. Cinnamon Girl

10. F*!#in' Up

11. "Party Girl"*

12. Mr. Soul

13. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)

---

14. Jesus' Chariot*

15. Roll Another Number

* - song debut

Oh man!!!

2012-08-03, The Pavilion, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

w/ Crazy Horse

1. Love And Only Love

2. Powderfinger

3. "Ontario"*

4. Walk Like A Giant*

5. The Needle And The Damage Done

6. Twisted Road*

7. For The Love Of Man*

8. "Every Morning Comes The Sun"*

9. Cinnamon Girl

10. F*!#in' Up

11. "Party Girl"*

12. Mr. Soul

13. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)

---

14. Jesus' Chariot*

15. Roll Another Number

* - song debut

party girl is also known as psychedelic pill or it's another song. fwiw i'm so psyched that neil has played lots of ragged glory stuff in recent year. Love and only love is awesome...and followed by Powderfinger!!

We were in the pit, front row center for the Albuquerque show. The venue is not my favorite, but the sound was stellar and it's hard to argue with that setlist. As they were wrapping up the fourth song I looked at my watch and saw that they had been playing for 45 minutes.

Everyone in the band seemed to be having fun.

yeah, the vids i've seen show the band really enjoying themselves. they make it seem so effortless. poncho just looks like he loves every chord he plays:-) the new tunes aren't to bad either.

• 3 weeks later...

August 24, 2012

Psychedelic Pill will be released in October. It was recorded right after Americana at Audio Casa Blanca. A double-CD and triple-vinyl will be released because of the lengths of many of the songs, some of which were previewed in Crazy Horse's live performances earlier this month. In the spirit of Americana's release, full length videos for each of the songs will be available and previewed. A recommended high resolution 24/192 full fidelity version of the album Psychedelic Pill will be released on Blu-ray and will include all the videos. The low resolution iTunes downloads will also be accompanied by videos. Thanks for listening.

New album seems like it's gonna be a jam/feedback fest. Looking forward to it. I really liked Americana. Hope they play the south at some point. If neil keeps it up like he's been doing, we've got at least 10 more albums coming!