New Neil Young album - with Crazy Horse!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a Yahoo Group. There use to be several NY message boards - I think most of them are inactive now. Thrasher's Wheat is still active - of course.

By way of Relix:

It appears that Neil Young & Crazy Horse’s Psychedelic Pill will fulfill the promise of its title. The double disc opens with twenty-seven minute “Driftin’ Back,” followed by the shortest song on the recording, the three minute title track. Psychedelic Pill , produced by Young, John Hanlon and Mark Humphreys, will be available on October 30. As with his summer release Americana, full-length videos for each of the songs will be made available as well (these should be interesting as beyond “Driftin’ Back,” two other track on Psychedelic Pill exceed sixteen minutes). Neil Young & Crazy Horse will support the recording with a tour that opens on October 3rd in Ontario. The tracklist appears below.

Psychedelic Pill

Disc One:

1 Driftin’ Back (27:36)

2 Psychedelic Pill (3:26)

3 Ramada Inn (16:49)

4 Born In Ontario (3:49)

Disc Two:

1 Twisted Road (3:28)

2 She’s Always Dancing (8:33)

3 For The Love Of Man (4:13)

4 Walk Like A Giant (16:27)

neilyoung.org

great clearing house of recent headlines as well as links to all relevant websites.

I think there is a Yahoo Group. There use to be several NY message boards - I think most of them are inactive now. Thrasher's Wheat is still active - of course.

By way of Relix:

i bet his memoir gets bumped by this. i really want to read that book, but i also and curious about this new album!

Shakey is prolly the best rock n rock autobiography I've read.

yeah. i've read it numerous times. i can't wait to read this memoir. i swear, if i could've majored in grateful dead and minor in neil young in college/grad.school i would be the most published professor ever!

Agree it is great but it is a biography...Neil didn't write it. In fact I think it going to be "authorized" but Neil got into it a bit with the the author before it came out.

Yes, duly noted. I had the impression that Neil was very active in assisting in how it came together. Whatever the case, now Neil has penned a book. Its like an extra bonus x 100. Still deliberating on whether I should go see them at United Center in a few weeks. That place blows.

Yes, duly noted. I had the impression that Neil was very active in assisting in how it came together. Whatever the case, now Neil has penned a book. Its like an extra bonus x 100. Still deliberating on whether I should go see them at United Center in a few weeks. That place blows.

neil did do some interviews, but there are pretty big sections where jimmy discusses how difficult it was to get these interviews. neil blowing him off at the last minute. neil also almost pulled the plug on the entire thing. i am looking forward to this memoir but would also like to get an update on shakey. i'm especially interested in projects, studio sessions, archives etc. i could give a shit about neil's drug use, sobriety and how he's an asshole. but, i guess that's the stuff that sells books.

the book is good. i love walk like a giant!

Walk Like a Giant does sounds very good. Looking forwarded to the book too. Highest on my list at the momet though is those four 'rebuilt' albums that were due to be released (Chrome Dreams etc). Can't wait for those.

Walk Like a Giant does sounds very good. Looking forwarded to the book too. Highest on my list at the momet though is those four 'rebuilt' albums that were due to be released (Chrome Dreams etc). Can't wait for those.

yeah, what were those...Toast, Chrome Dreams, Homegrown, Oceanside/Countryside...? i forgot about those. Neil mentions in the new book that he is working on a Crazy Horse comp with some Danny Witten stuff. he's got lots of projects.

yeah, what were those...Toast, Chrome Dreams, Homegrown, Oceanside/Countryside...? i forgot about those. Neil mentions in the new book that he is working on a Crazy Horse comp with some Danny Witten stuff. he's got lots of projects.

A Crazy Horse comp sounds interesting. The forth archive release was a live album from the '76 Japanese Tour.

Just watched the official video for Giant. Similar in style to the Americana videos albeit with a bit of psychadelic images thown in. The whislting in the song is has been stuck in my head for hours.

I was re-reading that NY Times article and was struck by this part:

Young, 66, spotted this land out the window of a plane banking out of San Francisco four decades ago and now owns nearly 1,000 acres of it. His song “Old Man” is a tribute to the caretaker who first showed him the place.

“I ran out of money, so I had to sell some of it,” he said. “That’s O.K., because it was too big. Everything happens for a reason.” He kept his eyes on the narrow road through the giant redwoods.

I wonder if he means years ago or recently?

That NY Times article was about as boring an article as you can get (and clearly confusing) about one of the major musicians of the last 50 years. When the writer decided to write about how cool he is that he got to hang out with Neil Young, you know you are in trouble.

LouieB

i agree. to add insult to injury, the new memoir is really not that great. it really doesn't hang together and reveals absolutely nothing. main themes of the book include: i miss my friends, i like hawaii, mp3 sucks, i like trains, buy pono, mp3 suck, buy pono, i have lots of cars, mp3 suck....and on and on. shakey is a million times better.

i agree. to add insult to injury, the new memoir is really not that great. it really doesn't hang together and reveals absolutely nothing. main themes of the book include: i miss my friends, i like hawaii, mp3 sucks, i like trains, buy pono, mp3 suck, buy pono, i have lots of cars, mp3 suck....and on and on. shakey is a million times better.

I read like the first 50 pages and I was surprised how many times he talks about Pono.....but it is still pretty cool so far. Some good tidbits about his life so far.