Next Super Bowl Halftime act????

Madonna's halftime was entertaining. Not my thing, but it wasn't trainwreck awful like last year.

I don't even remember who did the halftime last year.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care who it is, just please get someone who will actually sing the damn songs for a change. This lip-synching crap is so obnoxious and insulting.

On the positive side, at least I didn't feel like I missed out on anything special being stuck in the kitchen during halftime -- putting the finishing touches on my SB chili. :)

I thought it was a great halftime show. Easily among the top three of all-time, and maybe the best. I couldn't really tell if she was lip-synching or not, but I couldn't care less either way. It was visually stunning and fun. That's all you need for a halftime show.

Black Eyed Peas, Slash & Fergie, Usher & will.i.am

http://en.wikipedia...._halftime_shows

I felt like Tom Scharpling said it best, "that was like a Nazi death camp with worse music." I thought Madonna was fine last night. It was a huge spectacle and kinda hard to follow, but the performance was pretty interesting.

--Mike

Who doesn't like Madonna?

:wave

(and based on my twitter/fb feed over the past 18 hrs, it ain't just me.)

Again, what annoys me most is that she was just dancing to her CD. Yes, it was a well-produced and elaborate spectacle with many visually interesting elements -- but that's about all I can say "nice" about it. Madonna's "performance" amounted to little more than being a prop for a stage show featuring her music.

:wave

(and based on my twitter/fb feed over the past 18 hrs, it ain't just me.)

Again, what annoys me most is that she was just dancing to her CD. Yes, it was a well-produced and elaborate spectacle with many visually interesting elements -- but that's about all I can say "nice" about it. Madonna's "performance" amounted to little more than being a prop for a stage show featuring her music.

Weird. What's not to like? She has many, many hit songs that are unassailable.

It's a halftime show at the Super Bowl, meaning it's meant to appeal to the largest television audience in the world. Sure, I like Tom Petty and The Who better than Madonna, but those were boring halftime shows. It's not a concert. It's supposed to be a well-produced and elaborate spectacle. And it definitely delivered on that front.

Weird. What's not to like? She has many, many hit songs that are unassailable.

:lol I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here... but simply put, nothing is unassailable.

It's a halftime show at the Super Bowl, meaning it's meant to appeal to the largest television audience in the world. Sure, I like Tom Petty and The Who better than Madonna, but those were boring halftime shows. It's not a concert. It's supposed to be a well-produced and elaborate spectacle. And it definitely delivered on that front.

I agree that's certainly what they were going for & what they got... doesn't mean we all enjoyed it. But if it's meant to be a specacular stage act then drop the phony singing and just have them all dance.

Another musical disgrace (in my opinion) that happened last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GeiOdHsW_8

commercial starts, "oh, how cool they're playing The Cult" -- then the rap song takes over. why, oh why must they ruin the classics like this?

the only good thing about it is that a few kids might be turned on to The Cult who'd have never otherise heard of them... but that's it.

There is simply no way to either defend one's love for Madonna or to express their dislike.

Meanwhile Madonna has always been a minimally talented singer. with some of the best branding in music history. There has never been much about her to like for lots of folks, yet she is wildly popular with tons of people.. There are parts of her "act" that many people find ridiculous to bordering on offensive. I think that it is more a question of whether you "buy" her act rather than enjoy her music. Some is okay, most is just so-so, and alot of it is crap wrapped up in alot of vocal masking and slick arrangement. If you can get past the wall of artifice perhaps there is some substance, but those who dislike her ifnd her vacuous among other things. Actually she is perfect for the half time show at the Super Bowl; plenty of form over substance. (And she knows whom to include as her back-up singers at least. Enlisting Cee-Lo is always a brilliant move. MIA is someone who also appears to have substance but is basically just a rich pop-star.)

LouieB

There is simply no way to either defend one's love for Madonna or to express their dislike.

Meanwhile Madonna has always been a minimally talented singer. with some of the best branding in music history. There has never been much about her to like for lots of folks, yet she is wildly popular with tons of people.. There are parts of her "act" that many people find ridiculous to bordering on offensive. I think that it is more a question of whether you "buy" her act rather than enjoy her music. Some is okay, most is just so-so, and alot of it is crap wrapped up in alot of vocal masking and slick arrangement. If you can get past the wall of artifice perhaps there is some substance, but those who dislike her ifnd her vacuous among other things. Actually she is perfect for the half time show at the Super Bowl; plenty of form over substance. (And she knows whom to include as her back-up singers at least. Enlisting Cee-Lo is always a brilliant move. MIA is someone who also appears to have substance but is basically just a rich pop-star.)

LouieB

Just proving my point in the previous post. It's pop music for Chrissakes!

Bll Callahan or Lambchop, please.

As much as you love this idea, it just will not work out. The audience of the Super Bowl came to watch a football game. And while they may love Bill Callahan and Lambchop, their music will ruin mood and tempo of the spectacle and idea of the event. This is why you are not an NFL event coordinator.

Who doesn't like Madonna? She played three classic songs. Nothing dreadful about it. The addition of Cirque du Soleil was nice, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG2KMkQLZmI

Music and Give Me All Your Love was absolutely dreadful. As for Vogue and Like A Prayer, even though I don't like them, they weren't dreadful renditions and I could understand why people would like those songs.

I have never liked Madonna but actually thought it was a fairly entertaining halftime show, although I had minimal expectations. Don't really care about lip syncing in this case as I don't really take Madonna that seriously to begin with. Way better than the black eyed peas last year.

Did Fleetwood Mac already do a half time show? They seem like an obvious choice.

seriously? outside of the 70's/80's leftovers, name a bigger rock act in existence.

Muse would be a great act for currant standards. As for 70's/80's leftover bands... Why the hell hasn't AC/DC ever played "The Bowl". Every team in the league plays them at least once over the PA on game day. :dontgetit

Just proving my point in the previous post. It's pop music for Chrissakes!

that madonna song she debuted at the haltime show is catchy as all get out......

jeff's right - "evil geniuses"