Jay Farrar (and Friends): New Multitudes

I'm going to have to say STRONGLY disagree.

First listen through and Jay's stuff is definitely the least interesting material on the album. Will Johnson's cuts seem to be the most favorable to me.

Also, did anyone else find it strange that one of the songs is "Revolutionary Mind" when that was already released by Autumn Defense. I know Autumn Defense's first album isn't that well known but considering that's one of the songs that came out of those sessions, it's surprising someone didn't pick up on it. It seems bizarre that with all the supposed lyrics laying around we're already seeing one repeat.

i've listened through a few times. it's not blowing me away, but it's interesting. jay definitely saves his best tunes for son volt/solo stuff. i don't think you can compare this and mermaid. different beasts. i do like some of the production on this. also, listening to this, i think jay should start singing songs in a lower key. his voice kind of peters out when he sings tenor.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay's stuff is definitely the least interesting material on the album.

I STRONGLY disagree about Jay's contributions.

As I stated that I am not a fan of Billy Bragg, the mere fact alone that this album contains 100% less Billy Bragg makes it far and away superior to the Mermaid outings.

Also, did anyone else find it strange that one of the songs is "Revolutionary Mind" when that was already released by Autumn Defense. I know Autumn Defense's first album isn't that well known but considering that's one of the songs that came out of those sessions, it's surprising someone didn't pick up on it. It seems bizarre that with all the supposed lyrics laying around we're already seeing one repeat.

1) Who?

2) This band already released their interpretation of "Revolutionary Mind"?

3) Is there room for more than one interpretation?

i've listened through a few times. it's not blowing me away, but it's interesting. jay definitely saves his best tunes for son volt/solo stuff. i don't think you can compare this and mermaid. different beasts. i do like some of the production on this. also, listening to this, i think jay should start singing songs in a lower key. his voice kind of peters out when he sings tenor.

but these aren't his tunes at all

but these aren't his tunes at all

they are his 'tunes' not his words. as for my previous statement, his songs are growing on me. nice release. i wonder if this was initially gob iron II or if that's another project.

I STRONGLY disagree about Jay's contributions.

As I stated that I am not a fan of Billy Bragg, the mere fact alone that this album contains 100% less Billy Bragg makes it far and away superior to the Mermaid outings.

1) Who?

2) This band already released their interpretation of "Revolutionary Mind"?

3) Is there room for more than one interpretation?

1 & 2) I'm hoping your question is sarcastic, but assuming it's not: Autumn Defense (aka John and Pat from Wilco) recorded a version of "Revolutionary Mind" on their first album back in 2000.

3) Of course there's room for more than one interpretation but, given the statement that there are "thousands of lyrics with no music," would it have been that hard to choose something other than the 30-ish songs already released from the Mermaid Avenue sessions?

Also, I'm no Billy Bragg fan either (Man In The Sand shows how much of a colossal blowhard he is) but his songs are solid. I found myself drifting while listening to New Multitudes and it's due to more than just Jay's whining style of singing.

Side one is pretty much flawless.

If you bought this record and are dissapointed I'm not quite sure what you were looking for going in. I think all four contributors delivered.

true, for collaborations and tribute records, this is one nails it. i just hope against hope to hear something from jay that tugs at my guts the way Tear Stained Eye or Ten Second News did/does.

so... this is kind of amazing...

'No Fear' is the easy highlight for me so far, but i'm loving everything.

i'm just bummed that the deluxe version is CD only, cuz i'd much rather get this on vinyl.

All the guys did a great job with the album. I especially enjoy the moments where the harmonies build in.

Some of my favorite parts are when Jay sings backup. This was something I also loved on the album he did with Ben Gibbard. His voice truly adds something special to a song.

All the guys did a great job with the album. I especially enjoy the moments where the harmonies build in.

Some of my favorite parts are when Jay sings backup. This was something I also loved on the album he did with Ben Gibbard. His voice truly adds something special to a song.

The "One Fast Move..." album is in my top 25 favorite albums. Perfect blend as you said acompanied by some fabulous songwriting.

The "One Fast Move..." album is in my top 25 favorite albums. Perfect blend as you said acompanied by some fabulous songwriting.

i'd love to see ben gibbard do some more alt. country type stuff. i wonder if he was asked to be involved in the New Multitudes project.

Shit. Nonesuch has a terrible distribution provider up here. 'Delayed until TBA' is the response. Can't wait to here this properly.

Are you talking about "New Multitudes" or "Mermaid Avenue: The Complete Sessions"? Because "New Multitudes" is already out.

New Multitudes. It is out everywhere except Canada, where it is delayed because Nonsuch cannot meet a release date.

Probably gonna skip the new MA stuff. I bet it is all culled Natalie Merchant material. ;)

New Multitudes. It is out everywhere except Canada, where it is delayed because Nonsuch cannot meet a release date.

Probably gonna skip the new MA stuff. I bet it is all culled Natalie Merchant material. ;)

New Multitudes was released in the US on Rounder Records. Are they releasing through Nonesuch in Canada?

Managed to install spotify yesterday. I think the hotel's IP address must have been American, cause as far as I know, Spotify is not available in the oil republic of Canuckistan.

very very very cool and it seems to still be working at a non-American IP address at least for this morning.

Nice to hear the bonus tracks without resorting to some pirate Blog.