Jay Farrar (and Friends): New Multitudes

So...now the story is that Wilco was the second choice to do the Billy Bragg collaboration because they were on tour.

Yeah.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Works for me. Jay is the ultimate bad guy. Isn't he?

No...but he keeps putting himself in a situation where it can easily be perceived as competing with Jeff.

So...now the story is that Wilco was the second choice to do the Billy Bragg collaboration because Son Volt was on tour.

Yeah.

No...but he keeps putting himself in a situation where it can easily be perceived as competing with Jeff.

i'm just curious, where else has jay done this. i'm drawing a blank :-)

btw, that link above has a nice vid of jay doing cocaine and ashes on acoustic. sounds really good. the close-up of his face shows that he's really into it. good stuff.

By the way...this is a VERY good record.

The Jay stuff sounds like Jay (which is comforting, but obvious), but the stuff from Will, Yim and Anders are REALLY nice.

• 1 year later...

"V.D. City" is a great song, but it is Centro-matic's Will Johnson on vocals.  And, like you, I think Anders' star shines brightest on New Multitudes.

Agreed. I only picked up this CD a month or so ago and I've listened to it numerous times. It's only now just leaving heavy rotation. Old LA was the one that hit me hardest. Such a simple yet beautiful song.

Agreed. I only picked up this CD a month or so ago and I've listened to it numerous times. It's only now just leaving heavy rotation. Old LA was the one that hit me hardest. Such a simple yet beautiful song.

Old LA was the song that grabbed me at first, as well. This is a pretty solid record. Good old Woody still with the magic touch - even from beyond the grave.

The Jim James dilema.....I agree that MMJ haven't really kicked on how I imagined they would. 'Z' is an amazing album but they seem to have lost focus with the most recent two. 'Circuital' isn't a bad record but its not one I keep going back to. That said he is a major talent and watching him belt out 'Wordless Chorus' live is something that everyone should experience at least once in their lives. He has a solo record due this year. It could either be stunning or really bad.

When your songs aren't considered good enough to be mimed by Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem, it may not be good to put said songs on an album (Circuital). I get that their live act is pretty good, I'm still not entirely convinced.

When your songs aren't considered good enough to be mimed by Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem, it may not be good to put said songs on an album (Circuital). I get that their live act is pretty good, I'm still not entirely convinced.

Finally, some folks who have a balanced look at MMJ :)

I think At Dawn and It Still Moves are basically masterpieces.  It's really disheartening how the band has fallen.  Z is great, except for a few lyrics.  The rest has been laughable.  There's moments in the last two albums, but they're just plain bad on the whole.  I get Yim Yames is goofy, but it just doesn't work in a serious rock outfit.  Very few can get away with this and not become a novelty act a la Weird Al.  

As I said, it's really sad.  Bands usually get better when they start out as strong as MMJ (see Wilco).  Unfortunately, they've just gotten worse.  Hopefully Yim has gotten it out of his system with the last two albums and his solo project and can get back to the silo rock that garnered them their fan base. 

One Holiday!  Come on!!

• 7 months later...

I've seen many a website refer to the combination of Farrar/Johnson/Parker/Yames as a band entity, I understand "New Multitudes" isn't the name of a band or supergroup, it's only the title of the album.

While listening to an automated playlist the album Telegraph Canyon came up, another Will Johnson project it appears, not a bad CD, definitely has its moments.