Your top 10 favorite English bands/solo artist

IF we're going UK, then I've got to add Rory Gallagher.

I don't like to quote myself but needs must....

the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland....

Rory Gallagher was Irish.

Some of you guys are in serious need of geography lessons....

I cheated a little by expanding listings...also, just can't quite bring myself to narrow it down to 10...

1) The Beatles

2) Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett

3) Elton John

4) The Rolling Stones

5) Brian Eno

6) The Who

7) David Bowie

8) The Style Council/Paul Weller

9) Caravan

10) Camel

11) Genesis/Peter Gabriel

12) King Crimson

Yes, Cork is not in Northern Ireland - forgive my egregious error, broc. Lighten up, Francis - did someone piss in your corn flakes this morning?

That's quite alright. Your googling isn't exactly right though, he was born in Donegal (which is near Northern Ireland) not Cork (though he was associated with Cork and was buried there). I thought you'd like to know that.

Pretty cool headstone on his grave too (in Cork :stunned).

220px-Rory-Gallagher-Grab.jpg

Edited by broc

That's quite alright. Your googling isn't exactly right though, he was born in Donegal (which is near Northern Ireland) not Cork (though he was associated with Cork and was buried there). I thought you'd like to know that.

Pretty cool headstone on his grave too (in Cork :stunned).

220px-Rory-Gallagher-Grab.jpg

Yeah, I was aware of that, but thanks for looking out for my ignorance. My friend Ian Curtin, a Cork native and unabashed proselytizer of things Gallagher, has a beer at Rory's grave pretty regularly (as an Irishman and a guitarist he pretty much deifies Gallagher). The head stone is modeled on an award he received for the International Guartist of the Year award (1972). Yes, there's a statue of Gallagher in his birth place of Ballyshannon (yeah, Ian's been there too), but he's considered a child of Cork as he was raised there and is burried there. Feel free to launch more insults after you Google a bit more.

Yeah, I was aware of that, but thanks for looking out for my ignorance. My friend Ian Curtin, a Cork native and unabashed proselytizer of things Gallagher, has a beer at Rory's grave pretty regularly (as an Irishman and a guitarist he pretty much deifies Gallagher). The head stone is modeled on an award he received for the International Guartist of the Year award (1972). Yes, there's a statue of Gallagher in his birth place of Ballyshannon (yeah, Ian's been there too), but he's considered a child of Cork as he was raised there and is burried there. Feel free to launch more insults after you Google a bit more.

It's OK, I'm done. I didn't start the insults.

Didn't know that about the headstone, was wondering about it (and didn't google!), thanks for the info. If I was a christian (and an international guitarist of the year) I'd like something like that. Is that award still around?

In other music news in England it looks like hell froze over..wonder what Liam thinks of this?

Taken from nme...

http://www.nme.com/n...on-albarn/62212

139472686Getty230212.jpg

Photo: Getty

Is that Noel and Damon Albarn?

If that's Damon, he looks freaking awful!

It's OK, I'm done. I didn't start the insults.

Didn't know that about the headstone, was wondering about it (and didn't google!), thanks for the info. If I was a christian (and an international guitarist of the year) I'd like something like that. Is that award still around?

The award was presented by Melody Maker magazine which hasn't existed since 99 or so. I believe Rory's brother ( and former manager) has possession of the award.

Eh, no it doesn't.

Britain is England, Wales and Scotland. You are confusing Britain with the United Kingdom (which is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

yeah, good point. i should have said "british" - which is what the original title was in the thread (and what i was trying to help define), rather than britain. british does refer to the people of northern ireland as well. where as the british isles, as you said, means mainland britain. so whereas you thought i was a whole country incorrect, i was in fact 3 letters incorrect in my statement.

glad that's all sorted - these little errors do niggle somewhat.

The award was presented by Melody Maker magazine which hasn't existed since 99 or so. I believe Rory's brother ( and former manager) has possession of the award.

Cheers. Yeah I used to get Melody Maker back in the late 80s when it and NME were half decent. I see Rory's albums are being re-issued, dunno if they're also being released on vinyl or whether they're remastered or not.

yeah, good point. i should have said "british" - which is what the original title was in the thread (and what i was trying to help define), rather than britain. british does refer to the people of northern ireland as well. where as the british isles, as you said, means mainland britain. so whereas you thought i was a whole country incorrect, i was in fact 3 letters incorrect in my statement.

glad that's all sorted - these little errors do niggle somewhat.

Yeah it can be a litle confusing. I must come across as pedant of the decade here but once again 'mainland Britain' is a misnomer with regard to NI. I think you mean mainland UK. Lots of folks in Ireland take issue with the term British Isles too (as do I) but from a scientific perspective (with regard to geology, flora and fauna) I think it's acceptable. It's kind of outdated now and you'll never here it being used with regard to British & Irish political relations.

Anyway my favourite Engish bands would be

The Beatles

Rolling Stones

The Kinks

Spacemen 3 (and Spectrum and early Spiritualized)

The Wedding Present

The Smiths

Billy Bragg up to the early 90s

The first couple of House of Love albums were super too

• 2 weeks later...

(random order)

The Beatles

Rolling Stones

The Who

Led Zep

Radiohead

Eric Clapton(all eras)

The Police

The Clash

Elton John

Pink Floyd

It seems I am alone in VC in liking Graham Parker, with or without The Rumours

I'm a pretty big fan of Graham's, but the wealth of British talent puts him slightly out of reach of my top 10.

I'm a pretty big fan of Graham's, but the wealth of British talent puts him slightly out of reach of my top 10.

This.

Although, a little more than slightly.