Of Montreal - Paralytic Stalks

I'm having a hard time getting into it. Listened to it several times, but not in heavy rotation. Probably gonna start cranking it up in the car over the next 2 weeks. Seeing them live April 6 here in Chattanooga. Looking forward to it. They're my sister's favorite band at the moment, so our mom bought us tickets for the gig for Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time getting into it. Listened to it several times, but not in heavy rotation. Probably gonna start cranking it up in the car over the next 2 weeks. Seeing them live April 6 here in Chattanooga. Looking forward to it. They're my sister's favorite band at the moment, so our mom bought us tickets for the gig for Christmas.

enjoy the show. they are in top form. i saw them a couple nights ago and it was up there with the best shows i've ever seen. i've been to a lot. easily the best of the 3 of montreal shows i've attended. non-stop energy, and a great light show. i don't know how anyone who likes rock music could not enjoy this tour. also, make sure you get there to see kishi bashi. his set was definitely worth showing up early for.

I went to see them a few years ago on advice from people from around here, I believe. Knew little/nothing about them, but they were playing locally and at a small venue. No offense, but it was a shitty show. I left after about 5 tunes. Not up my alley, apparently.

enjoy the show. they are in top form. i saw them a couple nights ago and it was up there with the best shows i've every seen. i've been to a lot. easily the best of the 3 of montreal shows i've attended. non-stop energy, and a great light show. i don't know how anyone who likes rock music could not enjoy this tour. also, make sure you get there to see kishi bashi. his set was definitely worth showing up early for.

Nice to hear. I'm looking forward to Kishi. I knew of him before I knew he was in with Of Montreal because he did strings on the road for Sondre Lerche (who I'm a little bit obsessed with). I've listened to his EP and really enjoy it. Can't wait to see it live.

Of Montreal is my sister's favorite band, and they played a free outdoor thing here years ago. After the show I was able to get Kevin Barnes' autograph for my sister. She didn't think much of them then, but now is all about them. It will be fun to get to go with her to her favorite band's show. It'll be interesting to see the tables turned, because she's been with me to 4-5 Wilco shows now.

Awesome to hear that the light show is great. Was the set real heavy on the new stuff?

Listening to them on Spotify now. Ashamed I don't know more of the words.

their set is made up of stuff from the sunlandic twins (2005) up until paralytic stalks (2012). the beginning of the tour was heavier on the new album, but lately it's been more of a mix.

lammycat - kevin barnes was really into his 'georgie fruit' character for the last few tours. not sure if that's when you saw them, but by the time they were doing the false priest tour, they seemed to be turning a lot of people off, including casual fans.....the side-show started to detract from the music (in the opinion of many)...for this tour however, it seems to be more about the music, and less about the theatrics. if you saw them today, you might have a different opinion. or not. but either way, the band is just killing it right now, and i'd recommend seeing them to anyone who has the chance.

so how did you like the show?

What a fun night! Oh man, it was really great. I for one, loved, the theatrics. The people in full body leotards where hilarious, and the music was great. My sister actually ended up getting to see them the next night in Atlanta.

Kishi Bashi was awesome too.

I saw them live sometime before the release of Hissing Fauna (like while they were recording HF I think, so 5-6 years ago) and they played nothing but Satanic Panic/Sunlandic Twins/HIssing Fauna material. It was awesome. One of the best concerts I've seen. I could have seen them last week, but I didn't.

However, I have had very little use for their albums past HF. I picked up the one after HF and thought it sucked and I literally haven't listened to a single album of theirs since. A song or two will come up on a playlist shuffle or something but I have no desire to listen to them on purpose. I guess I kinda outgrew them. I was into their pre-Satanic/E6 stuff but I outgrew that around the same time Kevin Barnes did...but where he went after that started off very interesting, and I was with him for awhile, but things became way too weird for me.

skeletal lamping (album after hissing fauna) is one of my all time favorites from any band. it definitely takes a while to digest though. i thought it was garbage the first time i heard it too. in fact, i almost threw the disc out the window on my way home from the record store, but luckily i don't litter, so i got to revisit it. it was well worth the time.

not sure if you can outgrow of montreal. maybe become disinterested...but it's certainly not kids music. though it can be. check out the new album though. you might like it. they've definitely toned down the weird on this one. but it's still quirky of course. what of montreal album isn't?