Jeff's Hair: Then And Now

I know this topic has probably been discussed ad nauseum over the years, but I ask you to humor me today.

Back in the early to mid-90s, Jeff had long, straight hair. He cut if off somewhere around Summerteeth, but a few years back grew it out again to the flowing mane he now has.

If you look at the 90s version, it was very, very straight. But when I see him now, it's often got a noticeable degree of curve or waviness to it.

Do we have any hair stylists who can explain how he does it? We're pretty sure his hair is naturally straight, right? So why isn't it straight now? Is he using product? Is it intentional or just an accidental byproduct of life on the road?

(I've reached out to Tony's office, but I haven't heard back yet. I'll let you know what they have to say.)

I need an answer about this now!!! I can't listen to a band unless I know how they grow hair. Also, I heard that Bruce Springsteen wore briefs in the 80's but switched to boxers around the time The Rising.....

Sorry, but is nothing sacred. Does it really matter? Let's give people a little privacy. My opinion...could be wrong.

wilco hair ranking, 2012 edition:

pat

glenn

mikael

jeff

john

nels

pat and glenn have great locks. they always do. definite champs right there. mikael has a good thing going with his hair lately. jeff looks good in a middle age greying way. john's is a bit too meh for my taste (though not bad either), and nels' recent hairstyle is just awful.

Talking about Jeff's hair is only an invasion of his privacy if we are discussing what it looks like when hidden by a hat, which is not the case here. I may, however, start another thread wherein we discuss the merits of the various hats worn by Jeff over the years. I kinda dug the mid-90s cowboy hat, myself.

The more I think about this, the more factors I think we need to consider. Is he indoors or out? Professional photo or tv appearance? Humidity? Has he been sweating? Wind conditions? How hard/soft was the water used to wash it? How often does he wash it? Conditioner? Noogies?

It's been too long since they had a band member with dreadlocks. However, I don't think Jeff could pull it off.

i dont think talking about hair really qualifies as invading privacy.

weird, yeah, but not invading privacy.

Sorry. I agree. It's weird, creepy, and stalkerish. But if it gets you through the night then who am I to judge? I compare shows, songs, and albums. Maybe I need to think outside of the box.... ;)

how is it stalkerish? it's not like we're following jeff and co around chicago to analyze their hair product purchases.

It is to me, but I'm just one person. I don't sit around and wonder about how people's hair has changed but my own hair. I'll say it again, analyze whatever you like. It's cool. Just sharing my opinion, and I don't think there is a right or wrong on this one. :)

i bet pat could, that fox

rankings of attractive wilco men:

pat

glenn

mikael

john

jeff

nels

Totally disagree -- Glenn is number one by a long shot. His cuteness has absolutely nothing to do with his job. Then John , then Pat, then Jeff (really, most gorgeaus eyes I've ever seen on a man) then Jeff, then Mikael, then Nels

i feel bad putting john so low. he's got a certain charm that i imagine ladies find hard to resist.

You got that right! Of all the guys, John has such an easy appeal. He looks like he'd be easy to talk to, from the perspective of a rabid fan.

But back to Jeff's hair. I kind of wish he'd play around with the vintage 50's look he was working, maybe in the late 90's.

How 'bout this?

1188924839.jpeg

I did notice Jeff's hair lately, still disheveled but in a stylish way...? Yep, hair changes as does everything as you get older. I was born blond, now my hair is very dark and falling out a bit on the top. Somewhere in the 80's it was kinda curly or bushy or something? A different person also cuts it now too! I also used to be an idiot, wait... well anyway some things do change as we age.

Come on, really... once you start losing your hair you want anybody's hair if they have a full head of it! I might even take a mullet someday if I could! Yeah, business in front, party in the rear, sounding better every day! Jeff's look is awesome, as long is the hair is there, all is good! If jeff loses his hair, then I'm out as a Wilco fan.

Now I'm going to go punch myself in the face so I can feel like a man again... I hate when the stylist in me gets pulled out by a random VC post. If you see me at the benefit shows, I'm the one with the self inflicted black eye and a can of spray-on hair in my back pocket. Black eyed and blue I say.

I'm going to have some weird dream tonight, I can just feel it. Jeff's hair, spray on hair, black eyes, it's going to be ugly! If I dream about jeff, I'll inquire about his new 'do! See you all down the road!!! :devil

Knowing that his wife hops onto the board from time to time, I can only imagine the conversation this thread might spur in the Tweedy family.

"Honey, you can't believe what they're talking about now... your hair!"

Do we have any hair stylists who can explain how he does it?

From an interview with "Hair on the Brain" in May 2010 http://www.haironthe...w-salon-owners/[/size]>

Sparrow is the new big-deal hair salon in Chicago. Owners Susan Flaga and Bathsheba Nemerovski opened the salon in a 120 year-old building in Logan Square, and they’ve gotten tons of attention ever since–the New York Times called Bathsheba one of Chicago’s best-kept secrets. Well, the secret is out. Sparrow has cultivated a devoted following, thanks to the duo’s low-maintenance cuts and natural-looking color. And Bathsheba cuts everyone’s hair from Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy to pre-teen blogging sensation, Tavi Gevinson.

HOTB: How did you wind up doing Jeff Tweedy’s hair?

Bathsheba: Jeff and his wife Susie have been friends of mine for years. I do the whole family’s hair.