Bands:

Poco

Toad The Wet Sprocket

Collective Soul

Individuals:

Jonathan Edwards

Dan Fogelberg

Billy Squier

Hell yeah! I agree 100% on Toad. Bread & Circus (written when Glen was 17), Pale , Fear and Dulcinea was an incredible run with hardly any missteps! Coil is great too..on a similar note I would add Del Amitri (around since 1983) great pop writters!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Cale.

The true music geeks don't underrate him, I don't think. But he is so very overshadowed by the more-flamboyant, so-very-New Yorker-ly Lou Reed that most "normal" people don't even know that he exists. But, for my money, his solo career has been light years better, and certainly more-interesting than that of his more-famous former bandmate.

Hell yeah! I agree 100% on Toad. Bread & Circus (written when Glen was 17), Pale , Fear and Dulcinea was an incredible run with hardly any missteps! Coil is great too..on a similar note I would add Del Amitri (around since 1983) great pop writters!

I don't know where you live but I recently purchased tickets to their show at Infinity Hall in CT...

http://www.infinityhall.com/events/toad-the-wet-sprocket/

kotche's snare sound

michael timmins guitar playing

jeff tweedy's tones

2. J.J. Cale- Troubadour (1976) This album is amazing, and I don't think is gets the appreciation it deserves.

5 is one of the best records around

Traveling Wilburys _Volume 1 (1988) One of the best garage bands and garage albums ever! (It was actually recorded in Bob Dylan's garage studio) Also marked the last recordings of Roy Orbison.

Dread Zeppelin's _ Un - Led - Ed (1990) Come on kids, reggae versions of Led Zep w/ an Elvis impersonator. An Un-derrated masterpiece!

I think that Wilburys album gets due recognition, imo. It's a great album and lauded as such, I believe.

Dread Zeppelin played here in Denver last weekend. I was unaware they were still around.

I second NRBQ. Grew up in CT and heave seen them a bunch. Those guys are troopers.

Self-Portrait is a decent enough amalgamation of an Lp. Some nice covers of some traditional tunes, as well. Dylan's most underrated album, imo, is the Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid album. The movie is underrated, as well.

John Cale.

The true music geeks don't underrate him, I don't think. But he is so very overshadowed by the more-flamboyant, so-very-New Yorker-ly Lou Reed that most "normal" people don't even know that he exists. But, for my money, his solo career has been light years better, and certainly more-interesting than that of his more-famous former bandmate.

A friend turned me on to Fear recently. What a fine frickin' record.

Mark Olson's post-Jayhawks group with Victoria Williams.

nice to see this getting some love. My Own Jo Ellen is way better than any Olsen-less era Jayhawks stuff.

Mansour Seck's 2 solo records

Freakwater.

Luna

This may just be the correct answer.

Make that Vic Chessnut, Townes Van Zandt and Alejandro Escovedo

Agree with you on "The Blue Earth" but I don't know "Bunkhouse" very well at all.

They rereleased it on cd about two years ago. It was called the Bunkhouse album but when rereleased it was called just "The Jayhawks" I highly recommend picking it up..something about Jayhawks twang and fast playing I love

http://en.wikipedia....Jayhawks_(album)

Do You have the expanded version of Blue Earth with Nightshade, Fingernail Moon and Two Minute Pop Song? How were these left off the original album!!!!??

Self Portrait under rated? It also wasn't a contract completer, nor was Dylan. One was done just prior to New Morning and the other was just crap Columbia put out because they were pissed that he left.

Poco is an underrated band to be sure.Los Lobos is hardly underrated, but meanwhile they are great.(The Blasters ARE underrated though if you want to name a band from the same music scene.)

LouieB

Self Portrait under rated? It also wasn't a contract completer, nor was Dylan. One was done just prior to New Morning and the other was just crap Columbia put out because they were pissed that he left.

Poco is an underrated band to be sure.Los Lobos is hardly underrated, but meanwhile they are great.(The Blasters ARE underrated though if you want to name a band from the same music scene.)

LouieB

The Blasters mention motivated me to find any recent Blasters news. Apparently Phil Alvin had difficulty breathing after a show in Spain this summer...

• Dave Alvin update on Phil Alvin: "For all of you who've been asking, here's a short version of my brother Phil's situation: My brother did NOT have a heart attack and he is NOT in a coma. Phil had trouble breathing after a performance in Valencia, Spain last week. He was taken to a hospital where an emergency tracheotomy was performed so he could breathe. Thankfully, his vocal chords were left untouched. The reason for his breathing difficulty is still being determined and he is still in ICU but Phil IS RECOVERING slowly and surely. The Blasters are there with him and family members and friends are on the way. Sincere heartfelt thanks from me to all of you for all of your support through this rough time."

They also released an album this summer, which can be listened to here: http://ripcatrecords.com/merch/music-fun-on-saturday-night-cd/