Living Room Shows 2012 - Any News?

"Bugger off. We paid for them and they were private" is a perfectly acceptable and understandable response.

Maybe the Tweedys prefer it that way now.

I actually have never listened to a tape of one of these, as I think that being there would be everything, but I have enjoyed reading bits of gossip in the past (both the actual facts contained and the enthsiasm with which these events are described) and am hoping that some attendees might chime in this year.

(I have no idea if any have even happened yet ...)

Ta very much in advance.

Alternatively, reading your choice alternatives to "Bugger off" would also be quite funny. Either way ...

Speaking from personal observation, it seems that in recent years the living room show threads can become ... erm ... a bit of a circle wank? People who attended post, and nobody else (aside from a handful of folks, perhaps) really seems to care too much. There's also the fact that many attendees don't frequent Via Chicago - either never have, or don't anymore. And these days people have so many social networking venues for communicating amongst themselves. That's not to say that some groups won't or shouldn't post here about their shows! But maybe insight into why some don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking from personal observation, it seems that in recent years the living room show threads can become ... erm ... a bit of a circle wank? People who attended post, and nobody else (aside from a handful of folks, perhaps) really seems to care too much.

I guess the explanation might also be that not so much the threads, but the Living Room Shows themselves are very much a circle wank, i.e. only available to a very limited circle of people, and speaking from my point of view, I can only guess that the vast majority of fans who had to miss out every time, due to not being able to splash out on 1) trip to the US including accomodation to be able to bid, 2) the show "entry" itself, and 3) another trip to the US including accomodation to attend the actual show, at some point just don't want to read about what they missed anymore.

This is at least what happened to me several years ago, I started to feel like a third class fan just for being born in the wrong part of the world, and well, just kind of couldn't be bothered anymore at some point. A very healthy attitude at least in my case, because it helped me get over the fact that I will never get a chance to attend, so much that I am meanwhile feeling sorry for Mr. Tweedy who will never be able to play in the most awesome living-room-to-be (aka our future one) ;)

And I second the applause for the screenname :P

This is at least what happened to me several years ago ...

I was under the impression that you had managed to get to one at some point a while back. Maybe not then - the memory is not what it was ...

I can't see how it can be turned into a negative for anyone - being there or not. As a Brit I feel very lucky to have seen 3 solo shows, with one feeling as intimate as a living room show (without the embarrasing stumbling conversation that would inevitably result in my case) so perhaps that helps. I'm also far too tight to spend that much money, and they're just an excellent source of banter, and I'm all about the banter, so that's why I enjoy reading about them (along with being a part time voyeur for all that c-w'ing).

Oh no, I never did :) Anf of course it's not negative at all, I think they serve great causes and make a group of people really happy. There was just a time where I felt really left out, and that doesn't only go for the shows themselves but also for the gatherings that come along with them ... and I know about some people who felt the same, maybe they just didn't want to speak out (like I just did) and become unpopular for feeling that way, although it can't be said loud enough that feeling left out/like missing out does NOT automatically mean those who are lucky every time should miss out too! (I guess people know me well enough to realize that is so not what I would want :yes) And meanwhile I am enjoying reading about them too again, if I actually happen to realize they are on, that is :lol

I heard Jeff played a few Levon Helm (the Band) tunes at the LRS show this past weekend.

Oh no, I never did :) Anf of course it's not negative at all, I think they serve great causes and make a group of people really happy. There was just a time where I felt really left out, and that doesn't only go for the shows themselves but also for the gatherings that come along with them ... and I know about some people who felt the same, maybe they just didn't want to speak out (like I just did) and become unpopular for feeling that way, although it can't be said loud enough that feeling left out/like missing out does NOT automatically mean those who are lucky every time should miss out too! (I guess people know me well enough to realize that is so not what I would want :yes) And meanwhile I am enjoying reading about them too again, if I actually happen to realize they are on, that is :lol

you realize that you could just choose not to visit the threads about living room shows, if they make you feel like engaging in self-pity? that way the people who enjoy hearing about the living room shows could still enjoy hearing about the living room shows, and you could save yourself from the pouting.

Oh sorry Atticus, I wasn't aware that my non-existent pouting was the reason for the LRS threads to not exist/be frequented anymore .... seeing as I only voiced my feelings from donkey's years ago today, but those threads apparently got "circle-wankey" - what a great word :D - quite a while ago, I assume you have been foreseeing the future then, huh. Next time just read my posts properly (as in: word after word after word) before you make weird illogical assumptions as to why certain threads might not be what they used to be anymore.

Brianne, I can understand that you people also felt weird talking about the whole things when you were basically on your own, but even if people - due to whatever reason - don't join in straight away, they are probably still really enjoying the reports (or pouting about them :lol)!

Oh sorry Atticus, I wasn't aware that my non-existent pouting was the reason for the LRS threads to not exist/be frequented anymore .... seeing as I only voiced my feelings from donkey's years ago today, but those threads apparently got "circle-wankey" - what a great word :D - quite a while ago, I assume you have been foreseeing the future then, huh. Next time just read my posts properly (as in: word after word after word) before you make weird illogical assumptions as to why certain threads might not be what they used to be anymore.

I don't know what the rest of this means, but I accept your apology.

I am really glad I brought the term "circle wank" into this whole deal. It's got legs!

Could be a cool name for an album, then you could go on a "Circle Wank Tour" or how about "The Tour For Circle Wank"!

Well that post describes pretty much everything that happened. I don't have a setlist in memory, but that's about all that's left to know about that night. My poster was sitting on top of the light.

What light?

Sorry...