Jack White's "Blunderbuss"

I'm enjoying it do far after a few listens. I really dig the piano parts that are all over the album - the combination of the piano and acoustic guitar in many of the songs is quite nice.

I'm liking Hip (eponymous) Poor Boy specifically. But I really like the feeling of the album overall.

(null)

Like I said in another thread. I've given everything he's done an honest listen but after a long while it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I find him predictable in the most obscure ways.

I would expect him to have his solo record called "Blunderbuss" and I'd expect him to have a song called "16 Saltine Crackers"... I dunno what I dont like about it. But I dont.

:D

I'm currently on my third pass through, and this one doesn't strike me as a grower. I think I love it. I've been listening to "Love Interruption" ever since it hit the Internet, and that's the obvious standout, but there are others here that might be its equal. I agree with Muzzle of Dan that the piano really works; about an hour ago I remarked to my wife that all the unexpected piano sounded terrific.

Haven't heard it but looking forward to it. There's not much the guy has done musically that I don't at least appreciate if not really enjoy. I read an article (RS, maybe?) on his approach to this album/tour: having a bunch of different musicians broken into two groups (male/female) and calling on them art varied times for studio work on particular tunes....Kind of a throw-it-at-the-wall-see-if-it-sticks approach, was my gathering....

I think for me it's about the same as those who don't get the Grateful Dead. I just don't see the appeal of this guy's music. I was recently watching a video of a song from Blunderbuss and my first thought was this guy has has been listening to Tanx (T.Rex album). I am sure he has talent and abilities that I will never have, but he does nothing for me. I think I actually own White Blood Cells, but I could never really get into the songs/music. I do like some of what I have read about him - his efforts with regards to mastering music and things of that nature.

I really like this album. I've listened to it about 3 times so far and I'm finding new things to appreciate with each listen.

I can understand why his persona could be off-putting to some, because he can come off as a pretentious twat. But I've always liked him and he seems to be a true music fan and aficionado, even if he does kind of work it. I loved him in "It Might Get Loud" and one of my favorite moments in Scorsese's Rolling Stones documentary "Shine a Light" is when he joined them on "Loving Cup." He just looked ecstatic to be up there playing with Keith and Mick.

and one of my favorite moments in Scorsese's Rolling Stones documentary "Shine a Light" is when he joined them on "Loving Cup." He just looked ecstatic to be up there playing with Keith and Mick.

Yes!

I think for me it's about the same as those who don't get the Grateful Dead. I just don't see the appeal of this guy's music. I was recently watching a video of a song from Blunderbuss and my first thought was this guy has has been listening to Tanx (T.Rex album). I am sure he has talent and abilities that I will never have, but he does nothing for me. I think I actually own White Blood Cells, but I could never really get into the songs/music. I do like some of what I have read about him - his efforts with regards to mastering music and things of that nature.

I'm with you A-man. That's how I have felt about Jack ever since the early days of the Stripes.. I don't hate him or anything but his music and guitar playing has always just seemed sort of.... pretentious or something.

However as I have said before, I think he hits it out of the park with his old-school country/folk stuff that he did for the Cold Mountain soundtrack.

I read an interview with White where he says he feels like he could be Bob Dylan's son. He respects Dylan greatly and I think he borrowed or was inspired by how Dylan kept himself somewhat a mystery...maybe partly accident, but I think Dylan did a lot of it purposely. But White seems to have taken to a different level, with the way he set boundaries and rules for the Stripes like only having 3 colors and 3 instruments, the way the Raconteurs presented themselves, the blue tones he's chosen for his solo album and tour, and how he always seems in character when in the midst of touring. I think it's quite brilliant actually and for me it adds to my enjoyment of his records.

One of my favorite things about R.E.M. was how they treated each album and tour almost like a new personality. Most of their artistic presentation was Stipe, but it was always cool to me how under-stated the other band members were.  

I've seen White live 3 times, with the Stripes, Raconteurs and Dead Weather. Each time I was thoroughly impressed. His stage presence is unreal. With the Raconteurs and Dead Weather he tried to just be one of the members, but every time he sang or ripped off a guitar solo or even just the way he moved, you couldn't take your eyes off him.

"Blunderbuss", for me, captures White at his finest. His recent divorce and the official end of the Stripes seems to have greatly inspired some interesting and dark lyrics. And musically he tries lots of different things in a very good way. Sixteen Saltines holds its own against any Stripes song. Love Interuption is spare, beautiful and dark. The title track has an old Bob Dylan vibe but sounds prettier. Freedom at 21 and Weep Themselves To Sleep are tough-sounding, almost Eminem-like songs. I'm Shakin is a fun cover. Hip Poor Boy makes me think of Pual McCartney. On and On and On is my favorite song of that title, which says a lot 'cause I like Wilco's same-titled song a lot. Take Me With You When You Go is schizophrenic, but great.

Just heard White is gonna score the 2013 film "Lone Ranger" with Johnny Depp. Can't wait to hear it.

i like this album a lot more than I expected to based on the early singles, and I'd take it over the last two White Stripes albums, but it's still hit or miss in spots (the lyrics to Sixteen Saltines are rather terrible imo).

still a solid 7.5/10 record tho.

I think the new record is pretty bad ass. Anybody else heard it yet?

this is my feeling exactly: bad ass. like, listening to this album makes me feel like one. great riffs, song structure is all over the place but well done.

i read a really long article about jack white in the NYT a couple weeks ago, and my take-away from it was that he is a pretentious twat (i'll borrow that description, thankyouverymuch), so i don't really know why i even gave this a chance. i mean, i've never spent any real time with any of his previous efforts. anyway, i'm glad i gave this a shot because now i can't stop listening to it!

this is my feeling exactly: bad ass.  like, listening to this album makes me feel like one.  great riffs, song structure is all over the place but well done.

i read a really long article about jack white in the NYT a couple weeks ago, and my take-away from it was that he is a pretentious twat (i'll borrow that description, thankyouverymuch), so i don't really know why i even gave this a chance. i mean, i've never spent any real time with any of his previous efforts.  anyway, i'm glad i gave this a shot because now i can't stop listening to it!

"Blunderbuss" has a serious swagger.

• 1 year later...