So Stereogum came up with the top 25 albums of 2012 (so far).

A couple of things occurred to me:

1. Other than Spiritulized I know none of these bands

2. So far no new music has really done anything for me in 2012.

The only albums that I have had any marginal interest in is Andrew Bird's Break It Yourself and Jack White's Blunderbuss.

So is there any new music that I should be checking out?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cloud Nothings album is great, along with Spiritualized and Lotus Plaza. There are a few albums on that list that I've only listened to once or twice (Sleigh Bells, Chairlift, Julia Holter) and they were pretty good. I've heard good things about the new Beach House, but haven't listened to it yet.

Here are some others I've really liked this year:

The Big Pink - Future This

Craig Finn - Clear Heart Full Eyes

First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar

Heartless Bastards - Arrow

Jack White - Blunderbuss

Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It

Polica - Give You the Ghost

Suckers - Candy Salad

White Rabbits - Milk Famous

I actually think it's been a great year so far.

Here are some others I've really liked this year:

First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar

Heartless Bastards - Arrow

Those two are my favorites so far, plus I think Alabama Shakes - Girls and Boys is a great summer album.

Also have enjoyed Dr. John's album a lot.

I feel 2012 is fairly weak so far, too. That said, the Bastard's Arrow is a fantastic record and far and away the best of the year (for me) with Andrew Bird and Jack White a distant 2nd and 3rd. "Parted Ways" and the title track are two of the best songs of the decade (so far).

Definitely agree on heartless bastards and andrew bird. I however put jack white's new one closer to those two as well as polica.

I loved seeing dr. dog but have not listened to their new one much.

bought barr brothers but have not listened yet b/c it got stuck in my cd player the first time i put it in, which pissed me off.

2012 has definitely been pretty poor for new music so far, Beach House's 'Bloom' stands high above the rest for me.

after that, i love these: Sharon Van Etten, The Walkmen, Technicolor Teeth, Frankie Rose

and dig these a heck of a lot: Geographer, Delta Spirit, Tanlines, First Aid Kit, Tallest Man on Earth

For me, I think that 2012 has been one of the better years in a while. Some really great albums from:

Barry Adamson

Cate Le Bon

fun.

Justin Townes Earle

Dr. John

OFF!

And some reissues from:

Alex Chilton

Cleaners From Venus

My Bloody Valentine

Plus there are albums that I have not yet heard from some other bands that I really like: Best Coast, Ty Segall, Spiritualized, Martin Newell

Seriously: Not a good year? I am loving this year.

japandroids you mofos. It's my choice for standing slightly above the John K Samson and then all the rest.

I've heard a lot about this record and should probably check it out. Thanks for the reminder.

2012 has definitely been pretty poor for new music so far, Beach House's 'Bloom' stands high above the rest for me.

after that, i love these: Sharon Van Etten, The Walkmen, Technicolor Teeth, Frankie Rose

and dig these a heck of a lot: Geographer, Delta Spirit, Tanlines, First Aid Kit, Tallest Man on Earth

I couldn't find the Technicolor Teeth album on Spotify...is it out yet?

I think the Cloud Nothings album kicked me out of my malaise following 2011, which I found to be a subpar year for music. It kind of cleansed the palate and I've been enjoying a lot of new music this year.

i forgot sharon van etten and delta spirit for me. i had only heard tallest man on earth's single, which kicked ass.

and i will check out japandroids.

Arrow by Heartless Bastards is definitely my favorite of the year so far. I'm sure it would stack up in my top 3-5 in any year. I think it's that good.

Someone above mentioned Barr Brothers, but I think that's a 2011 release?

I haven't yet heard the Dr. John release, but I hear it's great and I'm looking forward to checking that out.

Other than that, I haven't heard of most of the bands listed and mentioned.

My top picks for the year so far. The Shins album continues to grow on me. "40 Mark Strasse" is certainly one of my favorite songs of the year.

1. Beach House

2. Mark Lanegan

3. The Shins

I couldn't find the Technicolor Teeth album on Spotify...is it out yet?

I think the Cloud Nothings album kicked me out of my malaise following 2011, which I found to be a subpar year for music. It kind of cleansed the palate and I've been enjoying a lot of new music this year.

http://technicolorteeth.bandcamp.com

as for Cloud Nothings... i fell in love with their S/T from last year this past January, but the new 90's alt-rock-ish one doesn't do much for me besides a song or two. i kind of preferred the lo-fi meldoic surf rock vibe of their earlier tunes i guess. i've heard the Attack on Memory stuff is a monster live tho.

japandroids you mofos. It's my choice for standing slightly above the John K Samson and then all the rest.

for whatever reason i'm not taking to this one nearly as much as Post Nothing :(

Two words: Lady Ga Ga. Or is that 3 words?

Yeah...after all, she is the greatest artistof the 21st Century (so far) :w00t

So far the Shins, Beach House and Japandroids are tops for me. The Beach House album is gorgeous. The Japandroids is great but it feels like Post-Nothing pt. 2. The Shins has to be my favorite though: it's one of those records that feels like it's better than it should be. Seriously, it has barely left my cd player in my truck.