Sprint commercial

http://www.chicagotr...,3426266.column

Wilco a band with an indelible brand

I don't particularly agree with article, but I have never been one to care about this type of stuff, either. Plus I don't own a VW and haven't shopped at a Whole Foods in a while, though my neighborhood will be getting one by the end of the year, so that may change a bit.

The Tribune just instituted a sign-in policy (that is free) to read columnists' content, so I am not sure if the link will work for "non-subscribers" .

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chicagotr...,3426266.column

I don't particularly agree with article, but I have never been one to care about this type of stuff, either. Plus I don't own a VW and haven't shopped at a Whole Foods in a while, though my neighborhood will be getting one by the end of the year, so that may change a bit.

The Tribune just instituted a sign-in policy (that is free) to read columnists' content, so I am not sure if the link will work for "non-subscribers" .

Interesting article. If you do a google search you can access the article without having to subscribe.

As for Whole Foods, one is opening soon sort-of-near me, too. I like Whole Foods, but they are expensive; I prefer smaller, local health food stores--still pricey, but not as much so. Such is the nature of healthy foods, unfortunately. (Even more off topic from the point of this thread and therefore parenthetical: local farmers' markets are fantastic!) Still, I will visit the new Whole Foods on occasion. Wonder if they play Wilco as background music?

Speaking of brands and products: Does anyone know if the Wilco/Intelligensia coffee will be a go again this fall? I missed it last year and want to try it if it's available again soon.

The commercial is tacky and I hate it. Before they became just another marketing tool, flash mobs were great for introducing spontaneity into everyday life – now, as is the case with just about everything else, the idea has been co-opted and commoditized by marketers. And thus dies yet another form of spontaneous creativity for creativities’ sake – the sort of events that take place just for the hell of it, with no interest in selling you something.

As for the decision to sell another song, meh, whatever – I haven’t really listened to (new) Wilco all that much since Sky Blue Sky.

At some point, Wilco's entire catalog will be probably be available for use in commercials, etc - that will be fun.

Wow...I'm glad to see you back!!!

Poverty=Purity, eh? The music industry is less profitable than ever, except for the absolute lowest common denominator. I'd rather have Wilco music in a commercial than not at all. Right now, that's a false choice, but that's the direction the industry is moving. It's not 1985 any more.

Hell...it's not even 2007 anymore.

I must admit that I will turn to my (now 18 year old) son and say something along the lines of "who is that? that is a pretty cool song...we may have to pick that one up" whenever a song comes on a commercial.

It's a new world, mabe not so brave, but certainly it ain't your dad's world. Radio, with very rare exceptions, caters to the lowest common denominator. Even satellite radio is not really cutting edge. Television commercials are now simply a very viable means of exposing 30 seconds or so of a song to an audience that may not even know it wants it.

That is what advertising is about...and if my favorite band can co-opt to system to make money that will allow them to pursue their craft with greater ease, than maybe you guys need to start realizing that revolution is really being televised. It's just not the revolution you wanted it to be.

I know this post is getting long and old, but this commercial is fine. This band does so much for the community-how many benefits shows do they do every year?-and for its fans. Also, the song in the commercial is cryptic, many of us had to do a double take before we recognized it.