I get more into the World Cup but yes I'll be watching some games for sure.

disappointing results on the opening day. Poland played a great first half, and a lousy second half, dodging a couple of bullets and squeaking past with a draw. The Czech's got trounced, it looked like they left their defence in Usti Nad Labem.

Kind of exciting to be on the ground here even though we're not one of the host cities. England, Italy and the Netherlands are all based here though, and word on the street is about getting into to see practice sessions, which my son was lucky enough to do.

F'n Oranje. Looked like shit against the Danes. Robben continues his choke-fest. I need to pick another team to root for, they always break my heart.

Same here I guess. Thank God there is still England. No wait ..... that's not gonna help much is it :no

certainly looked that way but i heard it explained thus: it wasn't offsides because the ball came off an Irish player, not as a pass from a teammate.

I thought he was off too. That goal really deflated them, they were just never the same after it. I know they were outmatched talent-wise but I felt like they played well in the first half. Their header goal was a beauty.

--Mike

certainly looked that way but i heard it explained thus: it wasn't offsides because the ball came off an Irish player, not as a pass from a teammate.

Definitely off the Irish player, no offsides.

Irish need a miracle tomorrow.

I love the World Cup with all it's spectacle and cheering on the USA but, football-wise, I prefer the Euros. With only the top 16 teams in Europe qualiying, the competion is strong and they are few "gimmee" games, ala Spain 4-Ireland 0. Save Brazil and Argentina, the best national teams in the world are involved.

Since I only teach night school in the summer, I have been able to watch almost all of the games. Every one has had some lovely football and, except for 1 or 2, the outcome hasn't been known until the final kick. That's about all that you can ask for. Damn, I enjoy watching competitive, quality football.

I was gutted when Varela scored late. I was pulling for the Danes after that comeback and felt that 1 point against Portugal would get them through but now they might not advance despite beating the Dutch. Wow. My wife and I are going to the local to watch the England - Sweden game this afternoon. I am pulling for the 3 Lions. Hodgson was the best choice for manager as England do not have the quality of other teams. A well-organized side gives them their best chance to advance and Roy is an organizer. After earning an important point against the best side in the group, France, I expect more attacking football today. Many England fans seem deluded regarding how their players match up with the top squads. A good gaffer knows what to do to have the best chance at a result.

I am also glad that ESPN has the games as Ian Darke and Steve McManaman are my favorite team. Knowledgeable, insightful and, most importantly, witty bastards. The pre and post match show, not so much. Anyone else expecting (and hoping) that Ballack decks Alexei Lalas? I have never understood the appeal of that loudmouth.

Back to my first point about the Euros quality, I read this today on SkySports and I agree with Jamie Carragher that Platini's decision to expand the competition is cynical and will dilute the competition..

http://www1.skysport...os-to-be-ruined

Ha ha! Oh the humanity! That this has caused controversy is silly.

Damn, what a storm. The right call to suspend the Ukraine/France game. The cutaway of the sky above the stadium lit up by lightning said it all. Also, my wife and I have been wondering about the the Ukraine's anthem "Ukraine has not yet perished". Are they expecting to?

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny, I have never really paid attention but was on vacation in Scotland for some of the early games. The crowds and excitement were infectious. Since I could not find the NBA finals anywhere I started watching and really started getting into it. Now if I could just find a place here in the states that showed the games and served Haggis I would be a happy man.