David Byrne & St. Vincent - Love This Giant

This sounds really interesting.

“I am thrilled to announce the record David Byrne and I have made together, Love This Giant. We started our collaboration around the fall of 2009 after being approached by Housing Works to write and perform a night of new music for charity. We decided to center the music around a brass band and began sending ideas back and forth in every form: wordless melodies, melody-less songs. After a while we had enough of a body of work that David, not one to do anything halfway, suggested we record it and put it out. I am very proud of what we created and excited for it to hit your ears.”

-Annie Clark (St. Vincent)

“Annie suggested we use a brass band rather than the typical rock ensemble—which would brilliantly solve the sound problems inherent in performing in a small joint like Housing Works. A brass band wouldn’t need mixing and could be heard acoustically in a room that size. I loved this idea and suggested we write some tunes based on this brass concept, just a few to see if we could actually work together and to see if we both liked the results. That was a few years ago. The writing was truly collaborative: sometimes Annie would send me some synthesized versions of brass or guitar riffs and I would arrange them a bit and write a tune and words over them; other times this process would be reversed and I would send some musical ideas to Annie for her to write over. This material would get passed back and forth—each of us adding and elaborating on it. We both had other records and tours in the works, so this project was done in fits and starts, and each series of recording sessions involved a lot of players. It was an education that involved figuring out the variety of sounds and approaches one could come up with using more or less the same group makeup on every song—we could go funky or majestic with the exact same band. When John Congleton added some beats, we could see a surprisingly song-centric record emerging. A lot of people, hearing a description of this project, assumed that it might be an artsy indulgence, but somehow it didn’t turn out that way. It’s a pop record—well, in my book anyway. I started to sense that we were ending up with a sound and approach I’d never heard before. There were elements that were reminiscent of things I’d heard, but a lot of it was completely new. Very exciting!”

“We’ll be doing these songs and a bunch of songs that we suspect people will know, with a group that includes eight brass players, a keyboardist and a drummer,” says Byrne of the tour.

-David Byrne

Album Sept 11. First song download & tour info here: http://lovethisgiant.com/about/

I like the song. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I like it...

I plan on catching the tour in its swing through NY. I like to tell my David Byrne story oftent. I met David at Jeff's panel discussion he did at the NY Public Library back in 2005 on who owns music. David rode his bike in, attended the show and I spoke to him after.. :guitar

“We’ll be doing these songs and a bunch of songs that we suspect people will know, with a group that includes eight brass players, a keyboardist and a drummer,” says Byrne of the tour.

That sounds amazing.

the first track is decent but it's about exactly what I expected from this collaboration... song sounds like it could have been off any of David's last few solo albums with Annie singing a bit of vocals and a tiny bit of hear guitar playing.

hoping for a lot more impressive songs on the album.

• 2 months later...

The record comes out tomorrow, and I downloaded it today (pre-orders got access to the download today). It's been streaming for a few days as well.

Only one listen so far, but it's pretty good. The horns are more prevalent on some tracks than others. Nice vocals from both. Looking forward to a few more spins. "Dinner For Two" is my early favorite.