Wilco merchandising

A friend sent a link to this http://www.twigcase....-the-wilco-case:

(The FSC Certified Wilco paper/bamboo iPhone 4/4s case. Available soon from wilcoword.net):

527864_263002390467370_1483569469_n_large.jpg?1688

It reminded me of an article in the Chicago Tribune another friend sent me over the weekend about Wilco's marketing savvy (http://www.chicagotr...,3426266.column), and I wondered...

What have been some of your favorite Wilco merchandising? And does anyone have good ideas for products they should consider peddling in the wilco store?

Thanks for posting this, it's really interesting. Not sure if I agree with the description of that Wilco demographic, but marketers and publicists tend to use generalisations, even stereotypes when describing what they consider an ideal market segment. It's their job anyway.

"as far as I know, Wilco has never advocated a Wilco lifestyle, and would almost certainly find this column ridiculous. Plus, though the band wouldn't comment on its branding, manager Tony Margherita, via email, replied: "They think of themselves as a band, not a brand."

I think it's somewhat amusing how all pervasive their level of merch is, but...I also think in an era where there's less & less money made from album sales that it's a good way for fans to support the band. And I think that whoever is in charge of this that they do a pretty creative job of putting out interesting & wildly varying products stylistically speaking...don't always love all of it, but love plenty of it's designs & execution..

A few other thoughts...

1) I wish they'd go back & re-release some of the best shirts/hats/scarves, etc., etc. ...Like the one that was stylized like The Ramones logo...or Wilco (The Shirt)...they could post various old designs & ask for a vote on what go run again...or just do re-runs periodically...

2) After having gotten so many great "fan club recordings" of various live shows, demos & unreleased gems that gave them nothing, I've been more than happy to buy some merch from them.

I dig the football/socer/futbol scarves (own a couple of each of The Whole Love designs) & was lucky enough to be looking at the official website when they put out some older Wilco baseball caps recently (I bought them all- 2 of 2 different 2008 designs- a blue & a black, & one 2007 cap as well)...& I've bought a vaious buttons & bumper stickers/stickers, a couple of older style scarves, a few t-shirts & one old baseball cap from what is, I think, their first ever tour (very cool)...but had to get all of these used/not from Wilco direct- and I'd have been glad to have given them the money had they had what I wanted....

Have a few Wilco merch items, and glad to have them and pay for them for a band that gives us so much. Among my favorites: the Wilco/Intelligensia coffee mug from the first Solid Sound, a few tee shirts (cherry ghost and Wilco phone ringing) and a beautifully framed and signed "butterfly" poster for the Orpheum Theater show on the "Evening With" tour.

Love that owl iphone case!

That article was posted in another forum here not long ago (can't recall which one), and I found it interesting. Apparently Wilco's style isn't easy to pinpoint, but typical characteristics of the fanbase are.

Alas, I own few pieces of Wilco merchandise. My family and friends just don't get it (we've all been there), so I've just learned to keep it happily to myself rather than endure the awkward silence and vibes aimed at me at mention of the band. :lol I don't even own a Wilco shirt (what kind of fan am i?)

If Wilco does the coffee thing again this fall, I'm in. Last year I wasn't paying full attention and missed the order date. This year, though, I'll be on it.

I do have a few posters, two from 2003 and this one, which is my favorite. All are rolled up in a poster tube. I almost put this one up in our office room at home, since the yellows would blend nicely with the wall color we have there, but decided not to in order to head off the reaction from my husband (in all fairness, I'd have the same reaction to an Alice Cooper poster or the like if he were to put one up). It might go up in my office at work--we'll see.

385105_10150501469395421_8290410420_11067325_430405857_n-e1323106452750.jpg

I like having Wilco ts, but the quality has been really hit or miss the last few years. I love the AA 50/25/25 shirt, but they don't use it very often and the others just don't wash and wear well. However, we buy a lot of posters. I mean, who doesn't need more posters rolled up in the closet?!

1. That column was funny.

2. There are Wilco message "boards"? I am reacting to this like 1000 AD Man would react to hearing that there are other continents.

Well a brief 2012 check in...love, & bought, the black 2012 Summer Tour Men's shirt ($25 & 100% organic cotton) with the Psychedelic Neo-Dragonfly type artwork!...Also got a couple soft, unstructured cotton baseball caps (a mere $20)- Maroon with a white "W", with the same cool "W" Logo that's on the facebook official page (minus the two baseball bats though) & "Wilco" written on the back...adjustable, & they really look like a team's cap...Team Wilco that is!

They play a tour of triple A baseball parks (ending up with loads of clips on MLB.com from '09, and/or '10), they sponsor a Little League Team (in Mass. I believe it is) & now this...what's not to love?

Well a brief 2012 check in...love, & bought, the black 2012 Summer Tour Men's shirt ($25 & 100% organic cotton) with the Psychedelic Neo-Dragonfly type artwork!...Also got a couple soft, unstructured cotton baseball caps (a mere $20)- Maroon with a white "W", with the same cool "W" Logo that's on the facebook official page (minus the two baseball bats though) & "Wilco" written on the back...adjustable, & they really look like a team's cap...Team Wilco that is!

https://www.facebook...&type=1

They play a tour of triple A baseball parks (ending up with loads of clips on MLB.com from '09, and/or '10), they sponsor a Little League Team (in Mass. I believe it is) & now this...what's not to love?

I spoke to someone who's touring the mrech end of things with Wilco regarding the baseball caps & here's the deal.

Apparently these hats/caps are going to be available on the website fairly soon- he thought they were already, but they aren't. Originally they were available in red, blue & maroon...but they sold out of the end of the red ones the first night in NYC & they aren't re-ordering the red ones- looks like those were limited & now discountinued. They only had the red ones in NYC & there were none to be had at all on nights 2 & 3. They have re-ordered the blue & maroon, & those will be what will be available online, but when that will be is still an unknown. In Cooperstown they'd gotten back in the maroon ones, but the elusive blue ones were still unavailable...but hopefully they'll land soon...

I've got 2 maroon, & 2 red...and the only mysterious unanswered question that remains is...is that Mets blue, or Yankees blue? Either way I'm pickin' up at least 2, maybe 3.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to someone who's touring the mrech end of things with Wilco regarding the baseball caps & here's the deal.

Apparently these hats/caps are going to be available on the website fairly soon- he thought they were already, but they aren't. Originally they were available in red, blue & maroon...but they sold out of the end of the red ones the first night in NYC & they aren't re-ordering the red ones- looks like those were limited & now discountinued. They only had the red ones in NYC & there were none to be had at all on nights 2 & 3. They have re-ordered the blue & maroon, & those will be what will be available online, but when that will be is still an unknown. In Cooperstown they'd gotten back in the maroon ones, but the elusive blue ones were still unavailable...but hopefully they'll land soon...

I've got 2 maroon, & 2 red...and the only mysterious unanswered question that remains is...is that Mets blue, or Yankees blue? Either way I'm pickin' up at least 2, maybe 3.

Mystery solved...the blue hats are more of a Mets/Royal blue & not a dark navy blue. And, for the record, I grabbed 3 (as the blue was/is my fave)...I guess the maroon & blue will be available on line sooner or later...and the red ones are not being continued, or made available online (glad I got a couple when I did)...

I like having Wilco ts, but the quality has been really hit or miss the last few years. I love the AA 50/25/25 shirt, but they don't use it very often and the others just don't wash and wear well. However, we buy a lot of posters. I mean, who doesn't need more posters rolled up in the closet?!

I'm so proud - I just unrolled and reorganized all my posters into fewer poster tubes, and everything is clearly written on the outside of the tube so I know where each poster is. I should get a medal. :lol

I would have to add onto this house or move to be able to display all these. But I still love the artwork of each, and the memories.

I would like something a little more substantial out of a ballcap. Not necessarily a 5950, but maybe something in-between that and what they sold. Guess I could always buy a Washington Nationals / Senators or Winnpeg Whips hat and pretend the W stands for Wilco. I restrained myself this tour and only bought the key chain tag. I vote for more of the little, inexpensive, goodies.

The quality of the material used in the t-shirts is really shoddy.

Well, maybe not shoddy. But they are certainly insubstantial.

I rarely wear the t-shirts I bought at concerts and bundled from Kung-Fu.