Wilco (officially released live shows)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, while poking around the Roadcase listings I notice that the first night of 2013 Solid Sound, the all covers show, is not listed.  Like an idiot I kept meaning to purchase this.  Did I miss the boat on this? (Yeah, I know - it's almost 2 1/2 years later....)

No MP3 option for the Buffalo show? I'd rather not pay extra for something I'm going to convert anyway.

The MP3 option for the Buffalo show is now available...

So, while poking around the Roadcase listings I notice that the first night of 2013 Solid Sound, the all covers show, is not listed.  Like an idiot I kept meaning to purchase this.  Did I miss the boat on this? (Yeah, I know - it's almost 2 1/2 years later....)

Apparently both of the nights of 2013 Solid Sound (the 1st night of covers & the 2nd night of all Wilco material) are missing now? The covers one has been MIA for awhile now, but I don't know what's up with this situation at all? At least they are not editing out all the songs from "Wilco (The Album)" out of the Roadcase releases anymore...but now this mystery of whatever happened to Roadcase #18 & 19? I have them both, but those files are on another computer, but hopefully someone here will hear your plea & PM you about it.

So how does that work... can a band record the show for their own internal archive, but just not release it unless they pay the extortion, er, licensing fee? Or do they really need to pay that amount up front just for some in-house guy to hit the record-button on their own gear? Does the venue not even allow bands to make "audience recordings" or does that rule apply to soundboard feeds only?

I'm pretty sure that Town Hall in NYC is run the same way. I guess I'm not surprised this happens at larger venues, but I've seen it at smaller, no-name places too. A guy I know couldn't even tape his own daughter's set at some rinky-dink place in NYC called Arlene's Grocery.

Actually just happened to read an article on the New York Times website that stated the following:
"These days, whether an institution streams is often dictated by its union contracts. Contracts written when recording and broadcasting were still lucrative — before they were seen by many organizations as, essentially, marketing tools — still offer high media payments that some presenters say would make streaming too expensive."

Bands release shows from the Ryman all the time (see bands like Umphrey's McGee as well as other jambands).  If Wilco wanted to release it they absolutely could with very little hassle.  

I saw road case mics up in Knoxville. Hope they got the Ryman shows. I didn't pay attention to look if they had mics up there.

They've been recording every single show for well over 5 years but just don't seem to have any desire to release as many bands do these days.  I was hoping these releases would turn into a regular thing, but it seems as if they're opting more for the "we'll do it when we feel like it" type of mentality which is a bummer.  They could make a ton of money doing archival releases, even if they're releases of relatively recent tours/shows (i.e. the '09 "An Evening with..." shows)

They've been recording every single show for well over 5 years but just don't seem to have any desire to release as many bands do these days.  I was hoping these releases would turn into a regular thing, but it seems as if they're opting more for the "we'll do it when we feel like it" type of mentality which is a bummer.  

It makes me wonder whether they are listening to the recordings and making decisions based on some sort of quality control factor. What seems like a perfect show to excited fans in the audience might actually be a show where someone blew a lyric, hit a bad note, etc. That alone might be enough to make the call. I kind of doubt it's just random, or based on economics, but who knows.

It makes me wonder whether they are listening to the recordings and making decisions based on some sort of quality control factor. What seems like a perfect show to excited fans in the audience might actually be a show where someone blew a lyric, hit a bad note, etc. That alone might be enough to make the call. I kind of doubt it's just random, or based on economics, but who knows.

That's my feeling too.  If jambands can do it (release recordings of every show no matter what) then Wilco could absolutely do it if they really wanted it.  I agree that it could very well be music related, but part of me thinks it's probably a knee jerk reaction based on how they felt after the show. I just don't see Jeff sitting down and analyzing shows really...

Phish, Allmans, Mule, Dead/Phil, etc., all make every show available for download.  I assume the economics work for them else they wouldn't do it.  Granted, they all have larger audiences than Wilco.  As much as I love the Wilco studio releases, I'm a live music fan and 90% of what I listen to is live recordings, so I'd love to see them open the vault for downloads.

For me, to get variety in Wilco live recordings I have to rotate recordings from different eras. There are tons of fantastic soundboard recordings (and audience recordings) out there from 1995-2005, after which the quality seems to taper off a bit. So with all those out there, I just don't see the band releasing too much stuff from that time, unless they've got high-quality recordings of shows that aren't readily available for free download on the interwebs.

There's just not enough setlist variety in the Roadcase recordings for me to plunk down the dough for them. I've got 3-4 that spread out the songs fairly well, but there are still repeats. Which is what makes the most recent Roadcase releases attractive, seeing that Wilco decided to really shake things up setlist-wise at the last few gigs.

Anyone else have a problem with the Port Chester downloads. I clicked on the download link for the first night and all that happened was a new tab opened with the cover art work.  No files downloaded and now I have zero downloads left for this show.  Email sent to Kung Fu.

Heads up, I was clicking on the wrong entry in "my downloads" menu.  For some reason, they now have 3 entries for each Roadcase ordered, all with download arrows, I was clicking on the first one, you have to scroll down to find the mp3 or flac download (which will show 10 downloads available).  I don't remember this being the case with all my previous Roadcase purchases, so I found it confusing, but Jeena of Kung Fu helped me through it.

I too picked up all three shows. They sound great. I wasn't sure how Ripple would come out, usually official live recordings are conducted in a manner that reduces crowd noise as much as possible, but the audience sing-a-long comes out fine. Hard to pick a favorite night, so it's great to have all three shows. I kinda look at each night as 1/3 of a really long show [heck, Jeff even suggested as much, ya know, "we'll take a short break, and come back tomorrow night" ;) ]. 

I also don't recall any announcement prior to these shows that Wilco was going to do entirely different setlists each night - if there was, I missed it. I think it was just understood by the audience that the band was aiming for that goal, and I think the band knew that we thought that way too. I love how that was just understood to be the case for this run.

At the time I thought Night 1 had more of a "Night 3" setlist vibe, featuring some relative rarities such as Promising, A Magazine Called Sunset, and Country Disappeared, and a nice run of rockers to end the set and in the first encore.Too Far Apart was certainly an interesting choice for the acoustic encore, and I thought it worked well.

Night 2 was a pretty solid set for a middle night. I wouldn't have guessed Company In My Back as an opener - looks like that was the case a number of times in 2004 but not so much, if at all, recently. Unlike some other bands I know that have a small number of tunes that rotate in and out as show openers, Wilco tend to have more irregularity in their sets. Just about any tune is fair game as an opener. As much as some songs work better in certain spots than in others, I like Wilco's willingness to be random like that. The acoustic encore was great - True Love Will Find You in the End was a first for me, while Be Not So Fearful was only my second time hearing it. I totally dig both tunes and never expected to hear both in the same set. I thought Misunderstood was a great choice for the acoustic set on Night 3 as well. I had a feeling they'd give it that treatment. Ripple was a pleasant and appropriate surprise. What a moment.

It was great to see the "ban" on Wilco (The Album) songs get lifted too. I listened to that album in the car on the way to Night 1, and to have them open with Wilco (the Song) was pretty cool.

It will take me a while to feel like I've fully digested these recordings so I am sure I will keep them in steady rotation for the near future. Usually I like to listen to shows all the way through before switching to something else, but already I've been bouncing around - listen to part of one show on my drive, and part of another on my way home if I'm in the mood for some different tunes. And whatever I put on doesn't feel out of place, thanks to the setlist variety.

I too picked up all three shows. They sound great. I wasn't sure how Ripple would come out, usually official live recordings are conducted in a manner that reduces crowd noise as much as possible, but the audience sing-a-long comes out fine. Hard to pick a favorite night, so it's great to have all three shows. I kinda look at each night as 1/3 of a really long show [heck, Jeff even suggested as much, ya know, "we'll take a short break, and come back tomorrow night" ;) ].

I also don't recall any announcement prior to these shows that Wilco was going to do entirely different setlists each night - if there was, I missed it. I think it was just understood by the audience that the band was aiming for that goal, and I think the band knew that we thought that way too. I love how that was just understood to be the case for this run.

At the time I thought Night 1 had more of a "Night 3" setlist vibe, featuring some relative rarities such as Promising, A Magazine Called Sunset, and Country Disappeared, and a nice run of rockers to end the set and in the first encore.Too Far Apart was certainly an interesting choice for the acoustic encore, and I thought it worked well.

Night 2 was a pretty solid set for a middle night. I wouldn't have guessed Company In My Back as an opener - looks like that was the case a number of times in 2004 but not so much, if at all, recently. Unlike some other bands I know that have a small number of tunes that rotate in and out as show openers, Wilco tend to have more irregularity in their sets. Just about any tune is fair game as an opener. As much as some songs work better in certain spots than in others, I like Wilco's willingness to be random like that. The acoustic encore was great - True Love Will Find You in the End was a first for me, while Be Not So Fearful was only my second time hearing it. I totally dig both tunes and never expected to hear both in the same set. I thought Misunderstood was a great choice for the acoustic set on Night 3 as well. I had a feeling they'd give it that treatment. Ripple was a pleasant and appropriate surprise. What a moment.

It was great to see the "ban" on Wilco (The Album) songs get lifted too. I listened to that album in the car on the way to Night 1, and to have them open with Wilco (the Song) was pretty cool.

It will take me a while to feel like I've fully digested these recordings so I am sure I will keep them in steady rotation for the near future. Usually I like to listen to shows all the way through before switching to something else, but already I've been bouncing around - listen to part of one show on my drive, and part of another on my way home if I'm in the mood for some different tunes. And whatever I put on doesn't feel out of place, thanks to the setlist variety.

Enjoyed reading your post. Got to Night 1 only and agree that it had a closing night of buzz both on stage and in the crowd.

Glad they went for the throat with all those rockers! I liked the call on the opener too.

Next time live for me will be Solid Sound so the recordings along with some You Tube of Port Chester and hopefully Chicago next month will get me by.