Wilco — 7/31/12, North Adams, MA (Hunter Center at MASS MoCA)

I'm sure plenty of folks will chime in soon enough, but for now, here was the complete setlist as played for the MASS MoCA benefit show:

One Sunday Morning>

Poor Places>

Art Of Almost

I Might

She's A Jar

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Born Alone

Muzzle Of Bees

Spiders (Kidsmoke) (acoustic arrangement)

Impossible Germany

Capitol City

Handshake Drugs>

Wishful Thinking

What's The World Got In Store

Whole Love

A Magazine Called Sunset

War On War

Dawned On Me

A Shot in the Arm

---------------------------

Via Chicago

California Stars

Box Full Of Letters

I'm Always In Love

Jesus, etc. (crowd singalong)

Walken

Heavy Metal Drummer>

I'm The Man Who Loves You

I'll chime in, since I can't sleep after a good show. Who is the person who got in for $1???

So nice to be back at MASS MoCA. Very mellow scene inside pre-show. I went in right away and got right up front, but folks were hanging out and eating and wandering the museum. The room didn't fill until almost show time, and even then there was plenty of room to be. Wilco gave the museum the gift of this show, and without an opener we got a 2 hour and almost 25 minute set by my count.

Thanks to the drum tech for getting them to play Magazine ("it's in his contract that we have to play that at least once per tour."). What's the World Got in Store was a nice surprise for me, don't recall seeing that on recent setlists? I thought Tweedy looked very solemn for the first 30-45 minutes. I didn't see him crack a smile until some point during Spiders. Then he started talking and loosened up.

A very fun night in a small room with no more than a 1,000 serious Wilco fans. On to Hartford later today.

Someone who got a printed setlist can confirm, but I think Black Moon was the only scratch off the planned list. Not sure if something else got substituted in its place, but anyway.

It was sort of weird to see the Hunter Center without either the bleacher/stadium seating or full of rows of chairs (like when it was used for the comedy sets during Solid Sound). It seemed a lot smaller than I thought, sort of like a college's multi-purpose room if that helps anybody get a better sense. But it sure was LOUD in there, at least where I was standing; I think Jeff even said something to that effect at some point.

I wonder how well the band was able to hear one another on stage — I'm guessing not very — and also wonder if that had any bearing on Jeff and Co. not doing some of the "real rockers" (though they certainly played some rocking songs).

I didn't notice the show being any louder than usual, But I was right up front dead center on the rail (my favorite place) so my perspective was limited. Actually the sound levels and the mix sounded perfect to me.

The setlist had so many of my favorite, somewhat rare songs (Magazine, Wishful Thinking, She's a Jar) that it will be one for the memory books for me, for sure.

And the crowd was so happy and responsive. Before the show everyone where I was standing was exchanging stories about the first time they've seen Wilco, telling tales about North Adams (we had some very sweet and enthusiastic locals), buying each other beers, etc. There was just a lot of positive energy coming from the crowd, and I felt it from the stage as well.

Oh, and Jeff's holding on to the hat but he finally ditched the jacket, at least for this show. Wonder what was up with his bandaged left wrist, though.

The whole experience was glorious. So glad I decided to come.

It was sort of weird to see the Hunter Center without either the bleacher/stadium seating or full of rows of chairs (like when it was used for the comedy sets during Solid Sound). It seemed a lot smaller than I thought, sort of like a college's multi-purpose room if that helps anybody get a better sense. But it sure was LOUD in there, at least where I was standing; I think Jeff even said something to that effect at some point.

I wonder how well the band was able to hear one another on stage — I'm guessing not very — and also wonder if that had any bearing on Jeff and Co. not doing some of the "real rockers" (though they certainly played some rocking songs).

We were joking Pre-show that we felt like we were in a high school gym for a Friday night battle of the bands. Then we decided that our high school gym was bigger. I didn't notice any visible evidence that the band had trouble hearing each other.

Someone who got a printed setlist can confirm, but I think Black Moon was the only scratch off the planned list. Not sure if something else got substituted in its place, but anyway.

It seemed loud to me too... although in Essex Junction there was some ridiculously loud bass during Art of Almost that you could feel all through your body... and it wasn't as intense last night. There was a father and young son near me and they were covering their ears a lot, which I found amusing

It seemed loud to me too... although in Essex Junction there was some ridiculously loud bass during Art of Almost that you could feel all through your body... and it wasn't as intense last night. There was a father and young son near me and they were covering their ears a lot, which I found amusing

I was right down front in front of John and it was definitely not ear covering loud there. But I was probably missing most of the volume coming from the side stage pa's.

Last night was exactly what I hoped it would be. I was against the rail, between John and Pat's mic, and couldn't have been happier. I thought the latter part of the setlist was a bit more exciting and was particularly excited for "Wishful Thinking." Having only seen the Newport show on this leg of the tour, the band seemed way more excited. See you all at SSF3.

They seemed tired and road-weary to me last night. Not a knock on them - it was still a tight, professional show, but a band can't be "on" every night of a tour and I just wasn't feeling this one. The sound didn't help - the bass was mushy, and treble was bit distorted/harsh sounding.

It could also be that I was tired, depressed over the loss of Bill Doss, and have reached my personal live Wilco saturation after ~10 shows. And a "screw you" to the girl who repeatedly screamed as loud and high as she could, right in my ear. Yelling is fine, but unnecessarily damaging someone's hearing is incredibly selfish. Seeing Lightning Bolt several times was better for my ears than that.

They seemed tired and road-weary to me last night. Not a knock on them - it was still a tight, professional show, but a band can't be "on" every night of a tour and I just wasn't feeling this one. The sound didn't help - the bass was mushy, and treble was bit distorted/harsh sounding.

I was thinking the same for the first 45 minutes or so, but then I thought the band lightened up and energized. Certainly by the last segment of the main set, John, Nels and Mikael were flying all over the place.

I'm not so sure I like having One Sunday Morning as a show opener. Love the song, totally. But it's such a quiet, serious song, and from close observation last night it looked like it requires every bit of concentration Tweedy can muster, that it seemed to set too "tight" a tone for the beginning of the show. But, it could have been road weariness (though they were off the night before), what do I know anyway.

I'm pretty sure Black Moon was the only scratch from the printed setlist. I don't think the show was too loud -- the PA system that was used was by far the smallest of the tour. I recorded the show (not NYCTaper quality, but pretty good), and will provide links once I get it posted. Please be patient, however -- it's time consuming and could take me a little while.

After the barn burner Sunday night ,opening with One Sunday Morning did not surprise me at all. I was hoping for a different paced show (and 12 songs not played in Essex Jct was a nice bonus) and I was not disappointed in the least.

(If anyone picked up an extra Essex poster I would be interested in buying it from you.......talking with friends walking out and spaced on stopping at the merch table)

After the barn burner Sunday night ,opening with One Sunday Morning did not surprise me at all. I was hoping for a different paced show (and 12 songs not played in Essex Jct was a nice bonus) and I was not disappointed in the least.

(If anyone picked up an extra Essex poster I would be interested in buying it from you.......talking with friends walking out and spaced on stopping at the merch table)

I feel the exact same way... I loved VT but I liked the different vibe of Mass MoCA as well

I got the set list and Black Moon was the only scratch. The sound where I was, front left, was REALLY loud! I left with my ears ringing for a good long time. At first I was wishing I had brought ear plugs (haven't felt that way in years) but I settled into it and it became manageable. All in all a good solid show (as always). Although, I have to admit I was hoping for more of a Terminal 5-style setlist with lots of rarities and hardcore fan fans for the obviously die-hard crowd...I mean who else bids on a Wilco show and travels hundreds of miles for it :)