Presidential Race (Respector Edition)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Chris Christie were actually telling the truth (except for his blatent union bashing) the speach his speech wasn't too bad. If only we were ALL going to share the pain. The real Republican plan doesn't nearly share the pain.

LouieB

An interest TED talk about the myth of lower taxes on the rich and job creation. Which is as we all have acknowledged is the central issue in the campaign, how to grow the economy.

The Ryan budget sees it as decreasing taxes on the rich (so they can create jobs) and Obama wants to tax the rich to pay for a stronger middle class.

Okay, so the myth of lower taxes on the rich is the central issue of this election. Clearly it is a myth in some respects, but the outcome of this myth isn't the real issue at all. I have come to the conclustion (not that unlike all the conspiricies that Sparky is always bringing up) that the real issue IS lower taxes so that the so called job creaters become happy and finally loosen their purse strings and start hiring people and finally people will have money to spend on the goods and services and the economy will finally get going. In this scenario the rich are pissed off that they have to pay any taxes and are in a snit that their capital gains and shit are taxed and just aren't in the mood to hire, plus until regulations disappears under a Romney/Ryan administration they can't do whatever the hell they want. Throw in the fact that corporate profits matter more than anything so that stock holders get some dough and the stock market goes up, most of what everyone talks about is based on everyone's desire to make the most of their own self interest.

If the rich were really patriotic (which they aren't) it wouldn't matter who the fuck was in office. They would start spending some of the cash they have held in reserve, put some folks to work, which primes the pump of everyone's ability to buy goods and services and the economy gets moving again.

You can believe this or the Book of Mormon, but either way it isn't based on much reality unless you believe.

LouieB

If the rich were really patriotic (which they aren't) it wouldn't matter who the fuck was in office. They would start spending some of the cash they have held in reserve, put some folks to work, which primes the pump of everyone's ability to buy goods and services and the economy gets moving again.

You can believe this or the Book of Mormon, but either way it isn't based on much reality unless you believe.

What?

How so?

1. Chris Christie's self aggrandizing speech (http://www.latimes.c...0,6024565.story)

2. The disingenuous of Chris Christie's shared sacrifice message (You are not sharing the sacrifice if the richest get tax breaks while the middle class and poor get programs cut)

3. The Ron Paul debacle (http://blog.chron.co...amed-at-romney/ and http://www.thenation...ses-back-romney)

4. A convention speaker and small business owner saying how the only reason he is still in business is because of the government (http://thinkprogress...acts/?mobile=nc)

5. There is also a mess of stuff in this interview with John Nichols audio file: http://ia601209.us.archive.org/16/items/JohnNichols-08-29-12/nichols082912.mp3

6. Corporate influence on display at the convention (http://pac.progressivesunited.org/blog/video-corporate-love-at-gop-convention)

Granted I am looking at this with my blue colored glasses. But if I can flip the question around to you, what about last night and tonight wasn't a mess? Or what would you consider a success?

When did left become blue and right become red?

LouieB

Is this going to be a joke, Lou? If so, I'll bite - When?

I haven't caught any of the Convention - typically they are always a bit of mess (both parties).

I must admit the whole Costco/Romney bit is pretty funny.

Is this going to be a joke, Lou? If so, I'll bite - When?

I wish there was a joke. I am merely refering to the fact that leftists used to be called pinkos or reds, that's all.

LouieB

Interesting, according to wikipedia it was coined by Tim Russert during the 2000 election. I thought it went a lot further back.

I knew it was pretty recent. I suspect Tim did this because it was a way to keep the colors from being attached to the old dicotomy. Red and blue are easy colors to decern. It could have been green and purple I guess.

LouieB

Christ.

I think we have had this argument before, so if I may this is how I sum up the two sides of this debate.

1. Business have more cash on hand and corporate profits are larger than any time in history. Because of this some think it is the business responsibility to hire workers.

2. Some think that businesses should have to hire just for the sake of hiring. Especially if there is no need, either because of advancement in technology or demand.

So isn't this an argument for the Dem's economic plan? Increase the taxes on the wealthiest to pay for tax breaks on the middle class and continue programs to help the poor? So the demand is up, so the business have to hire. Because Jules as you pointed out business will not hire if they don't have to.

The only way to spur the economy is to get demand up. If you can show me how to do that with tax breaks for the rich, I would love to see it.

Jon Stewart on the current psychology of the GOP

"A party wide persecution complex, where any reference to the collective good is somehow taken as a denigration of an individual's achievement; you did build that.

A moral code that equates parental financial assistance with moxy and entrepreneurship, while equating government financial assistance with lack of character and way-of-life destroying dependency; yes, you did build that."

That's all fine. What Lou posted made no sense.

Actually after last night's speech by Ryan it makes more sense than ever. Tell me Jules, in all seriousness, how are R&R going to create 12 million private sector jobs? How does the government do that? They don't. Only the private sector can do that. (The government can create public sector jobs or sponsor projects that employ businesses that hire private sector folks),.

I just don't see how what I said is so far fetched. Until the private sector gets off its ass and hires more people what can any government person do to make the private sector create jobs unless the government supplies the money?

The Republicans have yet to say how this is going to happen. it is a whole lot of BS from either party really. Demand must be up for goods and services on its own, or the govenment must stimulate it. Or else the private sector has to decide that spending a bit of its own reserves to get the economy moving is the only solution.

I have yet to understand what government regulation is holding back any business from hiring people? They aren't hiring people because the bottom line isn't there, not the government stopping them. So tell me, since Ryan won't: what are these guys going to do to creat 12 million private sector jobs?

I'm waiting!!!!

LouieB

LouieB why would you be waiting for any type of explanation of how they are going to create jobs? Nearly every thing Paul Ryan has said has been a lie. Mitt Romney is no better.

Last night Paul Ryan looked straight at American and with his big dreamy eyes, lied.

I am sorry BleedOrange if I am getting too whining for you and I don't understand the inner workings of American politics. But he lied, and the GOP/TEA party ate that shit up with smiles on their faces. He misrepresented not only Obama's record, but the record of GWB, and his own. There was no nuance, he straight up lied.

How can anyone believe or trust anything those men say? Ridiculous.