Presidential Race (Respector Edition)

There's no trap being set, this isn't part of some brilliant strategy by Obama... Romney was simply more effective last night. I don't happen to think it was as bad as some are making it out to be, but let's see what happens in the polls. I seem to recall that the consensus in 2004 was that Kerry won all of the debates; didn't seem to help him much in the end.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romney seemed to understand some specifics that Obama did not dismiss. Such as Dodd-Frank, I thought his argument concerning this showed some insight I had not heard before. Can anyone dispute or confirm what Romney said?

Romeny looked like he wanted to be president so badly he was ready to burst (and say about anything he could to get there) and Obama looked like he was already President and a bit tired. It all sounded a bit too much like stump speeches to me. No game changers that's for sure.

LouieB

Bingo. Romney was well rehearsed, to be sure, but he seemed SO tense. He just comes off as a man so desperate to win. Unfortunately all the fact-checking in the world does little anymore. A good majority of people (not US, of course!) just don't care about facts - the Faux News influence, if you will.

Say what?

Really?

Now I've heard it all.

So you think the Obama camp let him just go in all sleepy and wing it? You are either very naive, or you have no idea how political campaigns work.

There's no trap being set, this isn't part of some brilliant strategy by Obama... Romney was simply more effective last night. I don't happen to think it was as bad as some are making it out to be, but let's see what happens in the polls. I seem to recall that the consensus in 2004 was that Kerry won all of the debates; didn't seem to help him much in the end.

Whether or not it's brilliant I can't say, but of course it is part of their strategy. Everything they do is part of their strategy. Obama should have been sharper and more alert, but it looks pretty clear that last night was an attempt to let Romney hang himself with his own rope.

So you think the Obama camp let him just go in all sleepy and wing it? You are either very naive, or you have no idea how political campaigns work.

Maybe he just had a bad day or was un-prepared or wrongly prepared? The thought that he would intentionally "lose" a debate is ridiculous.

Whether or not it's brilliant I can't say, but of course it is part of their strategy. Everything they do is part of their strategy. Obama should have been sharper and more alert, but it looks pretty clear that last night was an attempt to let Romney hang himself with his own rope.

Keep telling yourself that.

Maybe he just had a bad day or was un-prepared or wrongly prepared? The thought that he would intentionally "lose" a debate is ridiculous.

I never said he intentionally lost.

How Obama’s debate strategy bombed

Multiple party strategists privately attributed Obama’s demeanor to an ailment that frequently affects incumbents: a fear of appearing too aggressive and risking a larger-scale misstep that could transform the campaign. Projecting a calm, reasonable – some said “presidential” – demeanor was the strategy during Obama’s debate-prep sessions outside of Las Vegas.

Obama's obviously not the huge sports fan he claims to be -- everyone knows that playing prevent defense is about the worst way to secure victory.

It's bullshit.

That is a rude and detailess rebuttal. Stick your neck out and back your opinion up please. This is the respector edition. You can open a 'play the dozens' edition if you like elsewhere, but it will likely be closed.

Debates don't matter anyway, right? Besides, Obama was obviously stoned last night. He was going for the "Colorado" vote. Well played, dude. well played.

Hahaha yes!

Can you have a telepromp at a debate? (tongue/cheek)

Well see in two weeks. I'll bet you'll be nowhere to be found if I turn out to be right.

He had a bad day, and will be better. I don't see what that will prove.

He had a bad day, and will be better. I don't see what that will prove.

Obama is already doing exactly what I said his strategy was designed to do. He let Romney run his mouth, and now Obama is using Romney's words against him.