Presidential Race (Respector Edition)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for answering for me Kevin, because I am really trying not to talk to Sparky anymore. Even the terms he uses are deceiving. He wants free markets, but only wants to talk about the money supply, not actual markets, which are pretty darn free. I keep trying to figure out what else he wants to get rid of in the federal government, which he hates so much, besides the fed. Ron Paul and other liberartians have been pretty specific about getting rid of some of the departments, such as education, energy, etc. I just wonder if he wants to dump EPA, HHS, the EEOC, the FDIC, Agriculture, the NLRB, and some of the others along with the Fed. He still hasn't actually answered my question about whether he is okay with losing everything in a serious downturn brought on by lack of oversight or regulation by the federal government. It has happened in the past and that is why the Fed and Glass Steigle (already gone) and other financial regulation was created, not because some neferious federal government employee or the President though, let's keep people from doing what they want.. Many of the regulatory agencies that we have were in response to crises in the past, so dumping them could easily (as we have seen) create chaos if dismantled. He won't say how he feels about NAFTA and needing tarifs and enforcing trade equity etc. either. Simply talking about the money markets isn't really about free markets at all. The markets function as they always do (stock market, commondity exchange, global trade, your local businesses, etc.)

Clearly the federal government can't do everything, but I wonder about them doing NOTHING. How crazy would that be? He wants to know what I am in favor of? I am in favor of reasonable regulations to keep our economy and our society safe and equitable and out of the hands of the private sector running amuck. Other than that everyone can do whatever they want so far as I am concerned.

LouieB

Thank you for mentioning Glass-Steigle.

^ wrong thread or a delightfully random commentary on this one?

Commentary on gettin' in line with your party line.

Gooba gabba... one of us.

Yeah I don't think that worked well for Obama.

Perhaps it was a bit too snotty. I thought what he said after it was more potent.

And so the question is not a game of Battleship where we're counting ships. It's it's what are our capabilities.

And so when I sit down with the secretary of the Navy and the Joint Chiefs of Staff, we determine how are we going to be best able to meet all of our defense needs in a way that also keeps faith with our troops, that also makes sure that our veterans have the kind of support that they need when they come home. And that is not reflected in the kind of budget that you're putting forward, because it just don't work.

Yeah I don't think that worked well for Obama.

It might not have, which is crazy. I prefer the candidate that points out incorrect, inane, irrelevant, etc. things that the other candidate says. I don't see it as elitist, snotty, etc. You should call the other guy on their bullshit in a clear, loud, direct, intelligent and witty manner. I want the smartest guy in the room as president. To compare the Navy of almost 100 years ago with the Navy of today is irrelevant and that needs to be pointed out because the average American is stupid and ignorant and would likely think, "Yeah! Why we have less ships than 1917? We should have more" without the "horses and bayonets" comment. It is a sad commentary that some citizens' probably didn't vote for Gore because he rolled his eyes and sighed at stupid shit that George W. said during their debates. "Gee, he should be respectful". Why? Because it makes Joe Bob watching at home feel bad about his own lack of knowledge and logic? It is a debate. Mock the moron if he/she says something inane. Bill Maher is right about Americans. Collectively, we are idiots.

Me too.

Jules, I know that I have said this before but I'll try again... no bullshit, no baiting, no chain pulling, okay? Please? You honestly, sincerely believe that Mitt Romney is smarter than Barack Obama? In a no-holds barred, old school debate where the goal is to show the other guy to be lacking and with no concerns about how the Great Unwashed might perceive you, the President would make Mitt Romney look the fool. Regardless of who you support issue-wise, it is true. The simplest evidence? He is smart enough to know that any mythology forbidding beer is irrational.

George W. was dumb. Not every Republican is dumb. Mitt certainly had some help from his dad, but one doesn't build up a business reputation like his and get elected as the Republican governor of Maasachusetts by being anything less than smart as a tack. Right now, he's trying to get elected by appealing to the base and draw in lots of independents and moderates, so he often falters or waffles in his statements. Obama is very smart, but I don't think it's the slam dunk you think it is.

Sorry for answering before Jules.

I agree that George W. was/is dumb, that not every Republican is dumb and that Mitt Romney isn't dumb and that it would not be a slam dunk intellectual rogering (though a right rogering it would be). It was hyperbole for me to say "the President would make Mitt Romney look the fool". What I meant was that due to this: "Right now, he's trying to get elected by appealing to the base and draw in lots of independents and moderates, so he often falters or waffles in his statements.", it would be easy for the President to point out Romney's incoherence. The President is also intelligent enough to not allow Romney to weasel out of facing the fact that he says whatever is he (Romney) thinks is necessary to win and making him look foolish in that regard. The only thing keeping the President from doing so is the Fear Of A Dumb Planet (losing votes because Mr. and Mrs. Average Yahoo would think he's mean, read uppity black guy).

Yeah what the fuck?

I agree that George W. was/is dumb, that not every Republican is dumb and that Mitt Romney isn't dumb and that it would not be a slam dunk intellectual rogering (though a right rogering it would be). It was hyperbole for me to say "the President would make Mitt Romney look the fool". What I meant was that due to this: "Right now, he's trying to get elected by appealing to the base and draw in lots of independents and moderates, so he often falters or waffles in his statements.", it would be easy for the President to point out Romney's incoherence. The President is also intelligent enough to not allow Romney to weasel out of facing the fact that he says whatever is he (Romney) thinks is necessary to win and making him look foolish in that regard. The only thing keeping the President from doing so is the Fear Of A Dumb Planet (losing votes because Mr. and Mrs. Average Yahoo would think he's mean, read uppity black guy).

If you really believe all this crap, I have something to sell you.

Yeah what the fuck?

If you really believe all this crap, I have something to sell you.

and i promise, rilly, to tell ya all about .

once elected, sweetheart.

i know yewl luv it.

rilly.