A cool story but supposedly not true...

On July 20, 1969, commander of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module, Neil Armstrong was the first person to set foot on the moon. His first words after stepping on the moon, "That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind", were televised to Earth and heard by millions. But just before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark:

"Good luck, Mr. Gorsky." Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck Mr. Gorsky" statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled. On July 5, 1995, in Tampa Bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

In 1938 when he was a kid in a small Midwest town, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball, which landed in his neighbor’s yard by the bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. "Sex! You want sex?! You’ll get sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

Sparky, I'd love for that story to be true! I guess only Neil knows. :lol

I remember so well watching the grainy footage of Neil's first steps on the first surface beyond the earth...it was mind-boggling to consider, and to watch. Afterward, we went out into the street in front of our house, where we could see the moon well, and just stared up at it, knowing that at that very moment, humans were on it. A lot of the neighbors were outside looking up, too.

Rest in peace, Neil. What a life!

This is quotes from one of my favorite facebook sites, "I fucking love science". They hit the nail on the head.

I'm sure that like me, you were all shocked to hear of the death of Neil Armstrong. If I'm honest, I was completely flabbergasted in spite of his age and recent heart surgery.

It was not simply the death of someone famous, or the death of

someone we all admired. It was the death of someone who made history. The death of someone whose name will still be taught in a thousand years. How many people can say that?

I've spent the last hour putting together a long post all about his life. But to be honest, if you want to know where he went to college and his mothers maiden name you can Wikipedia him. That doesn't matter. What matters is that a man who inspired millions of people, myself included, died today.

Neil lived a long and happy life. In spite my my initial tears, I won't be mourning him. I'll just be grateful and happy that such a brave, good man ever existed and that he lived such a long happy life - and had the opportunity to change history.

I will leave you with two quotes. The first is from his family, who released this statement:

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

And the second is from Neil himself.

"I think we're going to the moon because it's in the nature of the human being to face challenges. It's by the nature of his deep inner soul... we're required to do these things just as salmon swim upstream."

RIP Neil. You changed the world.

jesus, from the post title i thought Bill Lee had died.

Same here Just heard Bill Lee Interviewed last week on Johnny Pesky passing.

Back on Topic.

I was a kid and my parents allowed us to watch as much as was available of those Grainy Pics of the Moon Landing & Walk

It totally influenced me as a kid in Dorchester MA

As I type this some decades since, I sit next to a Very Nice Meade Telescope.

So Thanks for your inspiration Neil Armstrong!

(I will wink at the Moon tonight) RIP .

Fitting that there is a Blue Moon on the day of his memorial...