Best "comeback" albums

The band doesn't have to have been broken up, per se. Maybe just dormant, or they had released a bunch of crap for a while, and then:

BAM!

Here comes a truly great record out of nowhere!

So, what comes to mind for you? I can think of three off-hand:

MI0002103212.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

12 years after their last release as a trio, 15 years after their last really good release, and more than 28 years since their "masterpiece" and debut, the put out this album, which may just be their NEW masterpiece! Such a welcome and unexpected piece of excellence. Always good to hear from the Sisters Roche, but this is extra super good to hear.

MI0002516280.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

THey had been sucking since 1987 (I never liked anything after Pyromania), so this comeback was particularly unexpected. And, as it was an album of nothing but covers, it's not a typical comeback either. But this is just the sound of a great rock band playing the songs that they've loved since they were kids. So good.

MI0003238060.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

And, after a failed comeback a few years prior, The Bangles nailed it last year with this one! Back to writing their own songs and choosing their own covers, they got all their chops back together when they got into the studio with Matthew Sweet.

I was thinking about Television's 1992 comeback record, but while it was good, it doesn't deserve to be called "great", I don't think.

Oh, and another great comeback from 2007 (The Roches was '07, too):

MI0001720343.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Back with a vengance!!!

Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind

I thought he was all washed up after the run of Empire Burlesque (1985) through World Gone Wrong (1993) [with the exception of the quite good Oh Mercy (1989) in the middle of that run of relatively unispired stuff) and then in 1997 Time Out Of Mind came out and halle-fucking-lujah, Dylan's back!!! with a work that to me rivals the best stuff he ever did.

Graceland - Paul Simon

Probably the hardest one to argue with. Ever.

Rolling Stones-Some Girls

As great as Some Girls is, the immediate predecessors to Some Girls ( Goat's Head Soup, Black and Blue, It's Only Rock & Roll) were all decent albums, imo....Not great, but not clunkers, either.

You'd be hard pressed to find 2 better answers than The Pretenders - Learning To Crawl and AC/DC - Back In Black. It's safe to even suggest that Chrissie Hynde still has another comeback in her somewhere.

Of course, these represent a comeback from devastating losses within the band as opposed to a run of stinkers. For that, I agree with the Dylan mentioned before and add Blood On The Tracks.