The first album I ever picked up turns 25 tomorrow..

The summer that came out, we were staying in a small town in the Santa Cruz mountains. My older sister, who turned a cool 14 that summer, wanted this album for her birthday, so my dad drove her into town to the tiny hippie record store. She wanted it on cassette (no record player in the country!), but they only had vinyl, so the owner told them to come back the next day. When they went back, he'd taped the album and hand-written the label, and we listened to that tape all the rest of that summer. :wub

That is a truly beautiful story.

First ones bought for me- "The Monkees Greatest Hits" & "Headquarters" by The Monkees...from my mom- we went to W.T. Grant's to get them...it was '67, or '68...I was born in April 1964.

Then I was given "Rubber Soul" (U.S. version & I inherited the version my mom had bought for my cousins & left it at my grandma's so they had something to listen to at her house), & I spent my allowance savings on "Revolver" (U.S.), again in '67, or '68, just a couple of months after The Monkees albums...once again from W.T. Grants...

Monkees Headquarters was my first and I bought it at a WT Grant store too! Was about 10

Monkees Headquarters was my first and I bought it at a WT Grant store too! Was about 10

That was the first vinyl I ever heard. I found it in a stash of my parents' records, and it was the only thing I recognized.

--Mike

First CD and I'm pretty sure first music that I bought and paid for myself was:

Stone Temple Pilots - Purple

My parents bought me tapes over the years though. I had several NKOTB, MC Hammer, C&C Music Factory, Ghostbusters/La Bamba Soundtracks, etc.

STP Purple was also the first 'rock' album I got. Before that it was the stuff listed above like mainstream pop and rap.

I believe the first album I purchased was Shut up and Dance by Paula Abdul (on cassette). Funny thing is, I just googled it and found out it was actually a remix EP. I had no idea.

I had some Janet Jackson and New Kids on the Block before that, but I think my parents bought those for me.

The first CD I purchased was probably the soundtrack for a musical or Disney movie.

It seems that many of us have come a long, long way.