favorite rhythm guitarist

I think I'd have to vote for Keith Richards.

with most rhythm players I can come decently close to covering/emulating for a bit, but there are some Keith parts--especially on acoustic--that no matter what I do I can't catch. he just has an attack and a timing that I can't duplicate. things like Let It Bleed, Sweet Virginia, Angie, there are scores of examples.

also a big fan of Michael Timmins on The Trinity Session and The Caution Horses.

Jeff would be in the top 5 for so many amazing tones and constant reinvention through alternate tunings, capo placements, and finding the right guitar parts for the right songs.

my vote to goes to the human riff, keef. While Pete cetainly qualifies on soo many songs ( I can't explain, A quick one, long live rock ) but is a one guitar show.

Keith has backed leads of Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood.

made a career of rhythm.

bob weir quialifies !

Another vote for Mr. Keith RIchards.

I agree, I think in order to be a truly great rhythm guitarist , he or she needs another guitarist to "weave" with. Of course one guitarist can create that in the studio and Pete is great at that. Oh hell, Pete is a great rhythm guitarist, too. Of course, Weir would be my 2nd favorite.

In order:

Keith Richards

Pete Townshend

Joe Strummer

Steve Cropper

BUT... unconventionally:

Jimi Hendrix

He played rhythm and lead simultaneously, remember. "Crosstown Traffic" and "Little Wing" are perfect examples.

bobby weir-noond plays like him. so angular and all those inverted chords. it's a wonder how the grateful dead ever played with out falling apart. none ever played the root note. amazing.

poncho sampedro-the dude is the perfect foil for neil young. he mainly plays chords, but just loves every strum. he also does somer really cool little licks once in a while.

I love the rhythm guitar in Television. I don't know which one of them is playing at any given time, or if it's both of them playing rhythm together.

They both play rhythm and lead at any given time.

And I totally agree. The title track from "Marquee Moon" blows my mind with the guitar interplay on there.