Wilco burnout???

I hate to admit this, but, here it goes. For the past two months or more I haven't listened to any Wilco music when I put music on my iPod during my daily walks or when I'm hanging around the house on the weekend. I even find myself purposely not putting Wilco CDs on in the car when traveling. Just don't care to hear them. I think I've OD'ed on them the past five years or so. Twenty six concerts and seemingly endless periods of almost always playing their music has taken its toll on me. I'd much rather listen to Dr. Dog, Delta Spirit, Band of Horses, Deer Tick, Dawes or someone else's music than Wilco. Yeah, I still think they are the best contemporary band out there but I think I've reached the saturation point I'm afraid. I know there was a thread about this a few months ago, but I didn't feel like searching for it. I'm sure this will pass but I'm not feeling it. Probably a good thing. Finding some good music I've ignored the past few years. I've never felt this way about the Beatles or Neil Young or some of my other music compulsions. I could put the Beatles on any time and I would enjoy it. Wilco to me now is, can I say it, boring. Any thoughts or similar experiences out there in Wilco land?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

Ditto on this. I've seen the band 5 times this year and I'm going for #6 in Vail, CO in December. I'm just as excited to go to that show as I was to go the first show I saw in San Diego back in January.

I'm sorry for your loss (of interest).

Sorry to hear that.

Take a break.( Nothing wrong with taking a break).

Listen to The Beatles. (Beatles are good)

Clear your mind. Come back new.

Wilco is good music. Wilco will always be good music!

i've been there. i never listen to being there or summer teeth anymore. the whole love really didn't blow me away. i want to revisit AGIB in the near future, but i know what you're saying. there are a few songs by my favorite bands i can always hear, but it comes in phases. i haven't listened to the beatles in 5 years. i felt so out of it with all the remaster buzz. neil young is also a favorite, but i'm a bit tired of his constant output that is less than mediocre.

the only band i could ever see several times a tour is neil young acoustic. even that might get boring. the grateful dead...that's another story. i saw wilco last fall and it was great, but once per record cycle is fine for me. i sure as hell do not need to hear Shot In The Arm live again.

I hit a burnout period every 6 months or so. Just happens. Often it is a result of wanting to listen to a genre or style of music that isn't consistently presented in Wilco's catalog. So I usually don't gravitate toward music similar to Wilco (i.e., The Band, Neil Young, etc.) when I hit the burnout stage, but rather R&B, soul, pop, or something like that. My recent cycle this past year has been

Wilco >> burnout after a period >> Paul Simon >> R.E.M. >> Coldplay >> Van Morrison >> The Head and the Heart >> The Lumineers >> ???

I don't know that I ever burnout from listening to Wilco because I don't listen that much to begin with. Most of my time is spent listening to new music. Every so often, I'll go back and revisit one of my favorites, including Wilco. But there is just too much good music out there to waste so much time listening to just one band.

I tend to listen to my entire catalog on shuffle 75-80% of the time, and then when a track plays that particularly catches my attention, I'll play the album in its entirety. That, plus the occasional new album every few weeks or so seems to keep everything feeling fresh and new.

I'll burn out on anything if I listen to it too much. That is why I make a concerted effort to mix it up when listening to music. I re-sync and change around what's on my (8 GB) iPod every week or two and make it a point to pull out CDs that I haven't listened to in a while (and leave those that I have listened to recently in the stacks for a little bit).

Although I do admit, that I tend to listen to my new purchases a bit more frequently.

And yes, I have burnt out on Wilco at times. But I do still come back to them and am now able to enjoy them again when I do come back.

I was burned out after WTA came out. I'll occasionally throw on some YHF, ST or BT, or even a live show, but that's a rare thing.

I never ever burn out on the good ol' GD.

I have felt close to saturation lately, after 3 shows in a row this summer and a years-long stretch of listening to mostly Wilco. However, I had some down time yesterday and was cleaning the kitchen and decided to check out the Tipitina's show that's streaming in the roadcase. It's from 2008, the show that was included in the Ashes DVD. Good god, that show chewed me up and spit me out! It started out as a slow burn (Was I in Your Dreams, Pieholden Suite) and closed out with like 20 barn burners. I was utterly spent by the end and my kitchen was sparkling!

Won't need to hear any Wilco for a while, after that. If I'm smart I'll go on hiatus til next summer, and when Solid Sound comes around it'll be like Christmas Day!

I worry about reaching Wilco saturation as well, but it hasn't happened yet. In fact, I get a little depressed after the shows, like I'm going through Wilco withdrawal. Is that normal? I hope so.

I go through near-burnout phases, at which point I have to put Wilco away for a spell. As much as I love YHF, I came so dangerously close to burning out on it years ago that I can rarely listen to it anymore. I've done that with a few other albums from other bands over the years, and even though I have fond memories of them, I can't bring them out ever.

A few weeks or months ago (it all blurs together) I rambled on in some thread here about my long hiatis from Wilco. When I did finally cave in and come back, it was dizzifyingly sweet after such a long time.

How's this for obsessed: Last week, I went on a road trip for work and took my own car, with its 6-CD player. I decided to listen to a book on CD, since I don't get much time to read for fun lately. As I was taking out my music CDs so I wouldn't have to fumble with each book CD while flying down the Interstate, one that popped out was yellow. Yellow? I didn't recognize it at first. Then I realized it was TWL. It had been in my CD player for so long I didn't even recall what it looked like. It had been in that same slot for one year. One full year. I didn't listen to it daily, not even weekly, but still--! A year!

hakuna matada.

season cycles and such- i think we all go through it, and if it's good (grrrreat), come back 'round.

I regularly shapeshift in and out out of genres/ artists/ eras/ wives/ personalities...

oops strikethat last one(or 2,).

though i keep coming back to my faves, wilco, gd, built to spill, sybil.

kinda like that right?

kudos for having the stones to raise the issue.

I burn out on Wilco...but never this place.

Go Figure