Wilco burnout???

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try getting a sitter for the night and have a Wilco date night. Grab a movie, maybe some wine, and prepare Wilco a nice candlelight dinner. Send Wilco a no-reason, just-because-I-love-you text.. Bonus points if you make it a little naughty. Just a couple ideas for finding that spark again..

Try getting a sitter for the night and have a Wilco date night. Grab a movie, maybe some wine, and prepare Wilco a nice candlelight dinner. Send Wilco a no-reason, just-because-I-love-you text.. Bonus points if you make it a little naughty. Just a couple ideas for finding that spark again..

i have this vision of a candle lit dinner with a copy of AGIB on one chair.

I had an even more disturbing visual: all the guys from Wilco sitting around the table with this one random person. Awkward! :lol

After going through some major Wilco marathons over the past ten years, I reached something of a saturation point myself. Now I listen to them when I am in the mood, like most of my ever-expanding music collection, but when I do, it's usually just for a couple of hours. I may never hit the intensity of my 2001-2003 phase, but there are some great memories there. The advice from i'm only sleeping is spot on.

And by the way, I still consider them to be the best American band out there touring today.

I have felt close to saturation lately, after 3 shows in a row this summer and a years-long stretch of listening to mostly Wilco. However, I had some down time yesterday and was cleaning the kitchen and decided to check out the Tipitina's show that's streaming in the roadcase. It's from 2008, the show that was included in the Ashes DVD. Good god, that show chewed me up and spit me out! It started out as a slow burn (Was I in Your Dreams, Pieholden Suite) and closed out with like 20 barn burners. I was utterly spent by the end and my kitchen was sparkling!

Won't need to hear any Wilco for a while, after that. If I'm smart I'll go on hiatus til next summer, and when Solid Sound comes around it'll be like Christmas Day!

I was on the front row for with a dear friend for that show. As good as live music gets. Both nights were great.

I actually think Phish is pretty fresh and at the top of their game right now but i know that makes me a minority round here

I have felt close to saturation lately, after 3 shows in a row this summer and a years-long stretch of listening to mostly Wilco. However, I had some down time yesterday and was cleaning the kitchen and decided to check out the Tipitina's show that's streaming in the roadcase. It's from 2008, the show that was included in the Ashes DVD. Good god, that show chewed me up and spit me out! It started out as a slow burn (Was I in Your Dreams, Pieholden Suite) and closed out with like 20 barn burners. I was utterly spent by the end and my kitchen was sparkling!

Thanks for reminding me of this show. Personally, I think Wilco peaked as a live band in 2008. The period documented in the Ashes DVD is what got me into Wilco and I don't imagine getting tired of watching it or listening to those shows.

What I did get a bit burned out on is seeing too many shows this past tour. Wilco does a reasonably good and better than most job of mixing it up night to night, but still too much repetition from show to show for me not to get a bit bored after my 8th show of the year. The special ones still standout, but the ordinary ones are more forgettable to me. I'll look forward to a bit of a break from seeing them live and hope they and I will come back fresh.

I had an even more disturbing visual: all the guys from Wilco sitting around the table with this one random person. Awkward! :lol

After going through some major Wilco marathons over the past ten years, I reached something of a saturation point myself. Now I listen to them when I am in the mood, like most of my ever-expanding music collection, but when I do, it's usually just for a couple of hours. I may never hit the intensity of my 2001-2003 phase, but there are some great memories there. The advice from i'm only sleeping is spot on.

And by the way, I still consider them to be the best American band out there touring today.

My feelings exactly.

for me this happens with all my favorite bands at some point or another.. my morning jacket, pearl jam, the beatles, neil young and wilco or go in a out of favor depending on what I feel like listening.. the bootlegs are a sure fire way to get wilco burnout :D

the bootlegs are a sure fire way to get wilco burnout :D

You know, this is so true. A band--any band--that tours a lot is bound to have some similarity in their setlists night after night. Those of us who follow them obsessively are NOT the typical fan, and we shouldn't expect Wilco to feel entirely fresh to our ears at every show.

I was just thinking the other day about Josh and the cowbells on Hoodoo Voodoo, or Glenn on his drumkit on ITMWLY, or any number of other moves that are starting to feel a little bit played out to me. Then I think, what are we, like 1% of the audience? (Hey, at least I'm in SOME kind of 1% heh heh). For 99% of the audience this is a big moment!

I think it's the same with the shows in the roadcase. The ones I really want to hear are the "special" shows--the Lincoln Hall one on the incredible shrinking tour, or the Tipitinas show, or those awesome Jeff solo shows for charity.

I am experiencing some burnout, but it probably has nothing to do with Wilco. The process has been self-conscious and self-induced.

I was in such a frenzy of happiness after seeing my first Wilco show in Dublin's Vicar Street in 2007, I couldn't help but binge. There wasn't a high that was high enough. I had to go to two or three shows in a row at a time to feel sated. We'd rent a car and drive across Spain, take a train from Amsterdam to Brussels to Paris. After one binge, I'd plan the next one. I lived my life from binge to binge. In 2008, I went to 11 shows. I saw way more of Wilco than I did my parents.

It wasn't sustainable. I think the best way to cure some addictions is to feed them to a ridiculous extreme. And it worked.

I will still buy their next album, though. Wilco is fab.

I agree that after seeing Wilco so many times, there are definitely parts of the shows that are "rehearsed" and I enjoy the unscripted moments, like the banter or the rarely played songs. Unlike other bands, though, there is something ironic and "meta" in Wilco as "performance". For instance when Pat Sansone pouts and makes his windmill-arm guitar flourishes, or Jeff Tweedy starts his Hummingbird jog, or Nels's intense guitar-solo face in Impossible Germany, or Glenn Kotche as Rock God in the intro to I'm the Man who Loves You -- it feels to me like they are posturing as an ironic homage to "being rock and roll", and I am willing to participate in that spectacle with equally ironic unbridled squeals of delight. It's a fabulous antidote to that rehearsed hipster, too-cool-for-school, I-shop-at-Whole-Foods-and-drive-a-hybrid-car attitude.

This happens to anything you obsess over.

Here are my suggestions

Listen to the Wilco Pandora channel for some new music.

Listen to the new albums from

Andrew Bird, Tame Impala, Grizzly Bear, m.ward, Poor Moon, and the re release of Paul McCartney RAM.

You're welcome

This happens to anything you obsess over.

Here are my suggestions

Listen to the Wilco Pandora channel for some new music.

Listen to the new albums from

Andrew Bird, Tame Impala, Grizzly Bear, m.ward, Poor Moon.

You're welcome

So wait. Listen to inferior hipster music to help with the burnout? Hmmmm....

So wait. Listen to inferior hipster music to help with the burnout? Hmmmm....

um sorry what? What's inferior or "hipster" about any of those groups? Get over yourself. I'm a long time Wilco fan, and Im just trying to give suggestions on what other stuff I'm listening to, that I also really enjoy. Andrew Bird and M.Ward Hipster? Uh. yeah, you clearly don't know what the definition of that word is.

and that was a MUCH better suggestion then Band of Horses and Coldplay..that's for sure.

i'm curious, who? seriously. thanks.

c

Just sticking with artists that have put together consecutive good albums or a recent string of them (and off the top of my head):

Spoon

Liars

The National

Neko Case

The xx

Low

Fang Island

Japandroids

Menomena

Yeasayer

The Kills

Dan Deacon

There are also a bunch of other albums from the last few years that I would rate higher than any of Wilco's last three.

Just sticking with artists that have put together consecutive good albums or a recent string of them (and off the top of my head):

Spoon

Liars

The National

Neko Case

The xx

Low

Fang Island

Japandroids

Menomena

Yeasayer

The Kills

Dan Deacon

There are also a bunch of other albums from the last few years that I would rate higher than any of Wilco's last three.

that was quick! thanks. gonna check some of these out that i've kind of ignored in the past. i am a fan of spoon already.