Wilco burnout???

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um sorry what? What's inferior or "hipster" about any of those groups? Get over yourself. I'm a long time Wilco fan, and Im just trying to give suggestions on what other stuff I'm listening to, that I also really enjoy. Andrew Bird and M.Ward Hipster? Uh. yeah, you clearly don't know what the definition of that word is.

Come on. They are hipster bands and you and I both know it. It's o.k., though, I was just making an observation.

• 9 months later...

Wonder what happened to Sparky Speaks - I don't think he has been heard from since Sandy.

Listened to WTA a couple of weeks ago - still not very good. I don't listen much to their studio stuff - mostly recent boots and the occasional older one.

Guest Jules

Wonder what happened to Sparky Speaks - I don't think he has been heard from since Sandy.

Listened to WTA a couple of weeks ago - still not very good. I don't listen much to their studio stuff - mostly recent boots and the occasional older one.

^ I read "studio stuff" as "dildo stuff".  True story.

I am glad I took a break after much obsessive listening. Coming back to them with fresh ears, or however you want to say it, I appreciate them now more than ever. Of course, seeing them live really, really helped with that. I was ridiculously psyched to hear Shouldn't Be Ashamed (my first, I believe) and When the Roses Bloom Again in Atlanta. Of course, the Dark Star>CA Stars>Dark Star made my year.

I gotta say I'm pretty burned out.  I still like most of the recordings, but something has happened to Jeff Tweedy's voice that I don't particularly like.   Still a solid band, but it seems like Tweedy is using a different singing technique, maybe as a result of aging, and it isn't coming across in a way that appeals to me very much.

Truthfully I dont listen to them THAT often. I'll throw an album on every once and a while... But this summer I... 

-Went to Solid Sound
-Covered Yankee Hotel Foxtrot with my band at a show
-Saw them a third time at Americanarama 

Oddly enough I'm not that sick of them... I kinda could see them again this summer hahah

I gotta say I'm pretty burned out.  I still like most of the recordings, but something has happened to Jeff Tweedy's voice that I don't particularly like.   Still a solid band, but it seems like Tweedy is using a different singing technique, maybe as a result of aging, and it isn't coming across in a way that appeals to me very much.

I hear people talk about this one pretty frequently. I think it's a combination of age, quitting smoking and the surgeries he had on his sinuses. His voice is clearer, stronger and a different timbre now. One of the things that I've always enjoyed about Wilco is the way Tweedy's voice has changed over the years, especially hearing him now sing older material.

There was that youthful, boyish voice in the A.M. days that cracked; the rough, rock star howl of the Being There tour; the smoky, soulful voice that started to get stronger on MA and ST. I think his approach changed again with YHF - so many double-tracked vocals on that record in octaves. 

At any rate, of the last three records, I think TWL has the best vocals. Or they were at least recorded in a way that sounded better -- little touches of reverb.

His voice is clearer, stronger and a different timbre now.

That's a good way to state it.  Exactly the words I was looking for but couldn't find.  Every singer's voice changes eventually, so I don't hold it against him or think he's phoning it in or anything like that.  It's just lost many of the characteristics that drew me in in the first place, and it was mostly the vocals that attracted me to this band, so it's a bit of a comedown for my fandom.  His accent also seems to be more pronouced now, which is neither a good nor bad thing, imo.

A Wilco song came up on shuffle the other day.

I skipped it.

In all honesty, the last three albums have zapped all the Wilco enthusiasm I used to have.

Thank God you can still scrape up enough enthusiasm to post on a Wilco fansite. ;)

I myself go through phases where I don't listen to Wilco, so I don't and then I want to, so I do - without regret or some feeling of guilt that I do not listen to them enough. This is what Maslow calls self-actualization.

If you look in the dictionary under burnout, you might find my picture.

HOWEVER, I still find myself energized, enraptured and enthralled by the boys.

Music is my solace.

Thank God you can still scrape up enough enthusiasm to post on a Wilco fansite. ;)

I myself go through phases where I don't listen to Wilco, so I don't and then I want to, so I do - without regret or some feeling of guilt that I do not listen to them enough. This is what Maslow calls self-actualization.

Yup. Still hoping for a comeback.

His accent also seems to be more pronouced now, which is neither a good nor bad thing, imo.

I'm curious where you're hearing this in later work.  There's a helluva lot of twang on some of the the old stuff, too.  In one version of Outta Mind (Outta Sight) that I listened to recently, Jeff sounded practically hillbilly! But I've always had a great weakness for how he pronounces "I" as "ah."  As in "Ah shoulda been listenin' to evry word  you said..."