What are you all doing in preparation for this monster hurricane/storm? I'm from earthquake country (California) so i don't know anything but what I read or hear on the news about how to brace for a hurricane.

I hope this one doesn't live up to its billing. Stay safe out there.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like sarcasm in the face of compassion! Thanks, Donna. It's a windy day in NE Florida and as always, I'm hoping for some rain (the gardener in me loves a good soaking). Hope we don't have to batten down the hatches, though, cuz there's nothing in the fridge but 5 lbs of half-smokes and a few cans of Costa Rican beer.

High tide is at 11:30 tomorrow morning here on Long Island Sound in Southern CT. I'll probably go for my daily walk down to the beach if it's not raining too hard yet to watch the waves crash on to the beach. If it's too rainy a drive in the car is always an adventure during these storms. Last year for Irene most of the locals who didn't actually have a house right on the water strolled around on the roads leading to the beach to see the raging surf. Pretty awesome actually. Unfortunately several friends of mine have just rebuilt their homes from that last storm and are preparing for the worst again. I'm about a mile from the coast. Just have to worry about trees falling down once the winds pick up which is supposed to happen after 3PM. Tomorrow night will be something if what they say is going to happen actually happens. We'll see. School already been cancelled for the next two days. Once the power lines go down I could be off from work for a week. I know it's a tough job but someone has to do it. Stay safe out there.

Not sure I understand your comment PopTodd ...

I think he was adding onto my "Stay safe out there", but I'm not entirely sure, plus I'm all distracted by the idea of homemade gnocci with walnut sauce. Also with the idea of dag going all "Captain Dan" with Mother Nature. All of you, please enjoy Mother Nature but don't get reckless! We want you safe and sound.

Leigh, I'm gonna need that recipe once the storm is past. :yes

yes, good advice ks. and that gnocci/ walnut sauce stufff makes my olfactories go off the beam (with a follow up, no less)!

maybe time to shift to a rain/ storm theme...apologies if already a separate thread. I'll start:

Stormy Monday

Fall On Me

weather report suite

I've got an interview in NYC this week and my flight is supposed to be tuesday night...but I doubt thats going to happen now. Somehow I think they're going to be sympathetic to me if i explain I couldn't make it because of the weather. Hope everyone currently out there stays safe, I'm glad all the states seem to be taking it very seriously.

Went out for my walk around 6:30 this morning. Wind was a steady 20 mph in your face when you walked directly East. The waves were pretty regular for a normal high tide but it should have been low tide at that time. Some white caps but not anything dangerous. Walked along the sea-wall and didn't get splashed. I had to journey out on I-95 about an hour ago. Some gusts that moved the car a bit but nothing different than one usually encounters on a blustery day.The winds have picked up a bit in the last half-hour. My son who travels all day in his car is still out on the road. I checked in with him a few minutes ago and said things aren't bad yet. I'm going to journey out to see the waves in a few minutes. I'll check back in later.

http://www2.wnct.com/news/2012/oct/29/7/coast-guard-rescue-underway-hatteras-ar-2734769/

Large, 50 year old, 3 mast sailing ship (twice featured in movies) sinks off the Outer Banks. The crew was rescued from their life boats by the Coast Guard. Apparently the slow-moving ship couldn't quite get around Sandy, took on water, and couldn't pump it out fast enough. Another victim in the Graveyard of the Atlantic...

B4FAA2DC-3F36-41E3-8E20-7F36D2D6C341-2544-0000041268A68EED.jpg

This weekend, between the earthquakes in British Columbia (big) and Southern California (small), the associated tsunami warning in Hawaii, and the storm prep on the east coast, it struck me how many friends I have in so many far-flung places. More people to worry about! Stay safe, wherever you are. :cheekkiss

I'm in southeastern Connecticut. So far just steady rain and the occasional strong gust of wind (getting worse as the day progresses). Local friends are telling me of flooded roads and power loss. I live in a wooded area, so it's almost inevitable that we'll lose power eventually. Hopefully they'll get on fixing it faster than last year. 7 days without. No fun with 2 toddlers in the house.

I'm already going a bit stir-crazy.