• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www2.wnct.com...ras-ar-2734769/

Large, 50 year old, 3 mast sailing ship (twice featured in movies) sinks off the Outer Banks. The crew was rescued from their life boats by the Coast Guard. Apparently the slow-moving ship couldn't quite get around Sandy, took on water, and couldn't pump it out fast enough. Another victim in the Graveyard of the Atlantic...

B4FAA2DC-3F36-41E3-8E20-7F36D2D6C341-2544-0000041268A68EED.jpg

I am very sad about this. The Bounty docked here in St. Augustine last April and really cast a spell over me. The ship was breathtaking.

RIP.

I am very sad about this. The Bounty docked here in St. Augustine last April and really cast a spell over me. The ship was breathtaking.

RIP.

And even sadder, there's at least one fatality, probably two. They recovered one woman, who was rescued but later passed away, and I believe the captain is still missing.

on a completely different front:

am i late to the party, or is photo shop/ bombing national disaste/ eventr coverage the new "ba-ba- booey!" prank??

And even sadder, there's at least one fatality, probably two. They recovered one woman, who was rescued but later passed away, and I believe the captain is still missing.

Thanks for the update. I'm afraid the captain may have went down with his ship...

http://slideshow.nbcnews.com/slideshow/weather/hurricane-sandy-49560895/

A slideshow of Hurricane Sandy.

Sandy pretty much swung and missed in soctrl PA - very fortunate- never lost power and minimal shop-vac basement maintenance.

oh my goodness, so many more impacted worse. prayers and blessings.

what an absolute mess.

Still without power in NW Connecticut. We have a generator, so it's not a huge problem. It's getting old, though.

I'm glad you at least have a generator, Leigh. And I'm especially glad that you & yours are safe and unharmed! :cheekkiss I hope all of you affected by the loss of power can hunker down and get through this slow process of getting things "back to normal", or as back to normal as possible. Did you have a lot of tree damage where you are? Structural damage?

My mother was actally visiting Deleware during the storm... from Newfoundland... kept saying oh... we'll leave on Sunday morning and beat the storm... well the State of Deleware closed all roads that morning so they were forced to wait it out... all was OK...

I'm glad you at least have a generator, Leigh. And I'm especially glad that you & yours are safe and unharmed! :cheekkiss I hope all of you affected by the loss of power can hunker down and get through this slow process of getting things "back to normal", or as back to normal as possible. Did you have a lot of tree damage where you are? Structural damage?

Not too much tree damage in my neighborhood. Last year's freak October snowstorm took care of the weak trees and branches. The power pole in front of our house snapped on Monday though. It was leaning over the road at a 45 degree angle until they took care of it last night. We still aren't expecting power back for another 24-48 hours though. At least the kids are back in school, and our generator covers just about everything we need except for the washing machine. So, we are pretty much fine. It's really bad for the people on the shoreline who had just finished rebuilding from the last hurricane. So, we consider ourselves lucky.

Close! Gales Ferry.

Have two brothers and their families in Guilford, Ct (hometown) and one bro sent a pic of him travelling home last night only to have the road close to his home engulfed in flames. The town had gotten power turned on a little earlier and transformers were 'sploding. Power's out for another day or so.

Aint your bro a fireman? Firemen live for that kinda shit.

Different bro. Lawyer. He starts fires, not puts 'em out.

Two bros are firefighters in NYC. One in Floral Park (L.I.) and the other recently moved from Rockaway Beach in Queens to north of the city. Rockaway Beach had a bunch of homes burn up during the storm that firefighters couldn't even get to in order to help due to the flooding.

The stories coming out of storm-ravaged areas of subhumans charging those without electricity $100 to charge their phones make me ill. :barf I guess it doesn't pay (enough) to have ethics.

"Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In the Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation.

The term is similar to profiteering but can be distinguished by being short-term and localized, and by a restriction to essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, medicine and equipment needed to preserve life, limb and property. In jurisdictions where there is no such crime, the term may still be used to pressure firms to refrain from such behavior.

The term is not in widespread use in mainstream economic theory, but is sometimes used to refer to practices of a coercive monopoly which raises prices above the market rate that would otherwise prevail in a competitive environment.[1] Alternatively, it may refer to suppliers' benefiting to excess from a short-term change in the demand curve.

As a criminal offense, Florida's law[2] is typical. Price gouging may be charged when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency, or when it cancels or dishonors contracts in order to take advantage of an increase in prices related to such an emergency. The model case is a retailer who increases the price of existing stocks of milk and bread when a hurricane is imminent. It is a defense to show that the price increase mostly reflects increased costs, such as running an emergency generator, or hazard pay for workers."

And then there's this, from George Takai's facebook feed:

541351_547782008584590_498324285_n.png

One person commented, "This is what we mean when we say "We're all in this together",

not "You're on your own". I love photos like this...Community." -Debra

Well said!

Hang in there, all of you struggling through the aftermath of this storm. :cheekkiss

Have two brothers and their families in Guilford, Ct (hometown) and one bro sent a pic of him travelling home last night only to have the road close to his home engulfed in flames. The town had gotten power turned on a little earlier and transformers were 'sploding. Power's out for another day or so.

We actually had power throughout the storm, then lost it late Tuesday afternoon(!). CL&P are effing useless. 7 days without power last year after Irene, now going into a 4th day this time.

It wouldn't have bothered me before we had kids, but now with 3.5 year old twins it's terrible. Starting to get really cold at night, too.

I know it could be worse, and is for many, but considering what a load of thieving assholes CL&P are, I still feel ok about being angry.

On a happier note, it's good to find another Wilco fan nearby. Groton? I wonder if we've met...

We actually had power throughout the storm, then lost it late Tuesday afternoon(!). CL&P are effing useless. 7 days without power last year after Irene, now going into a 4th day this time.

It wouldn't have bothered me before we had kids, but now with 3.5 year old twins it's terrible. Starting to get really cold at night, too.

I know it could be worse, and is for many, but considering what a load of thieving assholes CL&P are, I still feel ok about being angry.

On a happier note, it's good to find another Wilco fan nearby. Groton? I wonder if we've met...

No, grew up in Guilford. Haven't lived there in over 25 yrs though. Hope you and family have a generator or a fireplace or something.

Just got power back at 4:30 this afternoon. Outside of a few minutes of computer time at school, which was closed but had power, no internet, phone or TV since Monday evening. Luckily, I could get all the ice I needed from the ice machine in the school cafe. Parts of town were devastated near the coast here in Milford, CT. Went out Monday night to watch the high tide roll in down on Melba Street which is a low lying area along the beach which always gets destroyed in these storms. The water reached the bottom of the street signs and washed the beach side walls of many homes away. One of my friends who is still rebuilding from Irene, was lucky this time. His new house is being built on five foot high concrete stilts reinforced by steel girders. The water rushed under his home and did no damage to the structure itself. There must have been over 100 people standing on the hill overlooking the area while wind gusts of about 60 mph blew the waves into the low lying neighborhood. The tide started to recede around midnight. The next day was some sight. We walked the concrete patios that link most the houses on the beach side. Some homes were destroyed and some had only minor damage. The waves hit at angles this time sparing some homes from complete destruction. During Irene the waves crashed head on and did more damage to the homes in this section of town. On the west side of town the people weren't so lucky. The beach juts out into the sound more and the waves hit at more of a direct angle. Several homes crashed into the ocean. One person actually jumped off a pier to go swimming Monday afternoon and drowned. He was the son of a guy I went to high school with. Most of the city was without power until early this morning due to falling trees ripping down power lines. Managed to survive the loss of civilization for a few days. Going to bed when it gets dark and waking up when it gets light has its' advantages but the novelty was wearing off. Tough to read with a flashlight balancing on your shoulder. It was starting to get colder last night and this afternoon so it is nice to get the heat back on.