Your top 3 music albums (collections of songs) released in the year 2012 A.D.

man, the bon iver backlash bandwagon is in full effect. hearing it all the time these days, clearly we are only now waking up from his sleep inducing music.

http://www.vice.com/...-on-the-way-out

That article is pretty funny, but the comments section after it is downright priceless:

If I showed up to the VICE offices with a box full of "LISTEN TO THIN LIZZY" t-shirts, I bet they'd be gone in a matter of minutes.

Ha!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Beach House - Bloom

2. Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral

3. Band of Horses - Mirage Rock

Ok, I might have put the Shins at #3 but I had to represent for Band of Horses. I honestly don't understand the hate for the new album, which I am loving by the way. I say give it another listen. Or if you have been scared away by the negative talk, give it a first spin and see what you think. :dj

Everything's Gonna Be Undone is one of the greatest songs ever

I'll go with:

First Aid Kit: The Lion's Roar

Spirit Family Reunion: No Separation

Melody's Echo Chamber: Melody's Echo Chamber

Did you by chance go to the Newport Folk Festival this year? I had never heard of Spirit Family Reunion before NFF, and they blew me away. The moment was just so perfect, couldn't stop crying. Of course it didn't help that I wiped sunblock in my eye trying to get rid of the first tear before anyone saw me.

Off the top of my head, my three favorites are probably:

Punch Brothers - Who's Feeling Young

The Walkmen - Heaven

Regina Spektor - What We Saw From the Cheap Seats

Did you by chance go to the Newport Folk Festival this year? I had never heard of Spirit Family Reunion before NFF, and they blew me away. The moment was just so perfect, couldn't stop crying. Of course it didn't help that I wiped sunblock in my eye trying to get rid of the first tear before anyone saw me.

I did not. I only stumbled upon them by chance recently. I have a bunch of friends coming into town next month, and was looking for entertainment options. They're playing at Schubas on Dec 8, so I checked them out online, bought their album, and was very pleasantly surprised. Going to be a fun night.

I did not. I only stumbled upon them by chance recently. I have a bunch of friends coming into town next month, and was looking for entertainment options. They're playing at Schubas on Dec 8, so I checked them out online, bought their album, and was very pleasantly surprised. Going to be a fun night.

I didn't know they were swinging through the midwest, thanks for the heads-up. I may have to check them out at Schuba's or see them open for Trampled By Turtles in Urbana the night before. If you like the album, you will love the live show. So much energy and passion.

03. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do

02. Grizzly Bear - Shields

01. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V for the win.

Also, Metz's self-titled debut is quickly ascending the ranks. I wish I knew why I could love Metz but not Nirvana.

03. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do

02. Grizzly Bear - Shields

01. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V for the win.

Also, Metz's self-titled debut is quickly ascending the ranks. I wish I knew why I could love Metz but not Nirvana.

I could never get into the Grizzly Bear album for some reason.

Lambchop: Mr. M

Jason Lytle: Dept of Disapearance

Micah P. Hinson: Micah P. Hinson and the Junior Arts Collective (Only available in spain but well worth hunting down)

My favourite purchases of 2012 is/was the vinly re-issues of the Talk Talk albums 'Colour of spring' and 'Spirit of Eden' along with the Sparklehorse vinyl re-issues of 'it's a Wonderful Life' and 'Dreamt for Light Years'.

RNDM - Acts (Joseph Arthur, Jeff Ament, Richard Stuverud) and the Travoltas (Salim Nourallah's band) self-titled album have recently shot to the top of my list. I'd probably include the Spring Standards up there but I don't have the album yet - been playing some good new live stuff by them though.

2. Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral

Yes. This is his best album in a long time, outside of the Soul Savers. I wasn't into Bubblegum at all, but Blues Funeral has gotten me into it.

Father John Misty Fear Fun

Matthew E White Big Inner

Hiss Golden Messenger Poor Moon

Sharon Van Etten Tramp

Shearwater Animal Joy

First Aid Kit The Lion's Roar

Dinosaur Jr. I Bet On Sky

homepage_large.03f9a634.jpg homepage_large.c5563df8.jpg homepage_large.45e3c196.jpg

also:

Tame Impala - Lonerism

Lambchop - Mr. M

Honorable Mention: Sigur Ros - Valtari, Frank Ocean - ChannelOrange, Grizzly Bear - Shields

3. Walkmen - Heaven...... Solid throughout, I find myself still singing these songs in my head constantly.

2. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel (...)...... I wish she didn't need 4-6 years to churn out her albums, but they're utter classics when they drop.

1. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan..... This album is one song (Maybe That Was It) away from being a perfect album--those that are flawless in every way (think YHF, Sgt. Peppers, OK Computer). No, I don't think that I'm reaching with those references. The raw creativity, emotion, storytelling, vocals, EVERYTHING on this album works to perfection; all of it struck me from the first listen, and each subsequent spin adds another layer of appreciation.