Your top 3 music albums (collections of songs) released in the year 2012 A.D.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should probably check out that Fiona Apple album.

Good stuff. I like her music alright, but I'm not a huge fan. I saw her in concert last month and it was incredible. Definitely go see her if you get the chance.

great record

I think the first, independent pressing came out last year, but I'm counting it since I've played "Jesus Shot Me In The Head" more than any other song this year.

Just picked up

Kids These Days - Traphouse Rock

616vW-QGARL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hip-hop album produced by Tweedy and mixed by Mario C (Beastie Boys).

Saw them opening for Raphael Saadiq last year and they impressed me enough to want to check this out. The fact that they are offering the new album as a free download from their website helped push me to get it quicker. Glad that I did. This is one of those few albums that just DEMANDS my attention; no passive listening here. Jazz/soul/hip-hop with all organic instruments.

RIYL: The Roots, Massive Attack, Kanye West

This one cribs a Pixies lead guitar line for the main piano part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zmDskGQrW0

Might be competing for a spot.

one could make a semi-convincing argument that Ty Segall (Slaughterhouse, the record w/ White Fence, Twins) or Guided By Voices (Let's Go Eat The Factory; Class Clown Spots a UFO; The Bears For Lunch) could singlehandedly take top 3 honors this year.

i havent heard the ty/white fence album yet, but i really need to get on that. i loved twins, liked slaughterhouse, and really enjoyed both family perfume releases. 

i havent heard the ty/white fence album yet, but i really need to get on that. i loved twins, liked slaughterhouse 

The Ty/White Fence is the most enjoyable one of the three, IMO.  Slaughterhouse is my least favorite, but they all have their high points.

one could make a semi-convincing argument that Ty Segall (Slaughterhouse, the record w/ White Fence, Twins) or Guided By Voices (Let's Go Eat The Factory; Class Clown Spots a UFO; The Bears For Lunch) could singlehandedly take top 3 honors this year.

The reunion GBV records have done nothing for me and I cite GBV as one of my all-time favorite bands. The records look so much better on paper than they actually sound. I even passed up the opportunity to see them in September because I didn't feel like putting the money, time or effort into seeing them play material I could care less about.

I keep trying too: yesterday I played bears for lunch twice and still, just not feeling it. I haven't even cracked the seal on class clown and I've had it for months. I haven't even bothered to buy his last solo joint or bears for lunch yet. I guess I'm going through a Pollard-burnout.

My Top 3 for this Year:

Smashing Pumpkins -  Oceania

The Shins - Port of Morrow

Grizzly Bear - Shields  

These are just the ones I've had in my truck and so I've listened to them the most out of any other albums this year.  

Hah!

I feel really bad for not liking them and I really wish I did...I'm just not there.  My opinion of the new records doesn't mean that I don't like GBV anymore...in fact, I just hipped one of my friends to them and he's digging the hell outta B000 and Alien Lanes...there's not a better feeling than introducing GBV to another music fiend...I'm just not feeling the new stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up

Saw them opening for Raphael Saadiq last year and they impressed me enough to want to check this out. The fact that they are offering the new album as a free download from their website helped push me to get it quicker. Glad that I did. This is one of those few albums that just DEMANDS my attention; no passive listening here. Jazz/soul/hip-hop with all organic instruments.

This one cribs a Pixies lead guitar line for the main piano part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zmDskGQrW0

Might be competing for a spot.

Wow... this is just unbelievably good.  On only one listen it's vaulted to the top of my list for the year... maybe for the last several years.  Yes, it's that good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up

I appreciated the full download and gave it a spin.  I thought the production was perfect, the rhythm section is magic, and the horns are outstanding.  The blend into aggressive rock seems to work better than one would expect, and the appropriation of Nirvana, Radiohead, and Pixies riffs seems pretty cool.  I also like the female vocals, as well as a lot of the effects on the mc's voice.  That said, some of the lyrics are awful.  Between the sporadic gangsta' shit, and hitting the trifecta of 7th grade poetry rhymes ( cry/die, tears/fears, thinkin'/drinkin') I felt disappointed that an otherwise grand effort was undermined by really lazy lyric writing.  

There is one point early on where it sounds like a radio flipping stations with some kind of parody of modern music, the clip of 'hip hop' just has a dude dropping the n bomb a million times, which I thought was maybe a funny critique, but then the MC seems to fall back on the n word as a filler when he doesn't know how else to fill a syllable.

I hope this group stays together, it can only get better.  There are at least 3 mix tape worthy tunes on here.