Your top 3 music albums (collections of songs) released in the year 2012 A.D.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's my official column/list about my favorite albums of the year:

http://bumslogic.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/best-albums-of-2012-not-just-a-list/

of those 20 or so.... if i had to pick the best of the best i guess it would be:

Chuck Prophet - Temple Beautiful
Patterson Hood - Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance

Jack White - Blunderbuss

Willy Mason - Carry On

Jimmy Cliff - Rebirth

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Am sure there are probably better records, but here's what I have actually been listening to:

• Grizzly Bear - Shields
  • Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
  • Tame Impala - Lonerism
  • Shins - Port of Morrow
  • Father John Misty - Fear Fun
  • Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes - Here  

Tramp is a good example of this year for me - It's a solid album but never completely satisfying. I do not think she is quite there yet as a songwriter, though she has moments. Shields is a very solid album with a couple of tracks that I love that would probably be lost in a stronger year. Lonerism is a fun listen but almost gimmicky. Shins record is not their best, but again some great songs. FJM - I never got over his freak out over pitchfork rating his album. ES & TMZ - My wife loves them too. But weren't they supposed to put out another record this year?

Then agin, I have no room to play the snob card. I have to profess that I have spent almost all year dusting off my early to mid 90s indie/alt collection, and in particular I absolutely love Lush (again). I have listened to Lush - Spooky this year 10 times more often than anything else this year. And really, I am loving the whole time period again - dozens and dozens of bands - too many to list. All my playlists are littered with that stuff. Am super geeked to hear that there's a new My Bloody Valentine record coming next year.

Couple more things:

First a couple of singles that I am unsure of the release dates for:

We Are Trees - I Don't Believe in Love - extremely listenable.

Purity Ring - Lofticries - pretty sure this came out in 2011, but didnt really seem to make a dent in consciousness til this year. '

Definitely 2012:

Rhye - The Fall - really solid single.

for this one takes it to the top of the list. I cannot remember the last time I saw anyone bother to make a video this good.       

Also, I wanted to add the Bat For Lashes album, which I bought - but I haven't listened to it enough.      

Some of my favorites from 2012, which provided us with a wealth of good new music.

Tame Impala - Lonerism

John Zorn - A Vision in Blakelight

Kishi Bashi - 151a

Sera Cahoone - Deer Creek Canyon

Family of the Year - Loma Vista

Benjamin Gibbard - Former Lives

Exlovers - Moths

Jake Bugg - st

Andrew Bird - Hands of Glory

Top 10

1. Hot Chip – In Our Heads
  2. Walkmen - Heaven
  3. Lambchop – Mr M
  4. 2 Bears – Be Strong
  5. Divine Fits – A Thing Called Divine Fits
  6. Moonface with Siinai – Heartbreaking Bravery
  7. Bat For Lashes – Haunted Man
  8. Sharon Van Etten – Tramp
  9. Future Islands – Tomorrow/The Fountain 7”
  10. Jay Farrar - NEW MULTITUDES

Good to see so many mentions of The Shins, as they have been virtually absent from year end lists.

I think it is a whole lot better than Wincing The Night Away.

Some stuff no one has mentioned I don't think:

Damien Jurado - Maraqopa // produced by Richard Swift, friend of Wilco. I believe this was recorded by Damien recording the songs with guitar and vocal live and then Richard playing everything else around it.

Sucre' - A Minor Bird // This is basically the solo album of Stacy DuPree of Eisley and she is joined by her husband, the drummer for MuteMath and Jeremy Larson who recorded/produced it and wrote/played string arrangements on it. I think fans of Bjork and Sigur Ros will at least like some of it. Some of the types of beats and vocals remind me of those that are on Vespertine. And some of the ambience and string use reminds me of Sigur Ros circa the ( ) album.

M. Ward's album really disappeared. I listened to it the other day. It's beautifully recorded, sequenced, and played, but it almost feels like there is a lack of emotion behind it.

of Montreal - I think this is a great comeback after the last 2 mostly disappointing albums. It puzzles me how the same people who complain about some of the long songs have Swans and Godspeed You! Black Emperor on their top 10's. The arrangements on a song like Dour Percentage are almost like an indie white guy's version of how Isaac Hayes and those types of arrangers would do in the 70's - if that makes sense.

I think Melody's Echo Chamber may be my favorite of the year. The only totally new artist I got into - though there is the Kevin Parker/Tame Impala connection. I found about it via the Broadcast band forum.

1. Dr. Dog - Be The Void

2. Heartless Bastards - Arrow

3. Foxygen - Take the Kids off Broadway

Others to mention:

Patti Smith - Banga

Diamond Rugs - Diamond Rugs

David Byrne & St. Vincent - Love this Giant

Dr. John - Locked Down

Bob Dylan - Tempest

Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

The Walkmen - Heaven

M. Ward - A Wasteland Companion

Hacienda - Shakedown

Quickly scanning the topic, I haven't found these two gems mentioned yet:

Damien Jurado - Maraqopa

Woods - Bend Beyond

Definitely among the best things released in o twelve imo.

Must've scanned REALLY quick. Ha. I just talked about it above and I think someone else has, too.

Richard Swift just tweeted that Damien booked some time in his studio, so the next one may not be too far off.

Quickly scanning the topic, I haven't found these two gems mentioned yet:

Damien Jurado - Maraqopa

Woods - Bend Beyond

Definitely among the best things released in o twelve imo.

I really liked Woods' Bend Beyond.  It just couldn't compete against Beach House, Frank Ocean, Grizzly Bear, Fiona Apple, Tame Impala,..  It's not bad, and I really like it.  Woods is that awesome band that gets buried under by a bunch of heavyweights at year end, sadly.  They always make beautiful albums, but it's tough to compete against those heavyweights.  I think I squeezed them into at least my top 25, and if not, 50.

• 2 weeks later...

Hospitality: Hospitality

That's the best of 2012 for me by a mile. So much better than anything else I've heard this year that I don't even know what would be the other two in my top three.

I've also been enjoying:

Tame Impala: Lonerism

Grass Widow: Internal Logic

Ty Segall: Twins

you would probably wanna check this out then:

http://www.nyctaper.com/2013/01/hospitality-january-10-2013-bowery-ballroom-flacmp3streaming/