2003 era Wilco--bad or unpolished or just a whole other band?

I was just watching a short-haired Jeff in an outdoor performance and was just struck at how different a band they were. The sound recording at this particular show was off so they may not have sounded this bed on most of the shows of this era. But this show blows. They soun like a very good local bar band.

Also, even though Jeff technically was "cuter" back then, I think he's really grown into his face. There's just a lot more well-earned character there now.

Does anybody here really defend this period of Wilco performances? The thing is, they were writing great songs and putting out great records but the performances were shit. Well, based on my limited sample.

The band struggled a bit live after Jay got the boot. I remember watching him alternate between guitar and multiple keyboards on the same song; it was almost like replacing multiple musicians. In the aftermath, Leroy was fine but couldn't replace him and it often felt like Jeff was trying to do too much on stage.

They found their stride again in 2004 in a big way.

I saw them during this period. Have many recordings. I really love this period and have a soft spot for this era. I think a lot (not all) of the music benefitted from the space that only 4 musicians provided. I think a lot of songs worked with the band finding themselves vs. having a well-worn groove and predictability. I think there was more urgency, risks, more of a sense of discovery, and more hunger, during that period that I really like and respect when I hear that era.

Just my take.

I was just watching a short-haired Jeff in an outdoor performance and was just struck at how different a band they were. The sound recording at this particular show was off so they may not have sounded this bed on most of the shows of this era. But this show blows. They soun like a very good local bar band.

Also, even though Jeff technically was "cuter" back then, I think he's really grown into his face. There's just a lot more well-earned character there now.

Does anybody here really defend this period of Wilco performances? The thing is, they were writing great songs and putting out great records but the performances were shit. Well, based on my limited sample.

I recommend reviewing this thread: http://viachicago.or...he-laptop-era/. Which eventually has great recommendations of boots from this era.

This period is my personal favorite of the band's, I love the spaces in the songs, and the flourishes Leroy brings. I think I know what video boot you have though. Does the video look like it was just shot in the front row? Does it pretty much stay on Jeff the whole time? That was from Detroit in the summer 2003, where the sound was shit. That lineup did a lot better in auditoriums particularly before Mike joined. Their sound and the songs on YHF were a lot quieter so it didn't always translate to outdoor shows.

Edit: Or is it from this show:

--Mike

My very first post here was to ask whether it was worth going to see them in London in 2004 - based on the fact that they seemed a bit ropey in the IATTBYH film. That was before I ever heard any boots etc - all that was new to me. Bit of a dumb question to ask on a wilco forum but there you are. Nels had just joined so the sound was much fuller. I think they opened with Muzzle of Bees, and it immediately sounded just right.

As for the earlier period - generally I do like a stripped back approach in the music I enjoy, but too often they seemed a bit sloppy, and going back even further I do not find myself particularly attracted to their behaviour as individuals in the same way even though the music is still great. To most of those who actually attended during that period, I guess there was a certain frisson of unpredictability/self destructive tendencies/tension that would give a charged edge that I can understand being hard to match for a live show being an event rather than just a performance

One thing I do miss is the fag-induced rasp to JTs voice. Swings and roundabouts ...

I have been listening to, and loving two concerts from that era.

These are available on Owl & Bear and I would highly recommend downloading at least the following standouts from these concerts:

09/04/2003

Kingpin - Something they usually do not open with, but they do here so it's not so drawn out.

Should've Been In Love - Beautiful version with the piano out front and a slow/quiet ending.

Box Full OF Letters - Jeff & Leroy doing some fine guitar work here.

Less Than You Think - A short, droneless version. I think if Wilco had recorded this abbreviated version, it would be a big favorite with many more fans.

06/24/2003

Muzzle Of Bees - A faster,uptempo early version of the song, the chorus was a little dodgy, but has a great false ending.

Spiders/Kidsmoke - I think this is the best version and performance I have ever heard of the song. A good mixture of the studio and current versions of the tune. To me this really demonstrates a great interplay of guitar work between Jeff & Leroy.

Listening to these concerts on headphones (and cheap ones, no less) really debunks the idea that post-Jay/pre-Nels days were lacking. I think there were many concerts they did during this time that were not as stellar, but listen to the songs I listed above and tell me that you don't love 'em!

I was just watching a short-haired Jeff in an outdoor performance ... Also, even though Jeff technically was "cuter" back then, I think he's really grown into his face. There's just a lot more well-earned character there now.

Warning! Girlie Jeff-adoring post just ahead....

I know there's a whole thread devoted to Jeff's hair (!) but I have to say he looked so much better with his hair short and off his face than he does with the shaggy look he's been wearing of late. It's so much better to be able to see his whole face and his eyes.

Warning! Girlie Jeff-adoring post just ahead....

I know there's a whole thread devoted to Jeff's hair (!) but I have to say he looked so much better with his hair short and off his face than he does with the shaggy look he's been wearing of late. It's so much better to be able to see his whole face and his eyes.

I agree--the boy needs a haircut. And a shave. And to get rid of that hat. I'll be sure to let him know.

Edit: Actually, it's not the length of his hair that I wish he'd change--it's the messiness. It's too studied.

By the way, thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm not at home right now but I'm pretty sure it was the 2003 Detroit show I was watching with the crappy sound quality. I'll be sure to check out some of the shows you all have suggested. I love you VCers!

The reason I posted this thread in the first place was that I was browsing through some bootleg DVDs and thinking about how I've become so completely taken with the band recently, after an Evening With show in Richmond, VA, despite having seen them several times over the years. I always really liked Wilco and would see them when they came near me, but I just went over the moon two years ago, and I was trying to figure out whether it was me, the band, or some combination of the two. When I was looking at that Detroit show, I was thinking, well, hell, no wonder I didn't go apeshit back then. :headbonk

I agree--the boy needs a haircut. And a shave. And to get rid of that hat. I'll be sure to let him know.

Edit: Actually, it's not the length of his hair that I wish he'd change--it's the messiness. It's too studied.

I think he's wearing the hat for the same reason Rick Nielson of Cheap Trick wears the baseball cap.

Of course. But you guys make much more of an issue of that balding thing than is warranted. Who gives a shit?

I guess the obvious answer is HE does.

As someone who could be a hair farm, it's not something I can relate to.

I saw Wilco for the first time right after this period, as some people are saying. I think it was their first or second tour with Nels and Pat. Which most of us agree was phenomenal.

If you need convincing that the smaller lineup could do great things watch "Radio Cures" on the IATTBYH doc. Or the Letterman appearance where they play "War on War". Definitely some cool stuff going on in those days.

This is the only phase of Wilco I actively listen to. There are some awesome boots from the time period that absolutely do the band justice. Nels doesnt do anything for me nor did Jay.

Of course. But you guys make much more of an issue of that balding thing than is warranted. Who gives a shit?

As a bald man I can tell you that it only matters when it first starts happening. Tweedy's baldness is beginning a little later than most men. He'll find a look that works - I hope.

The only member of Wilco I can envision doing the totally bald look (and pulling it off) is Mikael. He'd look pretty rad with no hair, but still wearing the glasses.

I have been listening to, and loving two concerts from that era.

These are available on Owl & Bear and I would highly recommend downloading at least the following standouts from these concerts:

09/04/2003

Kingpin - Something they usually do not open with, but they do here so it's not so drawn out.

Should've Been In Love - Beautiful version with the piano out front and a slow/quiet ending.

Box Full OF Letters - Jeff & Leroy doing some fine guitar work here.

Less Than You Think - A short, droneless version. I think if Wilco had recorded this abbreviated version, it would be a big favorite with many more fans.

06/24/2003

Muzzle Of Bees - A faster,uptempo early version of the song, the chorus was a little dodgy, but has a great false ending.

Spiders/Kidsmoke - I think this is the best version and performance I have ever heard of the song. A good mixture of the studio and current versions of the tune. To me this really demonstrates a great interplay of guitar work between Jeff & Leroy.

Listening to these concerts on headphones (and cheap ones, no less) really debunks the idea that post-Jay/pre-Nels days were lacking. I think there were many concerts they did during this time that were not as stellar, but listen to the songs I listed above and tell me that you don't love 'em!

THANKS for recommendation - the 6.24.2003 show is very strong...