Both Dick and Dave at varying times, have said they have avoided putting out the shows that would be most popular or commonly expected in favor of lesser known stuff. I know Dick was a zealot for exposing people to stuff that he felt was killer but didn't get enough recognition. I think this philosophy, while it has some merit, sometimes blinded them to what are some of the best performances in Dead history. Or it could be they just like different stuff from me. Regardless, I don't really get too excited about what they release unless its something I already know is great, like when they finally put out 9-19 and 9-20-90.

Hmm....Cornell 77, Harpur College, Valentines '70 Fillmore show, etc are all massively popular shows that were put out commercially. I can get their take, but the '83 hartford is just an example of a mainstream/average show. The better shows folks will lean towards, anyway....

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, lammy there are a few, and those are the exact ones I would list as shows they put out that are freaking awesome AND popular (they never put out Cornell 77, though, its not in the Vault, apparently) but still, to me, their batting average is very very low. I am pleased that the next Dave's Pick is gonna be 11-17-73. Now that, to me, is a show worth releasing. I hope he continues to pick shows that good.

Are you talking about my statement about not being all that pleased with Dave's picks? It shouldn't be that surprising, given everyone's different tastes and we are talking about picky Deadheads here. for example, the two 1983 shows Dick put out are nowhere near as good as many other shows from that year. Dave's Cornell 1980 release is just pretty mediocre to my ears. I just don't think they are putting out the very best shows in the vault. The cynic in me wonders if its not a business decision.

I was just joking about the weed. Dick didn't do that great a job of picking shows, either and he was stoned 24/7 it seems.

I just get tired of reading in the press releases how hot the playing is on each and every release and then being disappointed. I know people have different tastes and there is a whole host of reasons both technical and aesthetic why many great shows don't come out, but I look at what they put out compared to what I know exists in fine SBD quality on archive and I'm baffled by how weak many of the shows are that they put out.

I was. I don't really know about the shows after 1973 - so you got me there. I just think they put out a lot of good stuff. I am talking about all the stuff - not just the Dave's Picks series. I mean all the boxsets and the rest.

If you guys could pick the next 5 (D's) Picks what would they be? Favorite shows are very subjective. I might lean more toward event shows or shows with great or odd set lists.

10/16/81 Amsterdam (Bobby's B-Day) obscure set list.

12/31/76 Cow Palace

11/4/77 Colgate U. (the band billed as "the Home Coming Band) great show.

1/22/78 Eugene Oregon - for the great Close Encounters Jam.

11/14/73 San Diego - for the never ending Other One.

Then of course I got to add 10/29/77 Dekalb....truly a musical event. (one of my all time favorite)

This one was released a while ago. The Dekalb show is a great one.

http://www.deaddisc...._Cow_Palace.htm

7347827.jpg

Thank you for pointing that out. Thank you Rhino. Sometimes I fall out of the loop. I have always enjoyed this show. Some of the songs tend to have an extra edge and the jams take you into the realm of '77. A view of things to come.

If you guys could pick the next 5 (D's) Picks what would they be? Favorite shows are very subjective. I might lean more toward event shows or shows with great or odd set lists.

10/16/81 Amsterdam (Bobby's B-Day) obscure set list.

12/31/76 Cow Palace

11/4/77 Colgate U. (the band billed as "the Home Coming Band) great show.

1/22/78 Eugene Oregon - for the great Close Encounters Jam.

11/14/73 San Diego - for the never ending Other One.

Then of course I got to add 10/29/77 Dekalb....truly a musical event. (one of my all time favorite)

Oooh this should be fun!! OK, I'll bite with the first things that pop into my head. I might have to revise later. :D

11/10-11/67 Shrine Auditorium. Viola!

4/22/69 Boston. Incredible

6/10/73 RFK - always been a favorite

12/30/78 - for the second set. Ollin Arageed > Stephen!

6/30/84 - my fave show I attended. If you love Jerry you'll LOVE this one.

Regardless, I don't really get too excited about what they release unless its something I already know is great, like when they finally put out 9-19 and 9-20-90.

9-20-90 second set is probably the single best GD set I ever personally witnessed. Maybe tied with Roosevelt Stadium 8-6-74 second set. You know these nights are out as part of the Roads Trips release, although not in their entirety.

I just get tired of reading in the press releases how hot the playing is on each and every release and then being disappointed. I know people have different tastes and there is a whole host of reasons both technical and aesthetic why many great shows don't come out, but I look at what they put out compared to what I know exists in fine SBD quality on archive and I'm baffled by how weak many of the shows are that they put out.

I guess this discussion is limited to the Dick's and Dave's releases (as to which I don't share in the overall disappointment although I don't buy them all). But here's a plug for the Winterland '73 and Winterland '77 box sets. Whoever was responsible for those boxes hit the nail right on the head.

Oooh this should be fun!! OK, I'll bite with the first things that pop into my head. I might have to revise later. :D

11/10-11/67 Shrine Auditorium. Viola!

4/22/69 Boston. Incredible

6/10/73 RFK - always been a favorite

12/30/78 - for the second set. Ollin Arageed > Stephen!

6/30/84 - my fave show I attended. If you love Jerry you'll LOVE this one.

Yeah, those Ark shows would be in there.

I'd likely include:

William and Mary 4.15.78

The S.Yarmouth shows

U.VA. '83

St. Paul Civic Center 7.10.81. Amazing second set in/out of UJB->Playing and amazing China Doll

Lake Placid '83 would likely be in there, though my quality is excellent already. Whole show top to bottom is top notch, Jerry's voice is squeaky but crisp, Bobby's playing is dynamite with lots of warbly wah-wah type effect....

3-28-85 Long Island, NY

Truckin'

Smokestack Lightnin'* with Matt Kelly, harmonica

High Time

El Paso

Peggy-O

Cassidy

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Scarlet Begonias

Fire on the Mountain

Looks Like Rain

drums

Gimme Some Lovin'

The Other One

Black Peter

Sugar Magnolia

Day Job

4-24-78 Normal, IL

Promised Land

Ramble on Rose

Me and My Uncle

Big River

Friend of the Devil

Cassidy

Brown Eyed Women

Passenger

It Must Have Been the Roses

Music Never Stopped

Scarlet Begonias!!!

Fire on the Mountain!!!

Good Lovin'

Terrapin Station

drums

Not Fade Away

Black Peter

Around and Around

12-31-84 Oakland

Shakedown Street!!!

New Minglewood Blues

Peggy-O

Jack Straw!!!

Bird Song

Hell in a Bucket

Don't Ease Me In

Sugar Magnolia

Scarlet Begonias

Fire on the Mountain

Man Smart/Woman Smarter

drums

Spanish Jam

The Wheel

Throwin' Stones

Turn on Your Love Light

Gimme Some Lovin'

Uncle John's Band

Around and Around

Baby Blue

10-15-83 Hartford CT

Feel Like a Stranger

Dire Wolf

New Minglewood Blues

Brown Eyed Women

Wang Dang Doodle

Big Railroad Blues!!!

Let it Grow

Day Job

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Playin' in the Band

China Doll

drums

St. Stephen

Throwin' Stones

One More Saturday Night

Brokedown Palace

9-6-80 Lewiston Maine (fantastic long first set and wonderful set II as well)

Alabama Getaway

Greatest Story Ever Told

Sugaree

Me and My Uncle

Mexicali Blues

Tennessee Jed

Feel Like a Stranger

Friend of the Devil

Far From Me

Little Red Rooster

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Promised Land

Shakedown Street

Lost Sailor

Saint of Circumstance

Althea

Playin' in the Band

Uncle John's Band

drums

Not Fade Away

The Wheel

Uncle John's Band

Playin' in the Band

Sugar Magnolia

One More Saturday Night

Brokedown Palace

8-27-72 Venetta Oregon (my fave of '72 with, for me, definitive versions of Greatest Story, Bird Song, Playin', & Dark Star)

Promised Land

Sugaree

Me and My Uncle

Deal

Black Throated Wind

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Mexicali Blues

Bertha

Playing in the Band

He's Gone

Jack Straw

Bird Song

Greatest Story Ever Told

Dark Star

El Paso

Sing Me Back Home

Sugar Magnolla

Casey Jones

Yeah, those Ark shows would be in there.

I'd likely include:

William and Mary 4.15.78

The S.Yarmouth shows

U.VA. '83

St. Paul Civic Center 7.10.81. Amazing second set in/out of UJB->Playing and amazing China Doll

Lake Placid '83 would likely be in there, though my quality is excellent already. Whole show top to bottom is top notch, Jerry's voice is squeaky but crisp, Bobby's playing is dynamite with lots of warbly wah-wah type effect....

Love the Bertha>Good Lovin' from William and Mary '78, even though Jerry skips a verse in Bertha

Jerry's guitar smokes on 6-30-84 and I like the jam in Shakedown, but Jerry had A LOT of lyric amnesia in this show...

That Lake Placid is excellent, too. They have released a download of the opening Sugaree on dead.net as part of the 30 Days of Dead this month. Good stuff!

Oh, yeah, Road Trips Vol. 1 is really good (the Fall '79 collection). Gotta give Dave some credit for that one!

8-27-72 Venetta Oregon (my fave of '72 with, for me, definitive versions of Greatest Story, Bird Song, Playin', & Dark Star)

Promised Land

Sugaree

Me and My Uncle

Deal

Black Throated Wind

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Mexicali Blues

Bertha

Playing in the Band

He's Gone

Jack Straw

Bird Song

Greatest Story Ever Told

Dark Star

El Paso

Sing Me Back Home

Sugar Magnolla

Casey Jones

The film of that show is the best.

4-24-78 Normal, IL

Promised Land

Ramble on Rose

Me and My Uncle

Big River

Friend of the Devil

Cassidy

Brown Eyed Women

Passenger

It Must Have Been the Roses

Music Never Stopped

Scarlet Begonias!!!

Fire on the Mountain!!!

Good Lovin'

Terrapin Station

drums

Not Fade Away

Black Peter

Around and Around

Promised Land

Sugaree

Me and My Uncle

Deal

Black Throated Wind

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Mexicali Blues

Bertha

Playing in the Band

He's Gone

Jack Straw

Bird Song

Greatest Story Ever Told

Dark Star

El Paso

Sing Me Back Home

Sugar Magnolla

Casey Jones

Hey, I was at that Normal, IL show. I was an undergrad in St. Louis, and my brother was in grad school at Normal. Don't remember much about it, will have to give a listen on the Archive.

And agree with all your comments about the Venetta show. Mindblowing.

That Veneta show has never been released? WTF? Because they figure everyone already has it? I don't get that...

They don't own the film. I have a feeling whoever does wants more money than the band is willing to pay. David has been saying it will come out for several years now.

April 1978 is pretty strong. I've only recently discovered it, I was never much into 1978 before. This is a very good Scarlet Fire Nice when its followed by Good Lovin' and Terrapin! The best Black Peters, for me, mostly came in 1978, too. Promised Land and Music Never Stopped are quite good.

Venetta was acid-soaked and its got such a lazy, lethargic-yet-driving, hot-summer-day vibe. The guitar tones are fantastic. I love it when they take Dark Star into a cowboy song and then they followed it with a lovely country ballad. Yep, the audio has never been officially released. I'd love to hear it cleaned up as good as it could be.

Venetta was acid-soaked and its got such a lazy, lethargic-yet-driving, hot-summer-day vibe. The guitar tones are fantastic. I love it when they take Dark Star into a cowboy song and then they followed it with a lovely country ballad. Yep, the audio has never been officially released. I'd love to hear it cleaned up as good as it could be.

And then there's that naked guy on the pole behind the stage....

Being able to actually see them play Dark Star at the height of their prowess is a thrill too. Gotta love the SSDD!

Hey, I was at that Normal, IL show. I was an undergrad in St. Louis, and my brother was in grad school at Normal. Don't remember much about it, will have to give a listen on the Archive.

And agree with all your comments about the Venetta show. Mindblowing.

The thing I recall about Normal is they tease "Stayin' Alive" (at the time a big hit from Sat Night Fever) and then take it right into "Me & My Uncle". I don't know why this sticks out to me, but it always cracked me up.

The thing I recall about Normal is they tease "Stayin' Alive" (at the time a big hit from Sat Night Fever) and then take it right into "Me & My Uncle". I don't know why this sticks out to me, but it always cracked me up.

Just listened to that:

http://archive.org/details/gd1978-04-24.sbd.miller.97543.sbeok.flac16

And then there's that naked guy on the pole behind the stage....

Being able to actually see them play Dark Star at the height of their prowess is a thrill too. Gotta love the SSDD!

Sunshine Daydream is "must-see" stuff. Blistering hot, blistering hot music. The acid just drips out of the tv.