Apparently there is also a Facebook update which says "Grateful Dead and Furthur co-founder Bob Weir is unable to perform in any capacity for the next several weeks. Bob looks forward to resuming his 'Weir Here' broadcasts from TRI Studios in mid-to-late June and performing his solo acoustic shows June 26th-30th."

So it sounds like he will still be opening for Wilco, MMJ & Dylan. Woo hoo! Hope he's all right for the shows...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't form a conclusion based on the brief "official"statement issued other than the guy needs a break. Whether it's substance-related or not is really no matter, in my eyes. Dude is 65 and has been entertaining for nearly 50 years. 

Exactly.

The next box-set with be shows from May, 77. 

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/118539/Grateful-Dead-Channel-To-Preview-New-Box-Set-May-%2777

•Five Complete Shows
• 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
• 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
• 5/17/77 Memorial Coliseum, Tuscaloosa AL
•14 Discs, 111 tracks
•Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
•Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
•Period Photos by James R Anderson
•Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
•Individual show liner notes

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000

What do folks think of Vol.6 so far?

not very psyched by it, frankly. But i'm more for Godcheaux's GD than Pig's so looking forward for the 77-5 box

Only listened to the St. Louis show - think it's good, esp. Jerry's playing.

I prefer the DS from the Fillmore SF

That's really late, Shug. I would try to contact them, see if they have a tracking number..,

I've listened to all the discs, and it's a pretty good release. Not sure I'll listen to it much, but 4 discs for 30 bucks is not a bad deal.

Its scheduled to arrive tomorrow according to tracking info.  In the meantime, I revisited this collection of music http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/steel-cut-oats-10-back-to-the-cap-port-chester-70/  and was pretty impressed.  I usually avoid AUD recordings altogether, I just don't like hearing the room and the audience and the distance between mics and stage, for me it really gets in the way of the music.  But for these shows, because there are not SBDs apparently, I'l make an exception.  Check out the Not Fade Away>Easy Wind from late show June 24, 1970.  That is one smoking NFA and its the freakin' electric set opener!  I loved those rare rare nights when, for whatever collection of circumstances, they came out tight, intense, and in the groove, no warm up required.  and the smooooth transition into Easy Wind is just beautiful. Goddamn Grateful Dead!

Its scheduled to arrive tomorrow according to tracking info.  In the meantime, I revisited this collection of music http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/steel-cut-oats-10-back-to-the-cap-port-chester-70/  and was pretty impressed.  I usually avoid AUD recordings altogether, I just don't like hearing the room and the audience and the distance between mics and stage, for me it really gets in the way of the music.  But for these shows, because there are not SBDs apparently, I'l make an exception.  Check out the Not Fade Away>Easy Wind from late show June 24, 1970.  That is one smoking NFA and its the freakin' electric set opener!  I loved those rare rare nights when, for whatever collection of circumstances, they came out tight, intense, and in the groove, no warm up required.  and the smooooth transition into Easy Wind is just beautiful. Goddamn Grateful Dead!

Totally agree about that NFA opener. I dl'd this when they put it up, was blown away hearing that NFA for the first time. I remember thinking, " this is why they are the Grateful Dead!"

Think I enjoy the Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO 2/2/70 show better on Dave's Picks Vol. 6 - I think TC overplays on the Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA 12/20/69 show and I don't think he was a good fit on the newer material (Cumberland, Speedway, Uncle, & High Time).

I haven't gotten to the Bonus disc, yet.

What do folks think of Vol.6 so far?

It's got that slow, slinky, hanging on by a thread,  psychedelic sound typical for 1969 Dead.  I like it but can't listen to a ton from this era. That "High Time" must be the biggest train wreck I'm heard them do. They almost stop it completely. Ouch!

I don't often listen to a lot of 94-95 GD, but just listened to a Morning Dew from Nassau (3.27.94) on gdradio that is really,  really strong both vocally and music. Give it a whirl sometime.

Thanks for the 94 Dew recommendation. I wish the band would pull together some gems from the latter years and put out a set a la Without a Net.  Fix up the recordings a bit etc.  Maybe dedicate it to garcia.  I assume it's much more work than just releasing shows.  The mention of the high time above makes me think some best of selections are in order along with the warts and all stuff.

Another great latter day show is linked below.  The pre-drums is ridiculous and played flawlessly.  X factor show.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mleone/gdead/dead-sets/93/9-13-93.txt

The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA (Monday, 9/13/93)Hell in a Bucket ->Jack a RoeThe Same ThingStagger LeeBlack Throated WindDire WolfLet it GrowScarlet Begonias ->Fire on the Mountain ->Playing in the Band ->Dark Star ->Terrapin Station ->Drums ->Space ->Easy Answers ->Days Between ->Good Lovin'I Fought the Law

near pristine sbds exist for these 77 shows...right?

Yep. I have trouble convincing myself into buying a lot of these releases when I have most of them, and in many instances, in excellent sounding condition.

Never heard those Chicago shows though, could be worth the price of admission.

Only an audience recording of the Chicago 5/12 is out there. I do have some of the 5/13 Chicago show, it was bonus disc to the Winterland 77 shows.

Beside that, I did not have any of the shows - of course that changed yesterday. Probably will listen to them and decide if I want to purchase the set.