It's got that slow, slinky, hanging on by a thread,  psychedelic sound typical for 1969 Dead.  I like it but can't listen to a ton from this era. That "High Time" must be the biggest train wreck I'm heard them do. They almost stop it completely. Ouch!

However, the "Black Peter" is worth the price of admission. Jerry's guitar and vocals are out of this world on that one!!

And more '77 releases? I"m with Vacant Horizon...surprise us with an early 80's or nice '94 show. They do exist ya know.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard those Chicago shows though, could be worth the price of admission.

The 5/13 was an XRT broadcast. I had that show very early on on cassette.

i will say those tunes up at dead.net sound pretty good, especially that half step.  so good.  just want to camp out in that half step space and cross the rio grandeo.

Grateful Dead -
Rare Cuts and Oddities 1966
(Rhino)

This collection gathers some both live and studio recordings of the Dead at their earliest, and it apparently contains the only known Jerry Garcia-sung version of "Promised Land." Also, just look at that sweet picture of them on the cover.

Just heard the Promised Land on the radio - sounded good, never heard Jerry sound so much like Chuck before (tone wise). Like Pigpen's simple organ riffs, too. Saw this cd and record at the store last weekend, but did not get either.

i will say those tunes up at dead.net sound pretty good, especially that half step.  so good.  just want to camp out in that half step space and cross the rio grandeo.

You and me both brutha.....I love that tune!

I noticed the Alabama show has that song Sunrise in the second set.

right. not sure if that's a buzz kill or cool.  i used to like donna songs long ago, now i find them a bit annoying.

You and me both brutha.....I love that tune!

:guitar

What do folks think of Dave's Vol. 6 so far?

I'm usually pretty tolerant of the Dead's vocals, but there are some brutal moments (Mason's Children, ouch!) on the St. Louis show, which is all I got to check out so far. I agree the guitar on Black Peter is fantastic.

right. not sure if that's a buzz kill or cool.  i used to like donna songs long ago, now i find them a bit annoying.

:guitar

I wouldn't have thought they ever did that song live - but according to what I found online, they played it around 30 times.

Been using the Shows on this Day in History feature the Archive lately - listening to the 2/7/78 show now - never heard it before, it's a pretty good show.

Really good audience recording, too - plus it's Kreutzmann's B-Day.

http://archive.org/details/gd1978-05-07.fob.glassberg.motb.83498.sbeok.flac16

On another note, I am about 20 or so pages from from finishing Parish's book -- kinda is a dumb book, wish he would wrote more about the technical side of things a bit more. Loosing his whole family in the car wreck was a bit brutal, though. Dude, really enjoyed his nitrous, too. If he would have spent a tenth of the time on Jerry's guitars and amps, rather then on nitrous (or his sexual appetite), the book might have been interesting.

Luckily, I checked it out from the library --- it is a bit funny that in the spine of the book shows the hands of Jerry and Steve, passing a joint to each other, a young kid sees that in his public library and it's down hill from there. :lol

I think it may have been on one of those 5 dollar tables at Barnes and Noble. I don't recall exactly. I was looking at Grateful Dead Family Album book the other day. I wish they would have made the font bigger. It is hard to read. Still - there are some great photos in there.

Tax refund came yesterday. Dead Net announces pre-order for May '77 box yesterday. Ordered box set today. Surprise surprise.  :rolleyes

I read that Parish book when it came out. Some good stories in there but yeah, he talks too much about himself in it, imo. I always thought Parish was a roadie more in the sense of hauling gear/security than tech stuff.

I read that Parish book when it came out. Some good stories in there but yeah, he talks too much about himself in it, imo. I always thought Parish was a roadie more in the sense of hauling gear/security than tech stuff.

I thought he dealt with Jerry's gear after Parish and Mickey had a falling out over the drum setup.- could be wrong though.

Hell, a chapter on setting up the Wall of Sound would have been cool....

I thought he dealt with Jerry's gear after Parish and Mickey had a falling out over the drum setup.- could be wrong though.

Yeah, I think you're right. Parish did all the JGB shows, too....

What do guitar techs do, other than making sure the guitars are safe and putting strings on them?

Yeah, I think you're right. Parish did all the JGB shows, too....

What do guitar techs do, other than making sure the guitars are safe and putting strings on them?

Maybe, make sure the guitar strap is on securely . :lol

I am sure he was part of the studio set up for the records, too - that may have been interesting to read about.

I

Tax refund came yesterday. Dead Net announces pre-order for May '77 box yesterday. Ordered box set today. Surprise surprise.  :rolleyes

Let me know when that set arrives.... ... I'd be happy to mail you blanks.

Let me know when that set arrives.... ... I'd be happy to mail you blanks.

Ditto. I'll just have a box of XLIISs sent from Terrapin Tapes directly to you....

There is an entire book on the equipment of the Grateful Dead.  Probably my favorite of all the GD related books.  And I'm not a musician or audio gear head.

Ditto. I'll just have a box of XLIISs sent from Terrapin Tapes directly to you....

Don't forget the postage!  Heck, let's start an old time WELL tree.

There is an entire book on the equipment of the Grateful Dead.  Probably my favorite of all the GD related books.  And I'm not a musician or audio gear head.

I did check that book out once and read it - need to pick it up some day.

Parish and Phil's books are not amazing.  They are easily skimmed while hanging at the book store...when they had book stores.  I liked Blair Jackon's books best.  I return to Garcia and Going Down the Road often for info.  Of course, Box of Rain is a no brainer.  It's cool seeing all the stuff Hunter wrote that Jerry didn't use.

Terrapin Tapes!!