Let me know when that set arrives.... ... I'd be happy to mail you blanks.

ditto (clearing my throat)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto. I'll just have a box of XLIISs sent from Terrapin Tapes directly to you....

:wub  I promise I'll dub in real time. None of that high-speed shit.

Speaking of which, NOJ, that disc didn't get sent out until yesterday.....

Great!

Pretty big day in Dead history, 5/8. Best show ever?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/arts/music/12ratl.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

"Best show ever" pretty much impossible to determine. There are a number that could easily hold that moniker. I know this show took the number 1 slot in a fan poll (maybe multiple polls?). Cornell is a gem of a show, but I don't even give it the best show of that week award. That prize goes to the next night, May 9 in Buffalo. Cornell may have the best ever Scarlet>Fire.

"Best show ever" pretty much impossible to determine. 

Kind of fun to see what people's "desert island picks" would be though (if they had to pick individual shows).

Personally, I love the '72-'74 period, but am also partial to 3/1/69 as well.

This other article has some good contenders: 

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/04/09/arts/music/20090410-dead-shows-vote.html

Regarding Barton Hall - Blair Jackson blogged about that show, and according to him 928,000 people have d/l'ed that thing from Archive. If you throw in etree, old-school snail mail tape trades, etc. he estimates maybe 2 MILLION people have had that show in their possession at one time or another. DOUBLE FUCKING PLATINUM for a show that's never even been released!

What's up with the Betty Boards that are missing from the vault - does someone have them and wants money for them (David Lemieux has said numerous times that the Dead won't pay for their own reels) or are the original reels missing, outright?

What's up with the Betty Boards that are missing from the vault - does someone have them and wants money for them (David Lemieux has said numerous times that the Dead won't pay for their own reels) or are the original reels missing, outright?

There is a long story about that in the The Deadhead's Taping Compendium (Volume 2). If I recall correctly, it was about money, and the band refused to pay.

There is a long story about that in the The Deadhead's Taping Compendium (Volume 2). If I recall correctly, it was about money, and the band refused to pay.

Okay, that's what I thought - I need to reread that story.   Was it in the interview with Betty?

Okay, that's what I thought - I need to reread that story.   Was it in the interview with Betty - probably was?

Two separate articles. One is with some guy who seemed to know the story of the tapes, and then there is the interview with Betty. I have not looked at the books in a while, so I could be wrong.

You have to wonder why the tapes have not been turned over by this point. I can understand getting off on having the original reels, but you would think by this time they would be ready to hand them over.

David Lemieux talks about Cornell and other reels that are missing  below, as well as the new boxset (by way of Dead.net):

http://www.relix.com/features/2013/05/07/beyond-cornell-david-lemieux-on-the-grateful-dead-archives-and-may-1977

Thanks for the link!

I don't think I'm gonna bite on this one. How much May '77 do I really need in addition to all the shows that I already have on tape? Its not 5-8, or 5-9 and they've already put out 5-19 and 5-22 on Dicks's Picks 29 and 3, respectively.

I just get a weird disturbing feeling from Lemeiux's videos. I hate that part when he says "speaking as a Deadhead and your friend, I encourage you to pick this up because it will sell out". He just seems to be the corporate voice of Rhino, trying to create a sense of urgency to get people to buy. I subscribed to Dave's Picks this year and I'm not really that impressed with his picks, I never have been, with a few exceptions. He always way oversells how exciting the music is. I always find stuff I'm way more excited to listen to on archive.org or other sources than almost any of the official releases. The artwork and liner notes are not important to me. I do like the remastering and having a physical disc, but I don't know if its worth it for all these releases. And then they do this bullshit of limited editions, box sets in which you have to buy all five shows and can't buy them individually. Its profiteering, in my eyes. I wish they would just do barebones packaging and put out lots and lots of shows in the best quality they have. There is so much good 80s Dead I'd love to have. But it probably is not part of the profit-making business plan to do that, though. I usually try not to be cynical, but I can't help it on this one.

I agree with you guys 100% about this. However, if you're willing to take the risk, there is one other angle: resale at a profit.

I know, I know, sounds wrong, doesn't it? But think about it: if you buy it, and aren't that thrilled with it, you can always burn a copy for yourself and/or your friends (hint, hint), and resell the original on Amazon or eBay or whatnot. I made about $15 off resale of my Vol. 5, totally guilt-free, and they are now going for $20 more than I sold mine for, so I feel I sold it for a comparatively reasonable price.

I know I'm encouraging you to be my competitors, but I'm just saying...I definitely won't pay an exorbitant markup on a "limited" release, but someone else might.

I never resold a ticket for more than face, and I certainly would never sell a release for profit. I wouldn't sell any release, period. 

And as far as parting with the money, it never figured into it when we were buying tickets for all those shows, along with the food, gas, and lodging. I'm almost stone-cold broke, but I'll live on PB&J sammiches if that's what it takes to get the releases. I can think of far worse ways to spend cash.

I guess it's all about perspective. Many of us sell our used CDs, books, and/or other items on Amazon, usually for a small fraction of what we paid for them. Nothing illegal about that. If the Dead organization chooses this Limited Edition business model, it actually encourages people to resell these things, new or used, at a premium. Once I bought it and burned it, I was done with the artifact. I priced mine below everyone else, and it still sold almost immediately. Go figure.

By the way, Dave's Picks Vol. 6 is now listing for $140.00+ on Amazon, way more than what I was talking about.